VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

5 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The meat industry are the ones on the extreme side, they slaughter 15 billion sentient beings a year. That is extreme. They are on the extreme level, not the people who are trying to change attitudes.

The meat industry blatantly lie to consumers. The parade cows and sheep in fields so the general public think that’s what they are eating. It isn’t, the meat and dairy industry lie to you. Here is an article which explains a bit about how free range and cage free are basically just lies

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/think-you-know-free-range-and-cage-free-chicken-think-again/

Here is a website that shows in real time how many animals are being killed. 

http://thevegancalculator.com/animal-slaughter/

It has a bunch of documentaries on the bottom, if you can watch them all you’d turn Vegan. Doubt you will though, because you want to eat meat and will happily ignore any facts to serve yourself.

Like I've mentioned I actually don't eat meat either, I just don't agree with PETA forcing people to stop eating meat. It's all about making an individual choice to stop. I'm very well aware of the points you've brought forward too,  I don't need a lecture which is the point I'm trying to get across with PETA. I know how horrendous animals are treated, I watched a documentary years ago and was repulsed by it so I've made a personal choice to stop eating meat. 

As I also have said I genuinely really do care about animals welfare but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about drawing attention to their plight. If they were raised humanely yet still culled they'd still be an argument but you have to factor in basic food chain dynamics. A lot of animals etc wouldn't actually be bred because and it's a very harsh comment to make there'd be no real use for them. So I see both sides of the argument. If someone wants to make a personal choice to eat meat that's entirely up to them. I can't dictate or force them to stop. You can educate to put across the abhorrent way animals are treated and what they have to go through but how many would care?. Really it's an incredibly moral and ethically debate which is very multifaceted because however much you educate some people won't care or they will but not to such a degree that they'll stop or push for animals to be treated better. 

So it's best to educate where & when you can but if you go the wrong way about it it comes across as wrongly and defeats the object entirely. Posting links to animals being slaughtered for example. I mean, majority of the worlds population have pets and love animals so not many are going to sit and watch it are they?. It's again the point I'm making it's not making a points, it's pushing it in your face to the nth degree. I have absolutely no inclination at all of watching any animal suffer, because it's beyond sickening and incredibly saddening, heartbreaking. Plus your preaching to the choir here, I'm a vegetarian, I don't even eat meat. 

But shocking people into vegetarianism and veganism isn't the way to go. I'm actually on your side in this debate, but, I'm not going to demand people to stop eating meat because you can't go around dictating people's personal decisions that way. That's wrong too and it's guilt shaming people to stop eating meat which isn't right morally either. Plus there's some who are contrarian will do the opposite anyway. This is a never ending debate but I've learned staying true to your own beliefs makes things easier because not everyone is going to share the same ideology. Strong arming people into your way of thinking won't work, it'll most likely just wind people up and have the complete opposite effect. Plus you'll also wind yourself up as people which intentionally bait you and its a never ending cycle. I should have been clearer on my points regarding PETA but I just don't agree with the way they go about things majority of the time. The shock & awe type approach and misrespenting the truth shouldn't be on their agenda to begin with. They should be the voice of reason and uphold the moral & ethical code but they go the wrong way about things in most cases especially their ad campaigns which are often offensive & cause controversy. 

33 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Much like 50% of the NFL, he was not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler_and_vegetarianism

As previously mentioned, Im in Amsterdam so trying to debate me right now is not fair, but there is something to it... Anyway the point was that it doesn’t automatically make you a good person. It is just one topic, not the ultimate test of a persons over all convictions

There are probably better sources than Wikipedia, but it’s been thrown in my face a couple times by carnists. At some point it is widely acknowledged he was.

Also, the notion of “shocking people isn’t the way to go” has the massive plot hole of it being a very shocking industry. I find it impossible to comprehend that anyone would not be shocked by the absolute facts of how meat ends up on your plate.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

3 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Imagine having such a fragile grasp on your masculinity and humanity that you identify yourself as a 'carnivore'. I've seen it bounded around by those who take great offence to vegans/vegetarians and it always makes me chuckle.

I started using "Carnibore" to describe such people.

And let's be honest.  David is right, most people don't give a fuck about how the animal lived and died.  The only time it's an issue for some people is when the meat is halal, then suddenly they've become animal welfare advocates.

• Paid Members

Not taking a side either way as to avoid being dragged into the debate, but what's the deal with trying to make Vegan food look or taste like "regular" food?

What's the appeal to having meat-free food look like fish and chips or burgers? Is it to try and convince people to turn vegan by being as close to the real thing as possible, or is it just a fun gimmick?

2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Not taking a side either way as to avoid being dragged into the debate, but what's the deal with trying to make Vegan food look or taste like "regular" food?

What's the appeal to having meat-free food look like fish and chips or burgers? Is it to try and convince people to turn vegan by being as close to the real thing as possible, or is it just a fun gimmick?

Because for the majority, becoming vegan isn't about taste, but ethics.  Anecdotal of course, but I know plenty of people who miss the taste of a bacon sarnie or a steak, but they wouldn't have one because of their ethical outlook.  By having a taste similar that is meat free, you are appealing to a big market.  And that's ultimately why we have meat free meat or fishless fingers, economics.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Because for the majority, becoming vegan isn't about taste, but ethics.  Anecdotal of course, but I know plenty of people who miss the taste of a bacon sarnie or a steak, but they wouldn't have one because of their ethical outlook.  By having a taste similar that is meat free, you are appealing to a big market.  And that's ultimately why we have meat free meat or fishless fingers, economics.

As infamous vegetarian @Chris B once said in one of his stand-up comedy sets: 

"When asked 'Would you eat lab-grown, cruelty-free meat?', I just have this to say:

YES! FUCKING YES! We don't hate the taste of meat, we love it! It's just that our moral superiority tastes better."

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

What is quarn mince actually made from? Or if it is made from quarn, what is quarn?

According to the adverts from back in the day, it's a specially-farmed kind of mushroom. Technically mycoprotein.

Bit of blunt truth with no fannying around..

I eat meat because it tastes fucking good.

I know the process and seen how animals get slaughtered.

We stand on top of the food chain and see that animals are for our food, entertainment and tools.

I do believe that they should live and be treated in good condition (i'm not a complete barbarian 😄).

Should have stopped at tastes good, because it all went downhill from there...

Found  guy on Instagram who is a butcher/farmer. He works on one of these “ethical” farms where all the animals have nice lives. He is a fucking psychopath and mentally tortures his animals for no reason.

Edited by UK Kat Von D