Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Loki said:

Predator 2 is, in my humble opinion, just as good as the original.   It has an absolute ton of memorable set pieces, loads of classic dialogue "You can' see the eye o' the demon, till 'im comes calling'" and Gary Busey at his best.  If the new film is anywhere as good as this, I'll be a happy man.

Fuckin Voodoo Magic mon....

• Paid Members

WEDNESDAY:-

The Criminal (1960) (Talking Pictures TV, 21:00) - Fine British crime thriller strengthened by Stanley Baker, whose record in films of this genre was impeccable during this period. A brilliant actor, he lifts this to greater heights.

Platoon (1986) (ITV4, 22:00) - Almost my personal favourite Vietnam film, Charlie Sheen's best ever performance, and you could probably say the same for Tom Berenger as well. Still powerful and horribly accurate to this day.

Hell Drivers (1957) (Talking Pictures TV, 23:00) - The second part of a Stanley Baker double-bill, this has elements of The Wages of Fear despite not being quite as good. Features a superb old British cast including a young Sean Connery.

Lockout (2012) (Film4, 23:20) - A surprisingly decent and enjoyable action thriller that even Maggie Grace's 'acting' can't ruin. We probably should have seen Guy Pearce doing more of this sort of thing by now.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Maximum Overdrive (1986) (Horror Channel, 02:35) - I'm deadly serious. I normally hate these 'so bad it's good!' films but Maximum Overdrive is genuinely hilarious, fast-moving and exactly as stupid as it should be. A tragedy Stephen King didn't direct more.

• Paid Members

THURSDAY:-

* Moonraker (1979) (ITV, 20:00) - If you need it explaining why this is on here then I'm fucking reporting you.

* Homefront (2013) (5*, 23:00) - A lesser Jason Statham perhaps, but it's a testament to a fantastic body of action films he has built up over the last 15 years or so that this is really pretty good action thriller is not close to being one of his best.

Dredd (2012) (Film4, 23:10) - One of the five acceptable superhero films ever made. So of course it was a box office flop, probably my fault for liking it. But still a terrific action-thriller in which the only fault is that it overdoes the splashes of style at times.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Joe (2014) (Film4, 01:00) - The worst part of the fact that Nicolas Cage has done such a relentless line of shite the last 10 years or so is that the one or two gems he has done in that time tend to get lumped in with the bollocks he's been in. This superb character drama is one of his best ever performances, a really rewarding little film that deserved so much more attention.

Breaking Away (1979) (Talking Pictures TV, 01:50) - Peter Yates was arguably the most underrated director of the 60s and 70s and Breaking Away is possibly his most under-appreciated film. A quality coming-of-age comedy-drama that was slightly ahead of its time with superb early performances from Dennis Quaid and Daniel Stern.

• Paid Members

FRIDAY:-

* The Departed (2006) (ITV4, 22:00) - Martin Scorsese's superlative reworking of the excellent Infernal Affairs not only improves on the original and happens to be one of Scorsese's very best films, it also gets a good performance out of Ray Winstone.

Society (1989) (Horror Channel, 22:40) - Understandably renowned for its incredibly gooey final third, the rest of Society is also excellent. A great horror satire with some exceptional effects that still look amazing today.

D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Green Room (2015) (Film4, 22:50) - As Jeremy Saulnier's next film, Hold the Dark, draws nearer, a chance to relive one of the greatest thrillers of the decade. As intense a film as you will see with some searing violence and powerful performances. Nazi punks fuck off indeed.

Red Heat (1988) (ITV1, 23:50) - Underrated on several fronts - as a buddy cop film, as a Walter Hill film and as an Arnie film. But it's very funny, features some excellent action scenes, and has terrific chemistry between Arnie and Jim Belushi. I'm not sure why this isn't more widely loved.

Red Eye (2005) (Channel 4, 00:40) - Aside from a final act that has Cillian Murphy hobbling around Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo, Wes Craven proves once again that he was usually at his most entertaining when veering off the slasher track. Really fun and brisk thriller.

Imagine if Neil Blomkamp made his Aliens reboot sequel and cast Anton Yelchin as the offspring of Ripley and Hicks. I bet it would have been better than the time Anton Yelchin played actual Michael Biehn in Terminator Salvation.

It was a horrible and untimely death but seeing how good he was in Green Room makes it even more horrible and untimely. I quite liked his Fright Night turn as well.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Red Heat (1988) (ITV1, 23:50) - Underrated on several fronts - as a buddy cop film, as a Walter Hill film and as an Arnie film. But it's very funny, features some excellent action scenes, and has terrific chemistry between Arnie and Jim Belushi. I'm not sure why this isn't more widely loved.

Plus, it has Gina Gershon in it.

I remember when I was a nipper and being a complete Arnie fanatic, I'd gotten my hands on Red Heat on tape. Ma went out of the house to take the dog for a walk around the bog land at the back of the house. By the time my Ma came back, she fell over about ten of the local kids sprawled out on her living room floor, watching a half naked Arnie walking around a steam room in a towel that hardly covered his Johnson. God only knows what she thought we were watching. I don't think I've ever seen a group of children move as fast, in as many different directions, after she told them all they were making the place look untidy and to get the fuck out of her house.

• Paid Members

There isn't a great deal on tomorrow that I haven't mentioned recently (Bill & Ted, Stargate, Predator 1 and 2, and Platoon are all on again) except for Die Hard (E4, 21:00) and Mean Streets (BBC2, 23:40). The Master and The Imitation Game are both on but I don't like either of them that much.

Murder She Baked: A Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery in on Five at 11:50 though, so there is that.

• Paid Members

MONDAY:

* The Thing from Another World (1951) (Horror Channel, 13:00) - Horror Channel should be showing more old horror films during the day rather than the shite they normally show. One of the best sci-fi horrors of a prolific decade for them and, of course, the basis for John Carpenter's partial remake and all-time classic.

Bullet to the Head (2012) (Film4, 21:00) - I can sort of understand why Walter Hill's flop return to directing was so panned on its release as it does have some crap in it, but it's largely a really decent action thriller that was a bit unfairly treated.

* 8 Mile (2002) (ITV4, 23:00) - A pretty good semi-biopic with Eminem showing more than promising acting talent that he has stupidly chosen to ignore since. I still miss Brittany Murphy.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Triangle (2009) (Horror Channel, 00:35) - I remember successfully bullying a number of UKFF members into watching it several years ago, it's time for a second dose. Christopher Smith's timeloop horror mystery is a truly great piece of storytelling where everything connects together far better than it should do considering its complexity. An absolute must for a second viewing where you can watch it with a different perspective and enjoy it even more. A brilliant film.

The Shout (1978) (Talking Pictures TV, 01:45) - I've flagged this up before but it deserves another flagging up because it's so fantastic. One of the most unique and unsettling British films of its era.

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Thing from Another World is ace. Brilliant and amazingly dangerous practical effects in this as well.

The torching scene that ends with the Thing diving through the window is one of my favorite practical effects in any movie, something that had to be done to absolute precision or could have gone horrendously wrong

Archived