VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, BomberPat said:

We don't have an Asda :(

I'll have to check Holland & Barrett, not seen them there before. I tried the Quorn "savoury eggs", but found them far too dry. The Coach & Horses in Soho used to do an amazing veggie scotch egg, before they went full vegan.

Theirs were really good, agreed. But they added 'Tofush and chips', which is really nice - tofu wrapped in seaweed and fried in batter. Between that and Nicholson's pubs Battered Halloumi and chips, it's good to know veggies can be as unhealthy as anyone else.

49 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Looks great! What's the stuff the in the box? Looks like a cross between nuggets and bhajis - bhuggets.

49 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Looks great! What's the stuff the in the box? Looks like a cross between nuggets and bhajis - bhuggets.

Got one box of popcorn chicken style bites, the best mac and cheese ever and a one of their classic burgers.

Was never a fan of mac and cheese until I started Gavin the vegan version

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Theirs were really good, agreed. But they added 'Tofush and chips', which is really nice - tofu wrapped in seaweed and fried in batter. Between that and Nicholson's pubs Battered Halloumi and chips, it's good to know veggies can be as unhealthy as anyone else.

Cider battered haloumi is gorgeous stuff. The hotel I stay at when I'm working in Plymouth does it with Pesto mushy peas, which as posh nosh was an absolute revelation.

In terms of veggies being able to eat unhealthily, I think I hit my pinnacle on that a couple of months ago, when my takeaway of choice en route to an after-party was a battered bean burger topped with two hash browns, an onion ring, a fried egg, cheese, and lashings of sweet chilli sauce. Gorgeous stuff.

4_FDDF525_9610_425_B_B88_F_511_F39_E8229

By Chloe in Covent Garden. Hadn’t eaten in about 28 hours so this went down really  easy. The tofu fish was actually nice and I’m usually only a fan of scrambled tofu. Would totally recommend 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

725_BA2_DE_8000_41_E8_A68_C_372_FCEB9_BF

Back in Birmingham and the hectic past couple days have started to take their toll. Luckily Yo Sushi has an amazing vegan selection to help me deal with life. Here we have Vegetable Tempura, Vegetable Yakisoba, Tofu Katsu Curry and Spicy Pepper Cauliflower

Edited by UK Kat Von D

26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Has anyone had any luck with vegan leather jackets? I've got a lovely pair of paratrooper boots but jackets seem harder to come by without looking shit.

Not yet. I’ve still got my old real leather one that I’ve had for years, but I’m ready to retire it now. I don’t believe in waste and always thought I’d wear it until it was falling apart before getting a vegan one. But now I haven’t worn it in months because of the summer and I think I’d just feel really uncomfortable putting it back on. When I find one I’ll give you a heads up. In the meantime I reckon I’m just gonna put a patch on the back saying “I bought this before I went vegan”

Vegan Dr Martens are amazing though. I’ve managed to get them to increase their range and 12/14 holes should be out this winter. My current pair took about a day to wear in and left the most minor of blisters. Wore them brand new to a festival and had no problems at all! 

I've still not tried the vegan Docs, I've been buying my boots from "Vegetarian Shoes" for their 14 hole-ers. I've got my eye on some cherry reds tho.

2 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Vegan leather? You mean PVC right?

There are multiple vegan alternatives to leather, my boots are made from something called Vegetan.

46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah, if you call it vegan leather you can charge an extra 80 quid for it.

Dr Martens are actually priced pretty much the same. The collection is a little thin, but new stuff is on the way

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/c/mens-boots?q=%3Arelevance%3Acollection%3AVegan&text=#

Worst thing I bought just because they used the word Vegan in the branding was a BBQ from Argos.

vegan-bbq-argos-barbecue-1530272373.jpg?

I would say it’s the worst tenner I’ve ever spent, but realistically I’ve done far worse.

• Paid Members

Question: meat, I understand, but what's the barrier to using leather from cows that might have died from natural causes? Initial thoughts are that it'd be something to do with quality, but I don't know for certain, and I'd be interested to know what the vegan position is on that.