Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd say it's as valid as anything!

SATURDAY:-

Oblivion (2013) (Channel 4, 20:00) - Rather unfairly crapped on at the time of its release, Oblivion is a thoughtful sci-fi adventure with a few really good action scenes and a superb performance from Andrea Riseborough. Tom is Tom as always. Brilliant M83 soundtrack too.

Tremors (1989) (ITV, 21:00) - One of the greatest monster movies of all time, both a great pastiche of 1950s sci-fi B-pictures and a really funny modern horror comedy in its own right. There are two more, repeat, two more motherhumpers.

Red (2010) (Film4, 21:00) - I liked both Red films a fair bit more than I expected. You obviously can't go wrong with the cast and I'd say it perhaps should have been better considering the talent on offer. But it's a still brisk and enjoyable actioner with John Malkovich as a paranoid bomb expert working especially well.

True Romance (1993) (Dave, 21:40) - Not my favourite Tony Scott film as it's basically just a Quentin Tarantino film in all but name (even though I like Tarantino for the most part) but still a witty and bruising thriller with Christian Slater at the top of his game.

Demons (1985) (Horror Channel, 22:55) - Fuck knows what version they will show, there are about a thousand cuts of this out there. Whichever one it is, this is still Italian horror at its finest and most lunatic. Makes absolutely no sense at times, but that's Italian horror for you.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Runaway Train (1985) (Movies4Men, 00:50) - A Cannon film written by Akira Kurosawa and directed by (then) Russian arthouse director Andrei Konchalovsky. No idea how that happened but let's be thankful that it did. A pulsating and brilliantly acted thriller that even Eric Roberts is really good in. Stunning ending, too.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Runaway Train (1985) (Movies4Men, 00:50) - A Cannon film written by Akira Kurosawa and directed by (then) Russian arthouse director Andrei Konchalovsky. No idea how that happened but let's be thankful that it did. A pulsating and brilliantly acted thriller that even Eric Roberts is really good in. Stunning ending, too.

Great film - fun watching everything unfold and as you said that ending is something else.

“Shut it down Manny that’s all you gotta do!!”

• Paid Members

SUNDAY:-

The Poseidon Adventure (1972) (More4, 09:45) - Enjoyable disaster film even if it takes a while to get going and doesn't do quite enough with the 'upside-down' ship idea. The sequel's alright too, contrary to what you may have heard.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) (BBC2, 18:10) - This being on BBC2 in the early evening means they'll cut out the bit with the heart but otherwise this is still a really fine and under-appreciated instalment of the series. Fuck the voodoo doll bit though.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Paddington (2014) (E4, 19:10) - Refreshing that a pair of films with so much gushing praise behind them are actually completely and totally deserving of all of it. Outshone by its sequel now, maybe, but in its own right it's still a delight.

Face/Off (1997) (5*, 21:00) - Typical really that this would become John Woo's biggest commercial and critical hit in the US even though it's not as good as Hard Target or Broken Arrow. Still a completely potty couple of hours of Travolta and Cage's lunatic acting swapping.

Friends with Benefits (2011) (Film4, 23:10) - Works mostly down to the Justin Timberlake / Mila Kunis chemistry and a brilliant support cast. Light and inconsequential but also quite a charming and funny romcom, from the same guy who brought the superb Easy A.

• Paid Members

MONDAY:-

* White House Down (2013) (Sony Movies, 21:00) - Have to say that I prefer this to Olympus Has Fallen although they're both fine action films, obviously. This one wins due to its buddy cop take on the White House being taken over.

The People Under the Stairs (1991) (Horror Channel, 21:00) - I generally thought Wes Craven was at his best when he was making films that weren't slashers and this is one of his best, I think. A quality concept well executed.

Grabbers (2012) (Horror Channel, 23:00) - A superb Irish monster movie horror-comedy that has loads of that infectious Irish 'eejit' humour to it, not to mention a brilliant scene where they all get drunk. Really deserved a lot more attention when it was released.

Trainspotting (1994) (Film4, 23:15) - Still brilliant, funny, and frightening after all these years, and also still possessing one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - The Imposter (2012) (Film4, 01:05) - I don't watch nearly as many documentaries as I should but I find it hard to believe there have been many better than The Imposter. Presented like a fictional thriller and combining it with a story that you can barely believe was true, it's the perfect combination for this tale. Bart Layton's new film, American Animals, is out this week and receiving huge plaudits too.

"Daddy's Home!!"  People Under The Stairs is a great film, haven't seen that on tv for 20 years.  A genuinely original slice of horror.

Grabbers is fun, good score as well.

• Paid Members

I've probably seen The People Under the Stairs more than any other Wes Craven film, it's still great.

TUESDAY:-

Guadalcanal Diary (1943) (Film4, 11:00) - Amazingly racist war film, even for its time, but if you can look past that and its crappy voiceover, there are some really awesome battle scenes here and a great cast all producing somewhere near their best. Great for any old-school war film fan.

The Three Musketeers (1973) (Film4, 16:40) - The Oliver Reed / Richard Chamberlain / Michael York one, not that shitty Paul WS Anderson one. More of a slapstick comedy than a swashbuckler, some of the fight scenes are quite ropey, but the cast is amazing and it's an enjoyable old romp.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - The Fugitive (1993) (ITV4, 21:00) - One of the greatest action-adventure films of the last 30 years, perhaps of all time. A rewarding plot as well as some brilliant stunts, a great twist and a fine cast make this one of those that you should always watch. Its panned sequel, US Marshals, is also really good.

* Ride Along 2 (2016) (Film4, 21:00) - I know I'm biased towards buddy-cop films but I reckon the Ride Along films are great fun. It helps if you can more than tolerate Kevin Hart, as I can, and if you love Ice Cube, like everyone should.

Eyewitness (1956) (Talking Pictures TV, 21:00) - Obscure British film that is perhaps most notable for the fact that it was one of the very first British feature films with a female director, Muriel Box. A bit daft in places but still a good little thriller.

• Paid Members

Glad to see the love for The Fugitive. What a fantastic movie it is. It's definitely one of those films that, if you turn the Tele on and it's playing, you're going to sit down and watch the rest, even if you've got lots of shit to do. 

Archived