Top Wrestling Twitter

Devon Malcolm

Bit of a storm going on at Broken Ring Wrestling (why the fuck would you pick that name?) at the moment, if anyone fancies a bit of entertainment. A double whammy of the promoter making cancer/abuse "jokes", and also asking female talent for their phone number "to confirm a booking" and continuing to pester them after they said no. Been going on for most of the afternoon, it seems, so there's plenty to catch up with if you feel so inclined.

@ring_ broken

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

2 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Bit of a storm going on at Broken Ring Wrestling (why the fuck would you pick that name?) at the moment, if anyone fancies a bit of entertainment. A double whammy of the promoter making cancer/abuse "jokes", and also asking female talent for their phone number "to confirm a booking" and continuing to pester them after they said no. Been going on for most of the afternoon, it seems, so there's plenty to catch up with if you feel so inclined.

@ring_ broken

A classic example of making a bad situation even worse by the Broken Ring promoter.

Yeah that's not the promoter but somebody sticking up for him [who has also posted a link on his Twitter feed saying Jayde is toxic etc].

Promoter made such a mess of the whole thing all the wrestlers pulled out of the show and the venue received numerous calls saying they should cancel their booking with him. 

EDIT: Aint the world a wonderful place?

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

I followed it on Twitter for a while this afternoon.

He kept stressing that he needed all of his “employees” phone numbers for emergencies, but she said she has always dealt with other promoters via Messenger or Email.

Surely a phone number “in case of emergency” concerning wrestling would be a next of kin (in case of injury for example) wouldn’t it?

The only thing I can think of where the promoter would need to contact a wrestler due to an emergency would be a cancellation. So if the person involved would prefer to use Messenger or Email, that’s their call.

Edited by dopper

15 minutes ago, Seratonin said:

I don't get why asking for someones number if you're paying them for turning up for your shows is a crime.

It's not.

Continuing to do so following their justifiable refusal on the other hand, whilst not a crime perhaps, is weird and unsettling behaviour, which is rightfully being called out.

8 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

@ring_ broken

Saturday is suppose to be there only second show they done and all the money was suppose to go to a school that supports children with autism

• Paid Members

I don't think the guy was that much in the wrong originally. I've never been a self-employed woman so I'm not going to judge her but not giving your contact number to people who will need to contact you if the show is cancelled, if you're late, etc, etc does not seem great business. I'll get Facebook messages even while driving is crazy talk.

His responses show him to be an absolute fucking dickhead and make the original messages a thousand times more seedy than if he'd just come out and explained.

I don't think it's that unreasonable, considering you can use Messenger to make calls. I currently work in non-wrestling events and I use messenger for everything instead of giving my number out. It allows me to screen messages/calls and keep a better separation between my work & my home life. Plus my house doesn't get mobile signal but I have WiFi, so it's generally more reliable for contact with me.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Seratonin said:

I don't get why asking for someones number if you're paying them for turning up for your shows is a crime.

shocked blunt talk GIF

I've used every method of communicating with clients and in-house employees with the grand exception of using a phone. Refusing to give someone your private number, especially when there are numerous other options available, is totally understandable.

The promoter is a dick for constantly being at her about it, and he then made it worse by replying to every single comment with a shitty aside and the venue phone number (oh the irony).

Also, lets factor into the situation the one general counter-point people have; "Oh well my employer has my phone number!". Well that's fine and dandy, but you don't have to. There is no law that states an employer must or can have an employees phone number with (or without) their permission.

And I'm very sure that the promoter of *checks notes* Broken Ring Wrestling has an industry standard security system in place to keep those phone numbers safe, and is not just pasting them into a notepad document.

yeah, his replies to both the talent, and the people tweeting about it do him no favours what so ever, and he's obviously a bit of a dick but the original complaint has been blown out of all proportion - he wanted a phone number for someone he is paying to work for him... that's not unreasonable.

and for talent to pull out, out of 'solidarity' is flipping ridiculous. virtue signalling much.

they're making him look as if he was a sex pest that was gonna send nudes or something - there is no evidence thats the case, although the way he's asked for her number, and the replies since show, quite clearly, that something is very wrong with this person.

9 hours ago, thescottishchamp87 said:

Saturday is suppose to be there only second show they done and all the money was suppose to go to a school that supports children with autism

Oh shit, that's a real shame then if true.
Promoter really should have tried to quell whatever heat there may have been for the sake of the school if nothing else.
Any indication the promoter is autistic? I'm not saying that to be mean or funny [I'm on the spectrum myself] - rather that, if he is, it may explain why the initial interactions with talent were clunky and he couldn't see what the problem was repeatedly asking for a number or why they refused.to do so.