Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm just being reactionary. Ignore me. Just a brain fart.

It really wasn't about Drive specifically. I too think it's not perfect, just really good. Which was essentially what you were saying. I was just taking it literally when I should have thought about subtext.

I am shame faced and apologies. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valhalla Rising is really good.  It's like A Field In England but not really shit.  Sexy Mads apparently took the role because he thought it would be an easy gig due to the lack of dialogue.  He was wrong, like people who think A Field In England is any good.

• Paid Members

SUNDAY:-

* Guadalcanal Diary (1943) (Film4, 11:00) - Enjoyable WW2 propaganda piece, featuring Lloyd Bridges in one of his many forgotten early dramatic performances, and a fine dramatic actor he was too.

* Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1988) (ITV4, 11:05) - I'm part of the resistance that believes the sequel is better but if you don't like the original then you're obvious some kind of wrong 'un.

* Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) (BBC2, 18:00) - They will probably cut a lot of stuff when they finally find the Holy Grail but don't let that put you off. Sean Connery breathes more life into what was already a great film.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - M*A*S*H (1970) (True Entertainment, 21:00) - Robert Altman's brilliant anti-war film tended to get forgotten once the hit TV series spin-off came out. But this is one of the most subversive and funny films of its decade. The American football game is hilarious especially.

* Cat's Eye (1985) (Horror Channel, 22:45) - A fine horror anthology where all three stories are worth seeing. The Ledge is easily the stand-out though and will probably make you petrified of pigeons.

* Payroll (1961) (Talking Pictures TV, 02:00) - Another British crime obscurity brought back to life by Talking Pictures TV, this superb heist film is surprisingly vicious for its time and features a superlative third act twist. Great cast, too.

Ghostbusters 2, Paddington, Rambo: First Blood Part 2 and Ride Along 2 are all on again as well. Also on is The Dam Busters, which I haven't seen yet.

• Paid Members

There isn't much worth commenting on tomorrow except Stargate, which is on 5* at half 7. Always worth a watch. Captain Ron is also on at about the same time if you require an alternative Kurt Russell fix.

Yeah, The Cold Light of Day was shown but the planner it had X-Men listed, no idea what happened but it had me very confused for the first 10 minutes - I thought I’d discovered an alternative opening to X-Men 

• Paid Members

TUESDAY:-

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Back to the Future (1985) (E4, 20:00) - I mean, y'know. It's Back to the Future.

* Predator (1987) (Film4, 21:00) - See description for Back to the Future.

* Taxi Driver (1976) (Sony Movies, 22:55) - You know what? I'm not really a massive Scorsese fan. And I don't think Taxi Driver is all that either. But it's still pretty good, mostly for the performances, I just can't put my finger on why this doesn't do all that much for me. The same feeling I have with many of Scorsese's films.

* Predator 2 (1990) (Film4, 23:10) - A splendid sequel that goes a bit too long, maybe, but really scores with its relocation to an urban setting and a really good cast as well.

* Timecop (1994) (Five, 00:15) - Contrary to popular belief, it's NOT Van Damme's best film (Hard Target) but it's obviously still an outstanding action film with Ron Silver excelling as ever.

* The East (2013) (Film4, 01:20) - From the same people behind Netflix series The OA and the superb sci-fi drama Another Earth, this is a fine thriller about a former Fed who infiltrates a group of anarchists. Top class work from the always excellent Brit Marling with Astro Hollywood's ex Ellen Page also putting in a good shift.

Shaun of the Dead and The Spy Who Loved Me are on again as well.

Predator 2 is, in my humble opinion, just as good as the original.   It has an absolute ton of memorable set pieces, loads of classic dialogue "You can' see the eye o' the demon, till 'im comes calling'" and Gary Busey at his best.  If the new film is anywhere as good as this, I'll be a happy man.

• Paid Members

I've actually never seen Predator 2, and really, that's not on. 

Devon, I feel the same about Taxi Driver. I just didn't find it an enjoyable film to watch. I watched it once, when I was probably around my late teens, maybe 16/17. I always say that I should go back and watch it, to see if I still feel the same years later. I've never been able to bring myself to go through with it as I keep remembering that even though I feel I'm "supposed" to like this film, I just didn't. 

I'm glad to have watched it, De Niro is undoubtedly very good in it, but chances are I'm unlikely to ever go back and watch Taxi Driver again.

I'm the same with Taxi Driver and Raging Bull to be honest. Both are excellently made, brilliantly acted and have good stories but I just can't root for or relate to either protagonist. I mean, you're not meant to and if you do you probably need help. Both films leave me cold and whilst I'm happy to have seen both and would recommend them I'm never in a rush to rewatch them. 

Archived