VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

I don't understand the point of a 50% Meat and 50% Plant burger. The whole concept is stupid. If you want to be a flexiterian, just eat a vegan burger.Most immitation burgers now are really good at mimicking actual meat. It's one of the things which they get right nearly everytime.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Or it's aimed at flexitarians, as previously posited. Byron do a flex burger that's half meat and half mushroom; it's nice.

I was just pointing out that there was more to it than using the same grill. They called something plant based and then put egg in it, Why anyone would aim at “flexitarians” is mind boggling, I don’t even understand why there is a word for someone who just eats slightly less animal products 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I was just pointing out that there was more to it than using the same grill. They called something plant based and then put egg in it, Why anyone would aim at “flexitarians” is mind boggling, I don’t even understand why there is a word for someone who just eats slightly less animal products 

When you have to put down dietary requirements for things, there is a reason Vegan, Vegeterian and sometimes Pesceterian are on there. Never Flexiterian. Just say your a casual Vegeterian or something.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't understand the point of a 50% Meat and 50% Plant burger. The whole concept is stupid. If you want to be a flexiterian, just eat a vegan burger.Most immitation burgers now are really good at mimicking actual meat. It's one of the things which they get right nearly everytime.

A) the imitation burgers are not as good as you think they are. If you don't eat meat you might think that, but anyone who does still eat beef will tell you the substitutes don't taste the same at all.

B) people would eat it because they want to cut down on their red meat for health reasons but don't want to give up the taste and don't have any ethical issues with meat eating.

But sure, feel free to keep telling us you understand Burger King's business model better than they do and that they are the idiots.

Just say your a casual Vegeterian or something.

oh, or I dunno, maybe it would be easier if there was a single word that succinctly conveyed the approach that you aren't strict veggie but acre trying to reduce the amount of meat you eat to have a more balanced diet. Do you even understand what language is?

Kat - yes, fully understand your mayo point. Makes sense.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

21 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Maybe it would be easier if there was a single word that succinctly conveyed the approach that you aren't strict veggie but acre trying to reduce the amount of meat you eat to have a more balanced diet. Do you even understand what language is?

Is there a word for people who eat less than ten packets of crisps a day? Because I do sometimes eat crisps, but I don’t eat them all the time 

• Paid Members

There's an interesting point around what Burger King (and others) have done in how they're going with 'plant-based'. I get that it's not being purely marketed towards vegans, but 'plant-based' has been pretty synonymous with vegan up until now.

By moving away from that, it's not becoming inaccurate - it is, after all, 'plant-based'. But it's taking some vegan terminology and removing it from veganism. The difficulty here is that it's still non-meat-eaters who will be interested, and they're going to be more likely to be pissed off by it - it's a term that's had dietary significance up until now. You could basically assume plant-based = vegan. That changing, and the conversation around it not being that public or that well-communicated is frustrating.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

A) the imitation burgers are not as good as you think they are. If you don't eat meat you might think that, but anyone who does still eat beef will tell you the substitutes don't taste the same at all.

B) people would eat it because they want to cut down on their red meat for health reasons but don't want to give up the taste and don't have any ethical issues with meat eating.

But sure, feel free to keep telling us you understand Burger King's business model better than they do and that they are the idiots.

oh, or I dunno, maybe it would be easier if there was a single word that succinctly conveyed the approach that you aren't strict veggie but acre trying to reduce the amount of meat you eat to have a more balanced diet. Do you even understand what language is?

Kat - yes, fully understand your mayo point. Makes sense.

A) I went from eating meat to stopping overnight. Whilst some burgers aren't as good as I think they are, have an impossible burger and tell me it doesn't taste like beef. TBH unless you eat your burgers completely plain, they sauces play a big part. My wife was still eating meat when I took her to Temple of Seitan, she ate a burger and was surprised by how much it tasted like a regular burger, but she pointed out because of the condiments this played a part.

B)Your still eating red meat. If you can't for one meal cut that other 50% out, I am sorry but I think it's pointless. As to Burger King, my opinion is, compared to all the other companies getting involved in Veganuary, they have put something out which has alienated 99% of Vegans who would have tried it because of cross contamination. So yes, I do think it is stupid and makes them look stupid. I don't believe the flexiterian market was it's intention, and that it is PR spin. It was launched as a Vegan burger in the states, and then they had to put the hands up after.

These are just my opinions, and opinions are like arseholes. We all have one.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

39 minutes ago, Chris B said:

By moving away from that, it's not becoming inaccurate - it is, after all, 'plant-based'

Well the burger is plant based but the sauce on it isn’t. Can’t say it’s plant based if they put an egg on it. Plant based shouldn’t mean they can add animal products because the main part is plants.

If they can get a plant burger they are happy with, the mayo shouldn’t have been a problem. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well the burger is plant based but the sauce on it isn’t. Can’t say it’s plant based if they put an egg on it. Plant based shouldn’t mean they can add animal products because the main part is plants.

If they can get a plant burger they are happy with, the mayo shouldn’t have been a problem. 

Not sure what mayo they use in the KFC burger, but it was a pretty good one. I am sure Burger King use Hellmans anyway, and they do a Vegan version

32 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not sure what mayo they use in the KFC burger, but it was a pretty good one. I am sure Burger King use Hellmans anyway, and they do a Vegan version

Yeah the Hellmans vegan mayo is great, no excuse for not using it other than poor planning 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

But also the 'cooked on same grill' bit as well. These are things that would stop it being labelled 'vegan', but they can still advertise as 'plant-based'. It's fucking annoying, but it's interesting from a standards/marketing point.