Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

TUESDAY:-

* In a Lonely Place (1950) (Film4, 11:00) - Impressively depressing noir featuring arguably the finest performance of Humphrey Bogart's career. The ending is a real gem.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - They Live (1988) (Horror Channel, 22:45) - John Carpenter's splendid horror satire is best known round here for Rowdy Roddy Piper in the lead. But he's genuinely good in the lead and this is one of Carpenter's more underrated films.

* Passenger 57 (1992) (ITV4, 23:00) - The 90s were so chock full of great action films that it just goes to show how great they were that Passenger 57 isn't regarded more highly. But it is a great laugh.

* Fury (2014) (5Spike, 23:00) - David Ayer does occasionally crap out a decent film even though he's generally awful. Fury's plot and dialogue are still a total mess but the battle scenes look brilliant. Ayer can direct some good action stuff - he should stick to that, the idiot.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

WEDNESDAY:-

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Kelly's Heroes (1970) (TCM, 10:35) - Worth staying off work for. Joyous wartime heist comedy with a brilliant cast that look as though they're having the time of their lives. Utterly fabulous entertainment.

* Snake Eyes (1998) (21:00, 5Spike) - Not one of Brian De Palma's best but only because his standard is so high. Even so, a wildly entertainining mystery with the usual De Palma visual trickery and a near-top tier Nicolas Cage performance.

* Deja Vu (2006) (Syfy, 21:00) - Now that we've all established that Tony Scott was better than Ridley Scott, we can start seeing films like Deja Vu for the high quality entertainment that they were. Lengthy but never outstays its welcome. I still miss Tony.

* Hot Fuzz (2007) (ITV2, 21:00) - Just checking you have the weekly ITV2 Hot Fuzz airing in your schedule.

* Pale Rider (1985) (TCM, 23:10) - Both of the best films on tomorrow are Clint Eastwood films. One of the finest movies of his career, makes a great companion piece to the masterpiece High Plains Drifter. One of the few truly great modern westerns.

* Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) (Film4, 23:35) - It's not QUITE true to say the Resident Evil series is complete turd aside from the first one. Because the always reliable Russell Mulcahy took over the franchise for this one and produced the actual best film of the series - a fine Mad Max knock-off with a couple of brilliant action set pieces.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

* Pale Rider (1985) (TCM, 23:10) - Both of the best films on tomorrow are Clint Eastwood films. One of the finest movies of his career, makes a great companion piece to the masterpiece High Plains Drifter. One of the few truly great modern westerns.

Always think of Jon Snow and Krishnan Guru-Murthy when this gets mentioned.  But yeah, ace film.

• Paid Members

Mostly westerns tomorrow!

* Bend of the River (1952) (ITV4, 14:20) - One of Anthony Mann and James Stewart's numerous collaborations and probably my favourite. A gritty western adventure with a splendid ending and a fine Rock Hudson support performance.

* Hang 'em High (1968) (5Spike, 21:00) - Probably a minor Clint Eastwood western in the grand scheme of things but also a good one. A bit too interested in the law for my liking but there's still plenty there.

* Tombstone (1993) (Movies4Men, 21:00) - An all-star cast for this fantastic and enjoyable western, full of witty one-liners and great shootouts, just a total blast from start to finish.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - The Swimmer (1968) (Talking Pictures TV, 22:10) - One of the most unique studio films of the 60s, a satirical drama with Burt Lancaster swimming home via all the swimming pools in his neighbourhood. Possibly his finest ever performance, and a powerful and great film.

* True Grit (2010) (Film4, 23:15) - The Coens' remake just about improves on the terrific original but not by trying to differentiate itself too much. Jeff Bridges is absolutely perfect as Rooster Cogburn and Hailee Steinfeld only equalled her brilliant breakthrough performance relatively recently in the superb The Edge of Seventeen.

* Piranha (2010) (ITV2, 00:25) - Tasteless, gory and completely moronic remake of Joe Dante's fun original - and this one is almost as fun as well. Self consciously idiotic but not to the point of nausea.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that Robocop was on ITV4 the other night. It had been cut down from 102 minutes to just over an hour. That was including ad breaks too so probably more like 50 minutes. Half the movie cut out! I thought it could have been to make it a bit more daytime TV-friendly but it was being shown at 10pm and still kept in the guy melting from toxic waste bit.

58 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I saw that Robocop was on ITV4 the other night. It had been cut down from 102 minutes to just over an hour. That was including ad breaks too so probably more like 50 minutes. Half the movie cut out! I thought it could have been to make it a bit more daytime TV-friendly but it was being shown at 10pm and still kept in the guy melting from toxic waste bit.

ITV cut their films into two parts in order to have a 5 minute Showbiz gossip segment wedged in. What you’ll have got will have been the second part. When recording you e got to set it to record both separate parts

Orange got their just as I did 

Archived