VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

56 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Fuck me, I always thought of vegans to be a bit dour, and this threads confirmed it.  Back to the Chippy thread for me, ta ta!

Good, fuck off.

Here is a hilarious article I just found which is particularly relevant 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/25/pie-and-mash-shop-closes-after-128-years-because-of-vegans-7978503/

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Good, fuck off.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/25/pie-and-mash-shop-closes-after-128-years-because-of-vegans-7978503/

Hysterical.  Someone’s livelihood has now gone.

Drugged up cunt.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Good, fuck off.

I think that guy's blaming the wrong people for the failure of his shop. A lot of the stuff he says in that interview just comes across as him refusing to adapt whatsoever to the new market and the changing demographic. Refusing to serve breakfast, refusing to serve anything vegetarian at all? Plenty of traditional places have realised they needed to change to attract the widest range of customers possible to keep them going. 

And blaming it on gentrification is bogus - not because gentrification is such a wonderful thing (it's a double-edged sword that can be disastrous for local communities, or great for them, depending on how it's handled), but because there are plenty of hipster places across London that sell meat. Hell, there's even a chain (of sorts) named after the damn stuff: MEATpeople, MEATliquor, etc. And if the demand for meat were truly dwindling, we wouldn't be seeing all these pulled pork or Kansas BBQ or gourmet burger joints popping up all over the place.

It is the way he ends with:

‘It’s going to be a sad day when we close. I will have a tear in my eye, there’s nothing I can do.”

But he is refusing to sell people what they want. He is literally putting himself out of business by being stubborn and blaming everyone else.

• Paid Members

Exactly. I like pie, mash and liquor, but the reality is that London is possibly the most cosmopolitan city on the planet now, with the most diverse population you can get. There are very few places that can get away with selling just one thing on their menu any more, especially traditional, unfashionable stuff; if it's not a massive draw by itself, it needs to be bolstered with other things people might want. 

• Paid Members

Most of the pie and mash shops near me (Essex) do a vegetarian pie. And the facts are if you dont offer at least a vegetarian option, your going to miss out on lots of potential business. A meat eater is not going to stop going to a restaurant or take away because they also offer vegan/vegetarian options, but a vegetarian or vegan won’t go somewhere that has no options for them.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know it's incredibly judgmental of me, but I can imagine that pie and mash shop having a sign up saying "Proudly serving non-halal meat in all our pies".  The fucking state of it.

I was going to put that in my post, but decided against it for the same reasons. Absolutely agree, though.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Most of the pie and mash shops near me (Essex) do a vegetarian pie. And the facts are if you dont offer at least a vegetarian option, your going to miss out on lots of potential business. A meat eater is not going to stop going to a restaurant or take away because they also offer vegan/vegetarian options, but a vegetarian or vegan won’t go somewhere that has no options for them.

Not only that, but one vegetarian/vegan in a group is the decision-maker. If you're going out for a meal with a group of 20, and only one of that group is vegetarian, you're still going somewhere that serves a veggie option. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I was going to put that in my post, but decided against it for the same reasons. Absolutely agree, though.

No gammon in a proper pie and mash shop.

Whilst it's main audience is of an older generation, I don't think Tommy Robinson has ever eaten in a pie and mash shop. You have to remember that most pie and mash shops were born in the East End of London, as are the people they frequent them. This is why more have opened up around Essex as the traditionals have moved out. But the East End is particularly multicultural so I don't think people are bothered by Halal. I know there are some halal ones in Forest Gate, but will keep a look out when I am next around

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My question is, why wouldn't anyone who owns such a business not want to offer a vegan/veggie option?

"Next in line please, what you having mate? Pie and mash? That's £4 please!"

"Next? Hi there, trendy vegan hipster! What you having? Our vegan pie? No problem, that's £12 please! And our specially made eco-friendly container made by a local artisan who spends his free time kicking off outside slaughterhouses is only an addition £4!"

Licence to print money, really. 

Stick a 2nd hand bicycle rack out front as well and you're sorted.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, David said:

My question is, why wouldn't anyone who owns such a business not want to offer a vegan/veggie option?

"Next in line please, what you having mate? Pie and mash? That's £4 please!"

"Next? Hi there, trendy vegan hipster! What you having? Our vegan pie? No problem, that's £12 please! And our specially made eco-friendly container made by a local artisan who spends his free time kicking off outside slaughterhouses is only an addition £4!"

Licence to print money, really. 

Stick a 2nd hand bicycle rack out front as well and you're sorted.

Puts me in mind of that scene in Only Fools & Horses, where Mike ladles out two bowls from the same pot. First goes over to Trigger: "Here ya go, Trig, beef stew - that'll be £1.20." 

Then goes over to a yuppie at the other end of the bar and says: "Here you go, sir - boeuf bourgignon, £2.50."