VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

Of course we don't have to do that. 

We don't have to wear clothes that are fashionable and produced cheaply in other parts of the world. We don't have to use mobile phones that were produced in sub-standard conditions for workers. We don't have to drive cars that pollute the environment, and so on and so forth.

But we do. Why? Because, as the dominant species on the planet it makes life easier for us and allows us to do what we do.

But there, you've just listed lots of things that people are actively campaigning against, and there is a wider, growing recognition that these are things that need to be dealt with. So I'm not sure that would be the position to take if one were to defend carnivorous diets.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, but that future you speak of may feature sports played entirely by human/machine hybrids who shoot fire out of their eyes and have knives for fingers. 

I'm not interested in the future we may see, I'm interested in the here and now, and if someone who relies on being physically fit, and who is known for their incredible fitness isn't following a vegan diet then it leads me to believe that maybe the vegan diet isn't the best option if a person wants to be fit and healthy.

If we're coming at it purely from a "it's not nice to kill animals" viewpoint then fair enough, that's someone's opinion and how they live is up to them, but from a health viewpoint I don't think a purely vegan diet is ideal. 

As with most things, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, which would consist, in this case, of a diet that isn't loaded with cheap meat that's been produced by farms who load their livestock up with all kinds of shit.

Any ideal future would see fast food and demand for cheap, rubbish meats die away, replaced by a sustainable industry that sees a focus more on quality of product.

Again, though: there's a difference between what constitutes "fit and healthy" for an elite-level athlete and for the average person. Not to mention that there are also differing standards for fitness and health between sports - what works for an MMA fighter won't necessarily work for a track athlete, a weightlifter, a bodybuilder or a javelin-thrower.

GSP's diet works for him because it gives him proteins and amino acids in large, digestible amounts, to enable him to achieve optimal fitness in a short space of time. Other people don't need to do that, and will factor in their ethical choices when making their decision as regards diet - they don't have to do what GSP does, so they can take a vegan approach, acquiring proteins and whatnot through non-meat alternatives.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’m sponsored by another company so don’t use Silverback, don’t think I’ve ever used it actually. I’m not telling anyone what to do though. Just my thoughts, reasons and projections for the future. I’m not planning to force people to go vegan.

Loads of top atheletes are Vegan.

Is that other company 100% vegan out of curiosity? I’ve read that Silverback are the only true 100% vegan tattoo ink company.

And sorry like, you are telling people they should be vegan. That’s not something you should stop doing either, it’s just about how you do it.

Glad to hear that being Vegan is benefiting your health though.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Cheers. Was looking specifically for articles rather than videos though.also, terrible name for a documentary.

It’s a proper film, only recently been taken off Netflix. Off the top of my head I don’t know any articles as in depth as that film

6 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Is that other company 100% vegan out of curiosity? I’ve read that Silverback are the only true 100% vegan tattoo ink company.

And sorry like, you are telling people they should be vegan. That’s not something you should stop doing either, it’s just about how you do it.

Nah very few tattoo inks contain any animal product. All my bottles even have the little Vegan logo. 

I think people should be vegan, but I’m not making anyone. I’m just explaining why I think people should be and hoping I strike a cord with them so they can make the choice themselves. I do totally reject the idea that anyone would continue to eat meat if they didn’t want to just to spite a pushy vegan off the Internet, because that’s a bit mad 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

But there, you've just listed lots of things that people are actively campaigning against, and there is a wider, growing recognition that these are things that need to be dealt with. So I'm not sure that would be the position to take if one were to defend carnivorous diets.

People are campaigning against those things because they are wrong and done purely for profit. Can iPhones and clothes be made elsewhere? Of course they can. 

But, having those iPhones and clothes made elsewhere isn't going to actively impact on my health and wellbeing, is it? That's why this is different. I'm not arguing that killing animals is nice, it's not. Of course it isn't.

But life isn't nice. I don't like it when I see a predator tear apart a helpless animal on National Geographic, but that's how it goes. The circle of life and all that jazz.

5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Again, though: there's a difference between what constitutes "fit and healthy" for an elite-level athlete and for the average person. Not to mention that there are also differing standards for fitness and health between sports - what works for an MMA fighter won't necessarily work for a track athlete, a weightlifter, a bodybuilder or a javelin-thrower.

GSP's diet works for him because it gives him proteins and amino acids in large, digestible amounts, to enable him to achieve optimal fitness in a short space of time. Other people don't need to do that, and will factor in their ethical choices when making their decision as regards diet - they don't have to do what GSP does, so they can take a vegan approach, acquiring proteins and whatnot through non-meat alternatives.

We don't have to do what GSP does, that's true, but as someone who tried making that switch (I bought into the whole healthy aspect of it) and who found after a year that it was actually giving me issues rather than working for me, I find that a hybrid system works best. 

High quality meats and fish, along with many of the things that I would eat in a vegetarian diet. I avoid the rubbish, such as fast food, milk chocolate, cheese and so forth.

At that point I was training a lot more, feeling healthier, looking better and had put back on the lost muscle mass. 

It's common sense really, isn't it? Put high quality products into your body. I get my meat from local producers, not supermarkets. Same with my fish, fruit and vegetables.

• Paid Members

I think people should be vegan, but I’m not making anyone. I’m just explaining why I think people should be and hoping I strike a cord with them so they can make the choice themselves. I do totally reject the idea that anyone would continue to eat meat if they didn’t want to just to spite a pushy vegan off the Internet, because that’s a bit mad 

I think it's extremely possible that you'd put someone off bothering to look into it though, or being associated with it.

My mate at work is  a vegan, and aside from having to make do with beans and potatoes when there's nothing decent in the work canteen, he eats well and has very few issues. A few people I know have tried veganism and have been unable to do it because of the health problems a vegan diet can cause, even with supplements. 

22 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Tom Brady did it and now like half the NFL followed suit.

Brady didn't go vegan, he follows a diet like I've been talking about here, consisting of a whole lot of fruit and vegetables, and some high-quality, lean meat;

Brady owes his longevity to an intense diet and workout plan, which the GOAT touts in his new book, "The TB12 Method." Vegetables make up 80% of what he and his supermodel-wife Gisele Bündchen eat, along with whole grains, nuts, and lean meats.

If the question is should people probably eat less meat, the answer is undoubtedly yes. There are benefits of meat in any diet though.

15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

No they didn't.

No they aren't.

Well half was a bit exaggeration but loads are following suit after he started doing it. I might be out of date on his current diet but I know that a heavy plant based diet was one of the things he attributed to still being top of his game at nearly 40. Then loads of other followed 

And it might have been long distance runners rather than marathon runners if there is a difference 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Loads of top atheletes are Vegan. Pete Dunne and Tyler Bates are. 

Don't forget devilishly good/handsome Trent Seven, too. Total vegan wonder boy.

How about some more recommendations, eh lads?

Whenever I forget to pack a lunch, I always head to the Vegetarian/Vegan section at my local Sainsburies on the way to work as they have some great (and cheap) ready meals. I usually opt for;

BOL Sri Lankan Sambar Veg Pot or BOL Thai Coconut Curry.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/vegan-44/bol-sri-lankan-sambar-veg-pot-345g

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/vegan-44/bol-thai-coconut-curry-345g-7832993-p-44

Fucking gorgeous these. Hot, spicy and plenty of flavour and crunch.

Red Thai Vegetable Curry & Rice

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-my-goodness!-red-thai-vegetable-curry-350g

Delicious! I love thai curries (very underrated imo) and this is no different.

Vegetable Lasagne or Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/vegan-44/sainsburys-freefrom-vegetable-lasagne-400g

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-spinach---ricotta-cannelloni--be-good-to-yourself-400g

These are cracking. Bonus as they're now even cheaper this week for some reason (£1.50 at my local!)

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I thought that had been completely debunked and there's no benefits except for people who actually have an intolerance.

Me too. I thought a lot of Gluten free people were advised to for weight management rather then health. I know someone with an actual intolerance, but know of others advised not too because of health benefits and so say they are intolerant rather then actually being so.