Sign in to follow this  
UK Kat Von D

VeganMania

Aldi's sweet potato burgers are nice, texture wise it's closer to a fishcake but tasted good. Not going vegan but my wife wanted to try some new food options for the new year which I'm all in favour of.

Burger King launched the Rebel Whopper in the UK today via their app, regular sale is Wednesday. Unfortunately it is not made by Impossible as it is in the US, also, it isn't suitable for Vegans or Vegeterians because they cook it on the same grill as their regular burgers. They are aiming it solely at flexiterians apparently. Idiots. 

Perfect for me then!  We've moved more heavily into vegetarianism, being fully veggie at least 4 days a week.  I reckon we've cut at least 50% of our meat intake if not more.

The Rebel Whopper ads in the US on during the NFL make it look pretty good.  I wonder how this UK version will stack up.

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

Perfect for me then!  We've moved more heavily into vegetarianism, being fully veggie at least 4 days a week.  I reckon we've cut at least 50% of our meat intake if not more.

The Rebel Whopper ads in the US on during the NFL make it look pretty good.  I wonder how this UK version will stack up.

As only a pesceterian, I will give it a go (I am not that bothered about the same grill as the heat they cook it on burns most of it off), mainly as I have had the US version and want to know how it compares. Still think it's stupid to launch a plant based burger, in Veganuary, and then alienate the target audience

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Still think it's stupid

We've established in this thread that you need to keep making small progress forward. I guarantee they've projected sales of this in the UK versus sacrificing the grill space / installing a new one just for vegans and it hasn't stacked up. If it sells enough to warrant the space or customer feedback is that they won't eat it because of how it's prepared PepsiCo won't leave money on the table. 

Just as plausibly, they either haven't considered that sharing the same grill would put it off-limits to most vegans, or else don't care because an awful lot of people won't know or care either way - they'll see "vegan burger" on the menu and order it, if they haven't read the headlines. I imagine most people doing "Veganuary" likely won't give a toss. Any time you're ordering food out it's a calculated risk, in that you put your trust in the establishment to deliver on what's promised.

I'd say if you're dedicated to a vegan diet then it's a bit odd to be buying food in Burger King or KFC in the first place, but then I concede that you might be there with mates.

Edited by BomberPat

23 hours ago, mim731 said:

Anyone got a good scrambled tofu recipe? Assuming it's pretty straight forward but not something I've tried before. 

Honestly, you can't really go wrong. I tend to use Tofoo brand stuff, as it's a decent consistency, and you can get pre-flavoured variants so even people as hopeless at cooking as me can manage it.

Then really all you have to do is crumble it up, mix it with whatever you want to add - salt, pepper and turmeric will normally do the job - and fry it in oil for 5-10 minutes or so. Experiment with adding other bits and pieces to it until you find what works - I tend to lob it in a bit of vegan butter, maybe add salsa or mustard to give it a bit of a kick. If you've got a bit of black salt, that tends to make it taste more like egg, if it's what you're going for. 

11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'd say if you're dedicated to a vegan diet then it's a bit odd to be buying food in Burger King or KFC in the first place

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/kfc-vegan-burger-chicken-vegetarian-17512099

"KFC admits selling chicken instead of vegan burger to vegetarians" 

Just now, SuperBacon said:

I find with scrambled tofu that if you like your spicy food and are lazy a fajita mix or similar suffices too @mim731

I am both lazy, and a fan of spicy food so that should work a treat, cheers!

5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/kfc-vegan-burger-chicken-vegetarian-17512099

"KFC admits selling chicken instead of vegan burger to vegetarians" 

tbf, that's a really blown out of proportion story of someone being misheard and served the wrong item. The story is basically "woman orders and is given chicken fillet burger". 

I'm more thinking that if you're vegan on ethical grounds, how much do those ethics really count for if you're still giving your money to a takeaway whose business model is built on wholesale slaughter? 

Exactly.  And outside of militant vegans, if we all want to move towards a less meat-heavy future then any options for plant-based or vegtarian eating should be welcomed.  Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good, and all that.

I agree with you on that. And I think people should go and buy this stuff to show there is a demand. As I have said previously, whilst KFC is obviously a massive chicken killing enterprise, if they see a demand for chicken replacements, then they will have to adapt or die.

@BomberPat for me, I will go to these places or buy these items for famously not vegan food outlets, because 1) Again to show people want it, but also 2) Where I live I have no vegeterian or vegan restaurants/cafes. So If I am out and want to get something to eat, I know I have these options. And also, it does make it easier to go out with people to eat because were the only non meat eaters in our circle of friends. Yesterday we went to Pizza Express because the kids wanted to go and I had a nice pasta dish, heck even Nando's has some good options.