Your Daily Commute

Gus Mears

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm back at that stage of the year when the drive takes twenty minutes longer each way because every fucker is back at work and can't be bothered to cycle/walk if they are able to because the weather is grim.

75 in and 85 back. Hateful and I feel dead before Tuesday has started.

10 minute walk to the bus stop and a 15-20 minute bus ride (depending on how full/empty the stops are) into the city centre then a 5 minute straight walk to work. Coming home is a bit longer as I can be waiting up to 20 mins for a bus to show so don't tend to get in till 9.45pm after finishing at 9

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

I'm still waiting for @Accident Prone to confirm which Nordic country he lives in.

Haha! Birmingham and It's a fucking shite state of affairs. I don't drive in snow/icy conditions; I had a crash a few years back in similar weather which totalled my car and my confidence with winter driving. There's no way to work without going up/down a big hill or on country roads, so I'm pretty much grounded to public transport during those conditions. Walking takes about 70 minutes but you arrive sweaty and fucked due to all the fucking hills and the part where you walk through a farm/forest is arduous when it's laden with massive snow drifts.

And there is no straight bus route to the office. Imagine three sides of a rectangle, starting from one of the long sides; those are the three connecting bus journeys I have to embark on and then the same for the way back. Load of fucking shite. I may as well commute to Finland.

30 mile drive which takes an hour, occasionally a bit more.  It’s quite pretty especially this time of year, 10 miles of it are over a bridge across a bay, so sunrise in the am, sunset at night, dolphins etc. 

The other 20 miles are concrete jungle. I miss working from home.

My company pays for my accommodation which is a full apartment ina. Hotel complex in the tower opposite. My commute these days consist of going down 1 lift walking 50 metres and back up another lift. It's one thing I'm very grateful for after years of having to snake through traffic for an hour picking up half the office because my business partner at the time couldn't get to the office himself and every other fucker wanted a lift. 

If I'm working on Glasgow, which tends to be 80% of the time, I get a bus that takes 20 mins then i have a 15 minute walk to the office. I quite like that as it gives me the chance to wake up a bit if I'm leaving the house at 7. Obviously not so good when it rains. Or when schools are off as the bus is less regular and First Glasgow seem to have some kind of magic fleet that disappears from the live app 1 minute before it's due.

The Edinburgh office isn't too bad as it's right beside the station so although I get the longer, slower train I'm still there in 50 mins or so. Again, that's assuming that Scotrail don't develop any train faults or have a shortage of staff. It's a big line by Scottish standards so often a problem 90 miles away will delay my journey for an hour. Thankfully work pays for those journeys though, 25 quid return every day would cripple me.

Archived