VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

I’m massively struggling with crisps. 

As I’ve mentioned before I sometimes can eat up to 10 packs a day so this is a load of bollocks quite frankly. 

And yoghurts. But that’s mainly to do with the price. I’ll easily eat all 4 of the Morrisons own brand ones at 44p as I can but an Alpro at a quid isn’t as easy to do. 

Still, feel a lot healthier to be honest. Maybe it’s a placebo effect who knows, but I do.

Feeling healthier comes as part of consciously eating more natural plant based foods.

As I stick to whole foods anyway, I found my stint at Veganuary last year pretty straight forward. Before doing it, I looked at my existing diet and subbed out the non-vegan macros for vegan ones, so I knew I had plenty of options.

Although I did feel better, friends and family did tell me how much weight I lost (around 7 lbs over the month) so my maths was obviously out (I didn't change my fitness routine at all). I didn't get on with tofu at all (too much faff) and found the cheese subs especially pongy.

I have since reduced my non-vegan foods, but if I was honest, at best I could see myself going halfway house like ovo-pescatarian. I consciously look for ethical, free range or organic sources, which I didn't before. I also don't skip past the veggie and vegan options when eating out either, which I used to.

Some hard-line vegans may call this piecemeal, but fortunately my vegan friends aren't like that. I think variety and price are the key things that will make people switch without any level of guilt-tripping, and I think a focus on sustainable, rotated, efficient farming methods for all crops and livestock is the real key to long term cultural and ecological benefits.

Regarding crisps, can’t remember the brand name but there is a company that do a range of lentil, chickpea and quinoa based crisps which are delicious. The salted lentil crisps are incredibly moreish though. 

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Regarding crisps, can’t remember the brand name but there is a company that do a range of lentil, chickpea and quinoa based crisps which are delicious. The salted lentil crisps are incredibly moreish though. 

Aldi do a fair few crisps like that, really nice too.

32 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Anyone got a good scrambled tofu recipe? Assuming it's pretty straight forward but not something I've tried before. 

Not tried them myself, but I saw Matthew Prichard make these on TV a while back and they looked nice.

I did make the baked beans though and they were lovely.

Edited by Slapnut

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah Keith, always good for a laugh as always.

I’m used to inhaling multipacks of Wheat Crunchies and you’re talking to me about LENTIL crisps? Fuck off 

@mim731 I just went with this first time I did it. But it depends on what you like with spices and seasoning etc 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegan_fried_breakfast_34182

Edited by SuperBacon
I MISS CRISPS

Bought a caramel and sea salt galaxy bar from Tesco today, it is very nice. 

My first day went well, only hiccup was dinner which was home made pizza. Did not realise that the puff pastry was not vegan 😖.

I really need to fine a good cheese as well, the one I had was too sweet and got sickly after a few slices. 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Ah Keith, always good for a laugh as always.

I’m used to inhaling multipacks of Wheat Crunchies and you’re talking to me about LENTIL crisps? Fuck off 

@mim731 I just went with this first time I did it. But it depends on what you like with spices and seasoning etc 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegan_fried_breakfast_34182

I assume these are the ones Keith is talking about. The chili and lime ones in particular are fantastic.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-real-chilli-lemon-lentil-chips-60032949

And if you're into the texture of wheat crunchies instead of real crisps they are not too dissimilar.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Yeah I’ve had them, they are wicked and I’ve had the ones Keith mentioned. I’m just cranky as I’m not used to picking and choosing what crisps I can eat. 

This is worse than when I tried to quit caffeine. Honestly if full fat Coke wasn’t vegan I’d sack the whole thing off.

26 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I assume these are the ones Keith is talking about.

That’s the fuckers! Surprised they don’t already stock them in the organic zero carbon footprint street food shack at some wanky new football ground.