Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Some brilliant stuff on tomorrow as well and I couldn't decide between the two best films. Gone Girl is also on but I've not listed it here because it's fucking shite.

FRIDAY:-

Lifeboat (1944) (Film4, 11:00) - Alfred Hitchcock decides to show off with a one location suspense film to prove that he could do that brilliantly as well. Tallulah Bankhead steals the show, just like you might have heard.

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) (Sony Movies, 13:00) - Not the Nicolas Cage remake but the cheapo original. A total mess, really, but also great fun, especially during its ridiculously brilliant end car chase, and that's all that matters.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - All About Eve (1950) (BBC2, 14:15) - I'm wary of any film that always appears on critics' lists of the greatest films of all time - but sometimes they're right, and especially so in the case of All About Eve. Rising and falling stardom portrayed through amazing performances by Anne Baxter and Bette Davis, it's surely one of the greatest films ever made.

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958) (Film4, 14:55) - One of numerous western collaborations between Budd Boetticher and big Randolph Scott, pretty much all of them are solid and enjoyable westerns and this is no different. Features an absolute beauty of a bar-room brawl.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Rear Window (1954) (Film4, 16:40) - Contrary to popular belief, there IS something wrong with Rear Window - it makes us believe that James Stewart would seriously consider dumping Grace Kelly. Otherwise, the perfect thriller and Hitchcock's best? Maybe. One of the greatest films ever made? Oh yes.

Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (1985) (ITV4, 21:00) - It's comparable to Aliens in the way it's a sequel that drops subtlety and slow build for outright thrills and action, and it works almost as well as its prequel too.

The Crazies (2010) (Horror Channel, 21:00) - I absolutely hated George Romero's original but this is a thoroughly enjoyable remake that goes more for action and also features Timothy Olyphant, thus making it better than almost everything in the process.

My Bloody Valentine (1981) (Horror Channel, 02:30) - Fun old Canadian slasher. Nothing you haven't seen before but it has a great sense of humour and some superb murders.

Face/Off, Tremors and True Romance are all on again as well.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

As a die hard slasher movie obsessive I highly recommend My Bloody Valentine. Hopefully they show the uncut version with the standard definition inserts in the kills. The MPAA butchered the film back in the day and sadly no film elements exist of the uncut scenes. The VHS inserts are really good though and really bump up the effects quota.

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Gone Girl is also on but I've not listed it here because it's fucking shite.

First Bae Vicky C and now The Lovely Rosamund. Me and you will be having words at this rate. (But yeah, it's not very good is it)

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

First Bae Vicky C and now The Lovely Rosamund. Me and you will be having words at this rate. (But yeah, it's not very good is it)

She's picked some right shite since Jack Reacher. Looking forward to Beirut though, mainly because Brad Anderson is usually such a good director.

SATURDAY:-

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) (5*, 17:50) - Watched today it's clear how horribly transphobic this film is, which is a shame because there's a whole bunch of stupid comedy here that still makes me laugh like a twat.

Conduct Unbecoming (1975) (Movies4Men, 18:45) - Great to see this getting some TV airings lately. An otherwise really obscure British military courtroom drama set in Colonial India and focusing on a sexual assault. A superlative cast and a riveting mystery that deserve a hell of a lot more attention.

Outbreak (1995) (5*, 19:35) - Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr. chase Marcel from Friends across America while loads of people get sick and die. Just as much fun as it's always been.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) (E4, 21:00) - Brad Bird emerges from an acclaimed career as a director of animation to completely revive and reinvent a franchise that has got better and better since then. All the while creating an incredible procession of set pieces, stunts and visual wizardry. I'm a fan.

Spotlight (2015) (BBC2, 21:00) - Intense and committed retelling of the Boston Globe's investigation into sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in and around Boston. Supremely well cast and a marvellous companion piece to All the President's Men regarding the investigative journalism process, if not quite as good.

Drive (2011) (BBC2, 23:00) - Ludicrously overrated shortly after its release, opinion seems to have settled down on it slightly now, especially after Nicolas Winding Refn's disastrous two films since then. Over-stylised, maybe, but still a superb crime thriller with a terrific cast.

I'm still side eyeing you but you've put La Belle Lea in your star choice.

A different discussion I'm sure but I think The Lovely Rosamund knew she was approaching the age where roles for older women were at a premium and just banked any old shite while she could, so that she could choose roles later.  She speaks German so maybe she could do a Kristen Scott-Thomas.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

She's picked some right shite since Jack Reacher. Looking forward to Beirut though, mainly because Brad Anderson is usually such a good director.

Always meant to see The Machinist, but I also had Session 9 recommended to me recently. Which other ones are worth checking out?

• Paid Members

Session 9 was recommended to me on here, and I absolutely loved it. Outrageously creepy without even trying to be. It's one you'll watch a few times.

I really enjoyed The Call, an awful lot more than I should have and Stonehearst Asylum is decent popcorn fluff. Kind of like if Jane Austen was tasked with doing the script for Shutter Island.
Transiberian and Vanishing on 7th Street have their moments, but ultimately fall to shite.

• Paid Members

Have to say that I'm a huge fan of Transsiberian but I am in the minority. I absolutely loved it though and not just for Kate Mara. But yeah, The Call was a superb thriller, way better than it had any right to be.

• Paid Members

How can Drive be ludicrously overated and a superb crime thriller at the same time?

It strikes me that an awful lot of people thought it was superb initially because it is. Are there varying degrees of superb?

Don't get me wrong I love your Best Films tips. They are bang on. It's just that I've read loads of back handed complements like that about Drive and other popular films and I just find it super irritating. Its either superb or it isn't. GAH, I dunno. It's the kind of thing that makes my head hurt.

8 minutes ago, DEF said:

How can Drive be ludicrously overated and a superb crime thriller at the same time

Easily.

Let's use Game Of Thrones as an example.  As a TV show, it is widely regarded as very good.  However, some people regard it as one of the best, if not THE best TV show of all time.  It certainly isn't the latter, so therefore it is a very good TV show but overrated.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Easily.

Let's use Game Of Thrones as an example.  As a TV show, it is widely regarded as very good.  However, some people regard it as one of the best, if not THE best TV show of all time.  It certainly isn't the latter, so therefore it is a very good TV show but overrated.

So it's a very good TV show but overated. That I'm fine with. But it isn't superb and overated is it.

Simultaneously knocking something for being popular and at the same time stating it is every bit as good as people say drives me nuts is what I'm getting at.

Maybe I'm being too literal.

21 minutes ago, DEF said:

Simultaneously knocking something for being popular and at the same time stating it is every bit as good as people say drives me nuts is what I'm getting at.

Nobody is doing that.  I'll try with another example.  Do you follow MMA?  I used to think Fedor was both the greatest of all time but also overrated.  The way some people talked about him you'd think he was an unstoppable cyborg, almost superhuman.  Whilst he was widely regarded as the best fighter the sport had seen, myself included in that, I thought some people overstated and overrated his ability.  He was simultaneously the greatest and overrated.

Devon said Drive was a superb crime thriller.  Others have proclaimed it as some kind of revolutionary landmark film.  Devon wasn't one of them so he isn't doing what you've said in the quote.

Look at that match Meltzer gave 6 stars as an example.  Something can be great and overrated at the same time.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, DEF said:

How can Drive be ludicrously overated and a superb crime thriller at the same time?

You really can't see how something could be both?

What is it about this film that sends people mental.

Archived