DIY for knuckleheads

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

I really need to purchase something to store my tools, they are just scattered all over the house in cupboards and drawers. I lose my shit every time I need an allen key and the one I need is always missing. 

Edited by Nick James

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My brother’s kitchen has got one of those fitted sockets for the fridge where it’s just an on/off switch with an LED indicating the status. The light has started behaving slightly erratically, almost wobbling a bit as you look at it. He’s concerned that something’s wrong, I’ve told him I’ve seen stuff like this in other houses and it’s nothing to worry about, however he lives alone and is deaf and tends to be a bit paranoid about such things. I’m guessing it’s nothing major, has anyone encountered this? Is it a potential hazard? 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, hallicks said:

My brother’s kitchen has got one of those fitted sockets for the fridge where it’s just an on/off switch with an LED indicating the status. The light has started behaving slightly erratically, almost wobbling a bit as you look at it. He’s concerned that something’s wrong, I’ve told him I’ve seen stuff like this in other houses and it’s nothing to worry about, however he lives alone and is deaf and tends to be a bit paranoid about such things. I’m guessing it’s nothing major, has anyone encountered this? Is it a potential hazard? 

Most likely to be the Neon lamp in the switch faltering. Nothing major.  Get an electrician in to replace it if it will give him peace of mind.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm struggling to keep my router straight, it's only a cheap kit and it has a guide but it's shit that I think is missing a bit. 

It's not worth me buying better kit, but does anyone have a tip for a makeshift guide? 

I'm thinking of just clamping scrap wood to create a back stop, but anything better I can try? 

• 4 months later...

Youngest decided to try and swing from the curtains at my aunts house, pulling the curtain pole fixture off the wall. It looks like it was just screwed into the plasterboard. What’s a quick fix for this? Could I put polyfilla in the holes with the old fixture and set it back in place like that? 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Youngest decided to try and swing from the curtains at my aunts house, pulling the curtain pole fixture off the wall. It looks like it was just screwed into the plasterboard. What’s a quick fix for this? Could I put polyfilla in the holes with the old fixture and set it back in place like that? 

You can get plug-fix polyfilla which is a stronger finish (closer to wood filler). Get the old rawlplugs out, clean the hole, fill it and re-drill the hole

• Paid Members
On 3/30/2022 at 7:30 PM, Tommy! said:

I'm struggling to keep my router straight, it's only a cheap kit and it has a guide but it's shit that I think is missing a bit. 

It's not worth me buying better kit, but does anyone have a tip for a makeshift guide? 

I'm thinking of just clamping scrap wood to create a back stop, but anything better I can try? 

Depends on how much faith you have in the clamp. I'd screw the backstop/fence into the work surface. Therefore eliminating any chance of movement whilst routing.

You've probably already done this. However, watch some YouTube routing videos and I'm sure you'll find one that deals with your exact issue.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I need to clean some 12v connectors and test the circuit. 

I'm assuming some IPA is OK for the cleaning, but any recommendations on a cheap but suitable tester? I ideally want to test the whole circuit and test individual components still work by passing a charge through as well. 

Edited by Tommy!