Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Source Code (2011) (ITV4, 23:10) - Duncan Jones' best film by quite some distance but, when you think about it, not that difficult! Enjoyable timeloop stuff, he should stick to making more films like this.

One of the first dates I took my partner on was just your traditional cinema+beers afterwards. This was the first film we had ever seen together, let alone first at the cinema.

Anyway, we both thought it was dog shit and spent a majority of the evening taking it apart.  Love blossomed. Cheers Duncan.

• Paid Members

Lego Movie is up there with my all-time faves I think. It's absolutely brilliant in terms of how it caters to all ages, yet remains extremely funny and has a nice story to it. And that's without even mentioning physically putting the animations together in the Lego style - absolutely unreal. Lego Batman is boss as well - Will Arnett is a don. 

3 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Lego Movie is up there with my all-time faves I think. It's absolutely brilliant in terms of how it caters to all ages, yet remains extremely funny and has a nice story to it. And that's without even mentioning physically putting the animations together in the Lego style - absolutely unreal. Lego Batman is boss as well - Will Arnett is a don. 

It's just relentlessly entertaining, funny and positive. I always get dust in my eye when Emmet finally faces off with Lord Business. And Abraham Lincoln and his rocket chair absolutely slays me.

• Paid Members

MONDAY:-

* The Sixth Sense (1999) (Sony Movies, 21:00) - Like all Shyamalan films, too reliant on its twist and as everyone knows the one in this by now, it doesn't have massive rewatch value. However, it's still creepily built and features probably Bruce Willis' best performance.

The Evil Dead (1981) (Horror Channel, 00:40) - Still seems odd to see this on the telly so much considering it was banned for so long when I was younger. Its sequel is an improvement but this is a savage and imaginative horror blast that still seems refreshing.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) (Film4, 01:20) - A superb psychological drama from Sean Durkin, who is probably better known for Southcliffe over here. One of the most interesting and reflective films about cults I've seen, with Elizabeth Olsen deservedly acclaimed in the lead.

The Hitch-Hiker (1953) (Talking Pictures TV, 01:30) - Not just a fine crime thriller but also notable for being directed by Ida Lupino, also a great actress, making it one of the very few films directed by a woman during the classic noir era.

Phantasm (1979) (Horror Channel, 02:20) - Still one of the most refreshing horror films you are likely to see, brimming with invention and a chilling atmosphere, and featuring a now legendary display from Angus Scrimm as the Tall Man.

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) (Film4, 01:20) - A superb psychological drama from Sean Durkin, who is probably better known for Southcliffe over here. One of the most interesting and reflective films about cults I've seen, with Elizabeth Olsen deservedly acclaimed in the lead.

You badgered me for about a year to watch this.  It is brilliant.  As you said at the time, imagine if John Hawkes chose his projects more carefully.

• Paid Members

Ha, I knew I annoyed someone round here to watch it!

Actually, Hawkes has chosen some really interesting stuff the last couple of years or so. He did a couple of cracking little thrillers called Too Late and Small Town Crime, and he was the best thing in Everest. Hugely underused in Three Billboards as well. Great actor.

• Paid Members

WEDNESDAY:-

The Body Snatcher (1945) (Movies4Men, 07:45) - Probably most notable for its Bela Lugosi / Boris Karloff pairing, this is a splendid old horror flick with lashings of quality humour too. From Robert Wise, one of the most under-appreciated and multi-talented directors of all time.

Gideon of Scotland Yard (1958) (Film4, 16:30) - Bizarrely, John Ford nipped over to England in the late 50s to direct this enjoyably fast-paced and English-as-hell crime drama, led by a superb Jack Hawkins performance. Maybe he just needed a break from John Wayne for a bit.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - 2 Fast 2 Furious (ITV2, 21:00) - "EJECTO SEATO, CUZ!"

Hard Rain (1997) (SyFy, 23:10) - The second best movie ever made featuring someone using a jetski down some corridors - after Deep Rising, of course. Great fun, shame Christian Slater didn't make more of his action film talents.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2009) (Horror Channel, 02:45) - The 'hot girl gets with ugly dude' stuff is really shit and unnecessary, but otherwise this is an enjoyable horror-comedy that probably should have resulted in a franchise of some sort.

The Fugitive and Source Code are also on again. So is Silver Linings Playbook but it's crap.

• Paid Members

Some really good stuff on tomorrow.

The Locket (1946) (Movies4Men, 07:25) - Movies4Men have also become great at dusting off some largely unseen classics and The Locket is definitely one of them. A truly outstanding psychological drama about kleptomania, it's everything Marnie should have been.

Damn the Defiant! (1962) (Film4, 11:00) - Before he became best known for directing three of the best Bond films, Lewis Gilbert was already an acclaimed director and Damn the Defiant! may be his best non-Bond film. Think of Mutiny on the Bounty except this time the captain's the good guy and his first officer a complete cunt.

The Searchers (1956) (TCM, 15:55) - The Searchers may regularly top polls regarding the best westerns or even films outright ever made but it's not even my favourite John Ford or John Wayne film. Even so, it's still an uncommonly powerful and brilliantly written film with Wayne somewhere near his very best.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - All the President's Men (1976) (TCM, 18:15) - The greatest film about journalism ever made and how to create the most tense of thrillers without it really even being a thriller at all. I must have watched this a dozen times and I like it a bit more every time. I cannot speak highly enough of it.

Enough Said (2013) (Film4, 19:10) - Although a hugely sad watch because it was James Gandolfini's penultimate film, a film he never saw released, it's also tempered by the fact that Gandolfini blows away so many misconceptions about his acting with one of his greatest ever performances - in a romantic comedy-drama. And a lovely one at that, with him creating a wonderful partnership with Julia-Louis Dreyfus.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009) (Film4, 01:20) - Bizarre comedy crime-drama that for some reason takes almost the same name as Abel Ferrara's (crap) 1990s film despite not being a remake or sequel of any kind. It has some thematic similarities but this is also far more interesting and enjoyable with Nicolas Cage in a rare decent film from the last decade or so.

The Transporter and Enemy of the State are also on again.

Archived