VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Rey_Piste said:

I was talking more about the conditions of the animals on the farms, rather than the conditions the animals are slaughtered in.

I just wonder what your stance is on someone like a friend of mine who I always call a "middle-class Good Life wanker".He runs a small campsite in Cornwall, he keeps goats, ducks and chickens as well as growing a lot of his own vegetables. He's not solely vegetarian, but the majority of his food is plant based. He will occasionally kill a chicken or duck to eat, as well as killing rabbits in season because they are pests that if left unchecked would decimate his vegetables. Because he is killing the animals himself they are killed quickly and he takes good care of his animals .

Is that what he refers to as Fast Food?

@Keith Houchen well a bacon sandwich has a huge amount more of an impact than a bit of sniff or cigarettes. It’s like comparing having one beer with a month long bender. In terms of scale they don’t compare, to expect people to ditch everything that has some kind of connection with exploitation at some point is unreasonable unless you live an extremely limited life. 
I wear vegan Dr Martens but that company profits from animals. There is a much closer connection there than a cigarette brand’s parent company also owning a company which tests on animals. Veganism isn’t an exact science 

@Rey_Piste that sounds on the higher end of using animal products and the closest thing to “ethically” eating meat. I couldn’t kill an animal that didn’t need to die though.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Had the veggie meatballs from subway for lunch. Not great, tbh. Texture was ok and the sauce was nice but the flavour was a bit odd. Still, nearly 200 calories less than meaty-meatballs so I'd go for them again.

Snap! I really enjoyed it. I hadn’t had a meatball marinara for years so had no real recollection of what it was like but I thought it was a pretty decent imitation. I didn’t pay attention to the calories but that’s good to know, I reckon I’d go for again. Tried Gregg’s vegan steak bake a few days ago too, found the “steak” a bit grainy but it was tasty enough, surprised how rich the gravy was. Another solid effort by them. 

19 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

well a bacon sandwich has a huge amount more of an impact than a bit of sniff or cigarettes

But it’s relative. One bacon sandwich a year compared to a years worth of heavy use? It doesn’t matter, the fact is they BOTH impact animal abuse. It’s one size fits all, it’s a principle or it’s a hobby. 

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

@Rey_Piste that sounds on the higher end of using animal products and the closest thing to “ethically” eating meat. I couldn’t kill an animal that didn’t need to die though.

That's the difference between him and you really he is more concerned about his environmental impact than any perceived morality when it comes to the eating of meat.It's why he converted his Landrover to LPG/Biofuel and when he buys food it's always locally sourced whenever possible.

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But it’s relative. One bacon sandwich a year compared to a years worth of heavy use? It doesn’t matter, the fact is they BOTH impact animal abuse. It’s one size fits all, it’s a principle or it’s a hobby. 

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

First of all it's maths, not math, you're not a septic. Secondly an entire hog roast would most likely be less environmentally damaging than a kilo of sniff when you take into account processing and transporting it. As for flying you can use carbon offsetting certificates to give money to plant trees that would making your flight carbon neutral or even carbon negative.

40 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

My point is it doesn’t matter which is worse and by what degree, if it’s against a principle it’s against a principle. Yeah I remember when you told me the amount of birds that die due to planes, I was astounded. Offsetting is a great idea, I think you show the huge difference between “Yeah it’s bad but I can’t make a difference so I won’t bother” and “Yeah it’s bad so I will do what I can to lessen my impact”. You’re taking personal responsibility and I think that’s becoming the norm, thankfully!

16 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

First of all it's maths, not math, you're not a septic. Secondly an entire hog roast would most likely be less environmentally damaging than a kilo of sniff when you take into account processing and transporting it. As for flying you can use carbon offsetting certificates to give money to plant trees that would making your flight carbon neutral or even carbon negative.

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.

20 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.

Coca production is terrible for the environment, because you have the farmers clearing sections of rain forest to grow it and you have the government spraying chemicals from the sky to kill off plots. This ends up being a constant cycle of trees being cut because their plot has been destroyed and then it ends up being sprayed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_production_in_Colombia#Environmental_Effects

Pigs on the other hand are actually fairly good for their environment, they can be reared on land that is low in nutrients where crops wouldn't grow. They then root around in the ground and shit everywhere which turns the soil over naturally whilst providing nutrients to it. Las Vegas is a great example of this because their pig farms are taking a load of waste from the excessive buffets and feeding the pigs with it instead of it just being sent to landfill. Then you move the pigs off that land and starting growing crops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRprZ8C93g

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

...Nah, he can't be using a discussion on ethics to humble-brag, surely.

I hope nobody bites...

*nobody bites*

46 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Never change, Maxwell.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Coca production is terrible for the environment, because you have the farmers clearing sections of rain forest to grow it and you have the government spraying chemicals from the sky to kill off plots. This ends up being a constant cycle of trees being cut because their plot has been destroyed and then it ends up being sprayed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_production_in_Colombia#Environmental_Effects

Pigs on the other hand are actually fairly good for their environment, they can be reared on land that is low in nutrients where crops wouldn't grow. They then root around in the ground and shit everywhere which turns the soil over naturally whilst providing nutrients to it. Las Vegas is a great example of this because their pig farms are taking a load of waste from the excessive buffets and feeding the pigs with it instead of it just being sent to landfill. Then you move the pigs off that land and starting growing crops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRprZ8C93g

I won't comment too much here as I don't have much to add that is particularly informed but as someone who has a small holding I can confirm pigs are wonderful for the environment. They clear our over run and useless land and turn it over, 18 months later it's most arable land on my property.

Edited by ElCece