VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

Exactly.  And outside of militant vegans, if we all want to move towards a less meat-heavy future then any options for plant-based or vegtarian eating should be welcomed.  Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good, and all that.

• Paid Members

I agree with you on that. And I think people should go and buy this stuff to show there is a demand. As I have said previously, whilst KFC is obviously a massive chicken killing enterprise, if they see a demand for chicken replacements, then they will have to adapt or die.

@BomberPat for me, I will go to these places or buy these items for famously not vegan food outlets, because 1) Again to show people want it, but also 2) Where I live I have no vegeterian or vegan restaurants/cafes. So If I am out and want to get something to eat, I know I have these options. And also, it does make it easier to go out with people to eat because were the only non meat eaters in our circle of friends. Yesterday we went to Pizza Express because the kids wanted to go and I had a nice pasta dish, heck even Nando's has some good options.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I assume these are the ones Keith is talking about. The chili and lime ones in particular are fantastic.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-real-chilli-lemon-lentil-chips-60032949

And if you're into the texture of wheat crunchies instead of real crisps they are not too dissimilar.

The mango & mint lentil chips are the absolute tits, haven't tried the chilli & lime version. Will have to hunt them down.

7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'd say if you're dedicated to a vegan diet then it's a bit odd to be buying food in Burger King or KFC in the first place, but then I concede that you might be there with mates.

You could say the same about practically anywhere that sells food, are "dedicated" vegans supposed to stop shopping at Tesco too because of all the meat and animal products they sell where a good amount of the animals are treated just as bad if not worse. Vegans still don't have the luxury to pick and choose where to shop.

2 minutes ago, David said:

That's the difference between being able to "kick off" outside the slaughter house, or having to work inside the fucking place on a zero-hours contract to keep the rent paid!

That’s one of the good things about fast food places and supermarkets doing a few vegan things, accessibility. As I say, where I live is pretty affluent and has good transport links, but matey who works at the Amazon factory a few miles down the road isn’t going to wait for a bus after their shift to head to the Chorlton vegan paradise for the weekly shop. I always try to never take it for granted that I have a lot of choice for ingredients where I live, there is even an all vegan fast food place. 

• Paid Members

Thing is I think this is something we generally all recognise as being understandable anyway. Plenty of Muslim and Jewish people work in places that sell pork or seafood or alcohol, same with Hindus working in places that sell beef, or Sikhs working in places that sell halal food, or decent people working in places that sell The Sun.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The Rebel Whopper has egg in the mayo, so it isn’t even plant based, because eggs aren’t a plant. It is a plant based patty prepared and served like a beef patty. Weird thing to do when everyone is trying to do it properly. 

They did the same in the states with it as well

• Paid Members

Maybe they're just road-testing the patty recipe, seeing if it goes down well, before going full vegan with it? That's the only explanation I can think of.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Or it's aimed at flexitarians, as previously posited. Byron do a flex burger that's half meat and half mushroom; it's nice.

Sorry, I should've been clearer - that's what I was aiming at, that they were targeting flexitarians as a means of road-testing the patty. I would've thought it wouldn't be something to aim purely at them permanently; they can't be that large a market, surely?

Edited by Carbomb