Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If you don't watch it then I'll only launch into a bullying campaign to make you watch it like I did with @Chest Rockwell

There ain't a massive amount on tomorrow aside from Back to the Future Part II and The Expendables. The Enemy Below and The Great Outdoors but I haven't seen either of those.

Also on is WΔZ but it's one of the worst films ever made.

• Paid Members

Not been much on this week but there are a few on tomorrow worth seeing.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Another Earth (2011) (Sony Movies, 16:55) - An odd time of day to put this sci-fi romantic drama on but if you fancy a slower and more thoughtful slice of science fiction, you should like this. Brit Marling is awesome.

28 Days Later (2003) (Horror Channel, 21:00) - I still think the sequel's better and that this falls apart in its final third but it's still one of the few good zombie films made since everyone started going mad over them again. The clear highlight is AM180 by Grandaddy though.

Mechanic: Resurrection (2016) (Film4, 21:00) - A considerable improvement over the original and featuring a couple of the best stunts and scenes in any Jason Statham film, this is way more enjoyable than it would have been if it wasn't for Statham elevating it. Also, Jessica Alba in a bikini.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (2012) (Sony Movies, 23:05) - A major return to form for Mel Gibson, dipping into a familiar bag of tricks in a fine action-thriller with more than a dash of comedy.

Sinister (2012) (Film4, 01:15) - While everybody wanked themselves silly over the mediocre jump scare nonsense in The Conjuring films, Scott Derrickson knocked out this atmospheric and chilling little horror film which Ethan Hawke does great things with in the lead. One of the most surprisingly excellent horror films of the decade.

22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (2012) (Sony Movies, 23:05) - A major return to form for Mel Gibson, dipping into a familiar bag of tricks in a fine action-thriller with more than a dash of comedy.

That's a great little action film that. It's like an unofficial sequel to Payback.

• Paid Members

Can we be mindful of spoilers where there's twists or surprises?

For those of us that are using this thread to find films we've not seen before, it takes the edge off when someone points out that they were on Earth all along.

• Paid Members

SATURDAY:-

Carry On Camping (1969) (ITV3, 15:05) - The one with the combination of the greatest sight and verbal gags of all time. You know the one.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Where Eagles Dare (1969) (ITV4, 17:55) - The greatest war action film of all time? Probably. Endlessly rewatchable with Richard Burton making a surprisingly excellent action lead as he, Mary Ure and Clint Eastwood wipe out half the Nazis on the planet by themselves. Absolutely brilliant.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) (Film4, 21:00) - Considering how crap the first one was and how boring the last two were, I've really no idea how they managed to make this such a totally enjoyable action banger. But it is, extremely surprisingly so.

The Transporter (2002) (Film4, 23:45) - I actually slightly prefer the sequel but this is clearly the kind of film that will put hairs on your chest, even during its amazingly homoerotic oil scene.

The Skin I Live In (2011) (BBC2, 00:10) - Flawed yet enjoyable psychological thriller from Pedro Almodovar that has some questionable takes on gender but is never boring. Elena Anaya tho.

• Paid Members

Some great stuff on tomorrow.

* Carrington VC (1954) (Talking Pictures TV, 17:10) - Another of Talking Pictures' impressive rediscoveries, this is an outstanding military courtroom drama with a jot of wry humour and a great performance from David Niven. Hugely recommended.

The Lego Movie (2014) (ITV2, 18:00) - The first film I ever took my daughter to see at the cinema and we've rarely seen better since. "Be ye disabling of yond shield!"

Back to the Future Part II (1989) (E4, 18:50) - The dark one of the trilogy - and the best? I've never been able to choose between this and the original but I think it does fascinating things with the concept, more so than the other two parts. Easily one of the greatest sequels of all time.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Con Air (1997) (Sony Movies, 21:00) - Obviously one of the greatest action films ever made with an irresistible cast and loads of great humour. But it's also playfully bizarre at times and basically I don't talk to people who don't like it.

Wolf Creek 2 (2013) (Horror Channel, 22:45) - I wasn't a fan of the original at all, which plodded to a final third where there was a lot of violence and that's it. No such problem here. It starts fast and for the most part it's more like an action adventure than a horror film. A huge improvement over the original.

Source Code (2011) (ITV4, 23:10) - Duncan Jones' best film by quite some distance but, when you think about it, not that difficult! Enjoyable timeloop stuff, he should stick to making more films like this.

No (2012) (Film4, 01:30) - Pablo Larrain is a great Chilean filmmaker who has taught me so much about his country's history in all the excellent films he's made so far. This one, about the creation of a TV campaign against General Pinochet, is one of the finest political dramas of recent years.

Archived