Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm going to keep making film threads until y'all stop using megathreads.

I did this a couple of times before and then got bored after a couple of weeks but @Bellenda Carlisle made me bring it back so blame him.

The best films on free TV tomorrow except for this post where I'm also talking about today's:-

SUNDAY

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) (ITV2 - 16:45) - Wrong 'uns will have you believe this is the worst of the original three because of the Ewoks, but that's why they're wrong 'uns.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (BBC2 - 18:10) - Quite simply one of the greatest movies ever made and one of the few movies I can quote every line from. Why haven't you seen this?

The Day After Tomorrow (2004) (E4 - 18:35) - I'm not really a big fan of disaster movies but I do like Roland Emmerich for the most part and he makes this quite a lot of fun, even though it's still not really a very good film.

MONDAY

Groundhog Day (1993) (Dave - 16:00) - Dave shows movies now? OK. One of the finest films of Bill Murray's career, constantly funny every time you watch it, and even pulls off the trick of making Andie MacDowell bearable.

* Ghostbusters 2 (1989) (Sony Movies - 16:30) - I'm sure there's someone round here who thinks this is better than the original which I'm not going to go into right now. It's still a very funny sequel though that is still under-appreciated by most.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Romancing the Stone (1984) (Film4 - 16:55) - Because of the time it's on, they'll probably cut out the scene where Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner get high and the bloke getting his arm bitten off, but it's still one of the best action adventures of all time and NOT the Indiana Jones rip-off it's stupidly accused of being.

The Guns of Navarone (1961) (Movies4Men - 17:50) - "It was The Guns of Navaroney!" Splendid old wartime actioner, perfect teatime entertainment that nobody on here will watch because it's more than 30 years old.

Black Hawk Down (2001) (Movies4Men - 21:00) - One of Ridley Scott's rare good modern films, an enjoyable war action film once you get past the abysmal first half an hour so. Once the shooting starts, it's really good.

Starry Eyes (2014) (Horror Channel - 22:55) - Overshadowed in 2014 by the likes of The Babadook, It Follows and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, in most years Starry Eyes would be the best horror film of the year. This is one of those great horrors with an unheralded cast and director, a fascinating premise and a twist ending that actually works. It's very, very good.

Under Siege (1992) (5* - 23:05) - Almost Steven Seagal's best film (that's Out for Justice) but still one of those action thrillers you have to watch every time it's on. Also - Erika Elaniak's norks.

Also on is Howl's Moving Castle, which I haven't seen yet, but as it's Ghibli then it's probably great.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Also on is Howl's Moving Castle, which I haven't seen yet, but as it's Ghibli then it's probably great.

It's excellent.  Film 4 are in the middle of a whole season of Ghibli in case you missed it.  They even put Laputa on which is one of my favourites.

• Paid Members

TUESDAY:-

Spellbound (1945) (Talking Pictures TV, 12:35) - Not one of Hitchcock's outright classics but it also has a surreal edge to it that he wouldn't explore in greater detail until Vertigo. Incredible dream sequence and an overall really good film though.

2 Guns (2013) (Film4, 21:00) - Seems to have been passed over by everyone in the short time since its release but I reckon this is easily one of the best buddy cop films of recent years. Includes a mighty turn as head villain by the great Bill Paxton.

Night of the Demon (1957) (Talking Pictures TV, 21:00) - It wasn't just Hammer making horror films in the Britain in the 50s to 70s. The great Jacques Tourneur hopped over here for this unnerving horror tale which was probably a great influence on Hammer.

Train to Busan (2016) (Film4, 23:10) - I grew tired of zombie films a bunch of years ago but this one has an energy and dark sense of humour to it that got it on my side, as well as unusual setting and a couple of amazing chase sequences. The best zombie film for absolutely years. The animated prequel, Seoul Station, is on Film4 on Wednesday night.

Crank (2006) (ITV4, 23:45) - If you don't like the Crank films then you're probably a Tory. But definitely a nonce.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Big Trouble in Little China (1986) (Horror Channel, 00:25) - One of the few films ever to successfully meld together action, horror and comedy, it's also an affectionate tribute to Hong Kong martial arts films and one of the very best of John Carpenter's career. Kurt Russell's John Wayne impression kills too.

The Devil Rides Out (1967) (Horror Channel, 02:25) - Fine folk horror with Christopher Lee as a millionaire occultist chasing after Charles Grey and his band of devil worshippers. Great fun if you can ignore Grey's awful performance.

• Paid Members

Good one on The Devil Rides Out. Have got it in the Hammer Horror box set, strongly recommended. A nice change to see Lee as the hero, especially as he's got that reserved, aristocratic British bad-ass aura (despite being called Duc de Richelieu). Talking of which, the Duc de Richelieu series of pulp novels are worth a read.

• Paid Members

The Crank films are loads of fun, couldn't tell you which of the two I prefer. Ridiculous films but so damn entertaining.

Might have to get the kids into Romancing The Stone this afternoon. I don't recall watching the Indiana Jones movies until I was an adult, so I've never thought of it as a ripoff as this movie and Jewel of the Nile were favourites in our household as kids.

• Paid Members

I've seen Romancing the Stone dozens of times, it's always great. I love Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner, I wish they'd done even more films together.

The Crank films are definitely top tier Statham. His conversion rate has always been really good though. He's a national treasure.

Talking Pictures has some really interesting films on.  I saw an early  Dennis Quaid film called Breaking Away that was excellent.

• Paid Members

Yes, I watched that a few months ago, it's excellent.

It's a great little channel, they show a lot of really good stuff, some of which hasn't seen TV screens for decades. Some genuine obscurities that they had to source from the BFI. 

• Paid Members

Crank was one of the, say, ten movies I walked out of the cinema feeling privileged to have seen it on the big screen. Everything about that movie works and Neveldine/Taylor have built up an infinite amount of goodwill with me off the back of it. 

Nic Cage was first choice for Chelios according to the dvd commentary and the directors special of Crank High Voltage on How Did This Get Made. I'm a Cage fan, but I can't picture anyone other than wee Jay as Chevy. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Crank was one of the, say, ten movies I walked out of the cinema feeling privileged to have seen it on the big screen. Everything about that movie works and Neveldine/Taylor have built up an infinite amount of goodwill with me off the back of it. 

Nic Cage was first choice for Chelios according to the dvd commentary and the directors special of Crank High Voltage on How Did This Get Made. I'm a Cage fan, but I can't picture anyone other than wee Jay as Chevy. 

You can see why they would want Cage for it but I think it's more of a physical role than a 'going mental' role. He can do the physical stuff, as he showed in Con Air, but they definitely made the right choice.

I'm sure you do anyway but it's worth following Talking Pictures on Twitter, they always say a little about the films they have on.  Sometimes the actors join in and shed a little light, really cool for film bores like me.

Archived