Your Daily Commute

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
Just now, Ralphy said:

does anyone find that when the kids are off school for half term that commutes are generally quicker and better? When i had my scooter or used the bus for previous jobs, it was so much quicker and quieter i found when this was the case.

goes to show how much traffic is caused by the school run 

Yep, it's fresh hell. I'll vote for whatever party puts a manifesto commitment to start school at 3 in the morning at the next election. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

does anyone find that when the kids are off school for half term that commutes are generally quicker and better? When i had my scooter or used the bus for previous jobs, it was so much quicker and quieter i found when this was the case.

goes to show how much traffic is caused by the school run 

Luckily from now on the only thing to slow me down now will be slow moving stubborn ducks! 

Our estate is surrounded by 3 schools and getting home around 3-4pm is all kinds of hell. 

Kids, pissing about on a Zebra crossing 20 yards from a busy roundabout usually means the traffic is backed up and an accident is sure to happen. Then you have inconsiderate parents who park their cars anywhere blocking entrances and drives. 

The summer and Easter holidays are absolute bliss. 

• Paid Members

Worst commute I ever had was two hours each way. I'd just graduated from uni, and was basically skint. Got a job with an agency QA testing mobile phones for Sharp Telecom in Bracknell in Berkshire. Had to commute from north London (Finsbury Park area) into Waterloo, then take an all-stops train because the express didn't stop at Bracknell. Shit service that frequently delayed or cancelled and was frequently over-crowded, half my money earned that week spent on tickets (wasn't being paid all that much - suspected those agency fuckers were taking an indecent chunk), and the workplace was fifteen minutes' walk from the station through what must be one of the most passive-aggressively-depressing places in the UK and therefore the world. Would barely get back home in time to have any rest before having to get to sleep. Only good things about the job were that it had one of the only decent bosses I've ever worked for, and the canteen was really good.

My commute at the moment is an absolute pain in the arse.

Get up at 10 past 7. Shower for five minutes. Leave the house at 7.35 to catch the 7.41 bus to the City Centre. Now, during the summer holidays/school holidays, it's bliss. 25 minute bus ride. No stresses. But during the term, the bus is packed with students, which adds more time to the journey because it's overcrowded and takes at least 35 minutes to town.

Then if I'm lucky to get to town on time, I wait for a 8.20 bus to the furthest place in the city, and depending on traffic, get there by 8.50. When I miss my bus thanks to the students/traffic, I usually have a 15 minute wait for another bus, and get to work by 9:15, causing me to be 15 minutes late.

Getting home is even worse! Sometimes I finish work at 8pm, and have to get the bus to town, and wait for the 9.25pm train, and don't get home until 9:50. 

My commute these days isn't too bad. Half hour tops (assuming no troubles on the roads) in the car and I get to choose my own hours so unless I am feeling really lazy I either leave before rush hour or afterwards. Even in rush hour it may add an extra 15-20 minutes at worst.

That said in previous jobs I have had to get the train into London and have also driven on the worst roads in and around London, my worst was probably doing the Dartford crossing every day for the best part of a year, I can honestly say that I probably only made it through without traffic a handful of times. It was at least a 60 minute commute without traffic.

17 minute walk to station, 55 minute train journey, 13 minutes walk into work. Train always longer going home cos of rush hour. I don't hate it like I used to, reading, web browsing, etc. Used to have a 20 minute drive when I was in the states. 

I think the worst thing these days is the endless announcements on the train, both automated and uber-garrulous conductors. I know they're given a spiel but every day's a talk radio audition for half of them. "First class seating is for first class ticket holders only." No shit! 

• Paid Members

45-min walk from the gym or 25-min jog from home at the shortest depending on sleep, crockedness or laziness; weather will only be an issue if there's ice around in the next few months.

Worstbus can do one in the mornings.

25 minute walk, either along a busy road for 5 minutes followed by a 20 minute walk along a private drive and campus, or a 20 minute walk through farmland, woods and past a lake followed by 2 minutes through campus. if I'm feeling lazy, a 5 minute drive.

Prior to moving to where I live now, it was a fifteen minute walk to a train station, 15 minute train journey, walk to a bus stop, 45 minute bus journey full of students being nobheads. I like living where I do now.

Long term sick (chronic nerve and muscle damage), so when the painkillers wear off, I'll make coffee. 30 mins later the caffeine poo and some mobile game (Picross at the moment).

Worst commute I ever had was 45 min bus ride, followed by up to 2 hours on trains for a 6 hour shift then the reverse. Fucking JobCentre rules on commuting (may have changed, this was a while ago)

• Paid Members

Get out of bed at 4.45am. Leave the house between 5.55/6. Drive 17 (the first 10 on shitty, winding back roads) miles to my mum's house to leave my dog off so he can hang out with his other furry friends at mum's house for the day. Drag my brother out the door to do the next 14 miles of the commute.

I usually pull up at work around the 6.52/55 mark, get parked, dander accross to the office whilst texting my woman that I made it safely - a duty that's insisted on every morning due to having occasionally fallen asleep at the wheel before. 

So, 31 miles in total, usually over a span of 55 minutes door to door. 

• Paid Members

I get up at 6.30, 10 minute walk to the station, train at 7.10 into City Thameslink gets in at 8.03 (more likely 8.10) then 30 min walk to the office in order to avoid the tube.

Used to be far worse. Previously did 1hr 45 mins each way involvng 3 trains in he morning and same in the evening and a 10 min walk either side of that. Not a super happy time in my life! 

• Paid Members

90 minutes on the bus each way.

I'm not even that far from work but it's in a remote location and only one bus passes it. Unfortunately, it goes everywhere else too. After 30 minutes on the bus I'm actually further away from home than when I got on.

In the morning I can get a quicker bus to the nearest town and then dick about for half an hour waiting on the slow bus going the other way but Stagecoach can be really unpredictable. Last week the connecting bus left from the wrong stance and I had to shell out £12 for a taxi. It doesn't give me anymore time in bed anyway.

I really need to invest in a moped or something.

Archived