I think Bottom might be my favourite comedy series of all time.  A lot of "classic" series have aged rather poorly, but Bottom seems to exist in its own continuum.  I think the fact that nobody really does slapstick any more means it's sort of a singular anomaly.  The mix of the profoundly sad state they live in with the very studiously crafted slapstick violence, and that wonderful nihilistic script.  Almost every episode is perfect.

• Paid Members

Can we get some love for the live shows? The later ones were a bit shit (but "a bit shit" featuring Ade and Rik is still better than most people at their best) but the first two live shows are fucking fantastic. It's Bottom in it's purest form, as well as Ade and Rik at the absolute top of their game. 

"Now you listen to me buster...you're just a door...I'm Rik FUCKING Mayall! Now close!".

• Paid Members

Bottom is up there in my top 10 TV shows. The Culture episode is the one I enjoy most, particularly the aforementioned Chess scene.

Another great scene is them tied up after the burglary and the way that episode ends. 

• Paid Members

The crossword dialogue in Culture always cracks me up, as does the "duck" conversation in Carnival. It wasn't just two blokes hitting each other with frying pans, it also had some very clever writing. There are several phrases from the show which have worked their way into my everyday lexicon. 

"Kenneth Clarke... Kenneth Clarke..... JOHN SELWYN GUMMER!"

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If you don't spend half your Christmas Day quoting bits from Holy then you're doing Christmas wrong.

"No! One."

Yep! Every single Christmas Day since I can remember has included a loud rendition of, "Half past eight! And all's crap!".