Banging Sunsets

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I don't have any photographs but there are two places I'll always remember experiencing pretty phenomenal sunsets. The first was in Cadiz. To the North West of the city, there's a fortress built about a mile out to sea, connected to the mainland by a long walkway. The last time I was there, I decided to cross it as the sun was about to set for a perfect view. Walking out there with the waves crashing all around me and watching the sun sink behind that foreboding fortress was a wonderful experience. While walking there and back, I passed by happy families, old couples, teenage lovebirds, seemingly all locals out for an evening stroll. At one part, I passed a newly married husband and wife getting some official wedding photographs taken. It was all very idyllic and I don't think I've ever felt as content. Cadiz is a wonderful little city and I highly recommend it.

The other place is Cape St Vincent bang on the South West corner of Portugal. It is the most Southwesterly point that one can get to in mainland Europe and that's what made seeing the sunset there so memorable for me. There was something quite spectacular I found about watching the sun creeping below the horizon knowing that you stood right at the precipice of a continent. Over that way there was nothing but open sea between us and the Americas? And that way, that smaller stretch of water would carry you to Africa. I've always enjoyed thinking such things. 

Now even though I don't have pictures of either of those, it'd be a shame to make a post in this sort of thread just a couple of paragraphs of bland text. So here's two entirely unrelated sunsets I actually do have. The first is from the top of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh and the second is from a wee cove near North Berwick beach at a summer university camping trip/piss up.

42982619_718010335221133_452591112347975

43036603_337487353490516_381839761316669

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

This is from a couple of summers ago in glorious Old Hunstanton in Norfolk. Seen a few beautiful sunsets in the county over the years - living in London is great but I don’t half miss views like this on the coast. I absolutely, positively have to move to the beach one day. 

C05B003A-2F4B-4122-B599-1DEE030CA2FD.jpeg.878d16fa531f8f3f698680d9c1931039.jpeg

• Paid Members

I didn't get a photo, but one of the most awe-inspiring things I have ever seen was the sunset on Santorini in Greece this summer. The entire wedding party that was there all just stood, motionless and transfixed on the horizon as the sun sky went through the most amazing array of colours...

• Paid Members

I'm lucky because my office faces out over the docks in Preston and this time of year you get some crazy colours in the sunsets, literally different every day. Obviously it's probably the least glamorous place you can enjoy a sunset but still...

25651845706_4e5ca810ea_k.jpg

docks .JPG

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Wow. Can't believe that's Preston!

Yep, If you turn and face the other way you get a lovely view of a KFC and the bus station in the distance as a stark reminder you're in Preston. It's a real shame they don't do more with the dock.

docks sunset_1resize.jpg

• Paid Members

Not a great pic, as I hadn't properly figured out my phone's camera at the time (turns out you can only zoom with the "expand" gesture with the fingers), but I went for quite a few evening walks in my local area over the summer, and at one point caught a gorgeous view of Alexandra Palace in the approaching sunset:

IMG_20180620_212428.thumb.jpg.3270a3097328c3f2454483c6d516e0d5.jpgIMG_20180620_212348.thumb.jpg.d71ca5ea1c1d521eb487305cc00d1217.jpg

• Paid Members

Strictly speaking, not a banging sunset, but it's a sunrise from when I was on my way to give my then-girlfriend a banging. I was just driving along Brick Kiln Lane, spotted it, pulled over and got a few snaps of it. It's one of my favourites though, and it's found its way to being Photoshopped into other pictures on a few occasions.

aDSC_0187.jpg