DIY for knuckleheads

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

So I watch a lot of shit on YouTube. Recently I've been watching a lot of DIY bits. Not really the useful, practical stuff that will maybe save you a few quid, but the 'find some wood lying around and do something with it' type stuff. 

Anyways, I found some old wood in the garage and decided to build a bird house out of what was there. It's a little bit ropey but I was pretty pleased with how it came out. 

Any other budding DIY'ers on here? Quality and shit are both welcomed.

20180421_155920.jpg

20180421_165305.jpg

20180422_131710.jpg

20180422_185429.jpg

• Paid Members

Is this a DIY topic or a DIY megathread? I'm confused 😂

I like a bit of DIY. I'm shit though, I've always got the wrong tool for the job. I did repair our sofa recently. It collapsed in one corner so rather than bin it, I cut the bottom open and realised the bit that holds the spring had died. I manufactured a new one with a bracket and some screws. We're getting a new one when we move so it's perfectly serviceable for now. Even stapled the underneath cover back without losing an eye. Bonus.

• Paid Members

We're after doing a bit of a "hack" on an IKEA kiddies kitchen set — someone who lives in North Carolina asked if we could get one for their kid, as they have no IKEA nearby, and another mate comes up and down the NYC to NC route frequently. She wants to do it herself, but doesn't have the tools or knowhow, so somehow the couple living in a one-bedroom shoebox are doing the spraypainting and customization for the woman with a four-bed detached in the suburbs.

T. Rick — You could always saw it up into a few smaller threads. 

Edited by Sergio Mendacious
Megathreadism

• Paid Members

I've been trying to put together a fucking shoe rack and I just can't figure it out at all. It's just assembly, doesn't require any hammering or screwing (fnarr) but I fit together one bit and then another bit won't slot in. I'm sure there's an order to it but I just threw it into the corner of my room and gave up until my dad comes round and does it.

Couple of things I made recently for work:

31944885_1971092786253946_65757647875426

A bench made out of a guitar case that unfortunately had a run-in with a fork lift so couldn't be used as a case. Reinforced the inside with some wood and added the hairpin legs.

31879836_1970839859612572_45851070685826

And a sign with the work logo to go above the bench. Pallets, stain, laser cutter, blow torch. Nail it on the wall. Done.

Plenty of guitars too, but I don't know if they really count as DIY.

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Not sure if you know Silky but there is actually a YouTube channel called DIY for Knuckleheads. Some Australian guy, very funny. 

I do and that is my inspiration. Even shamelessly nicked his channel name :)

• Paid Members

Love that bird-house, Silky - the "Vacancies" sign is a lovely touch.

I too would love to see those guitars. My friend Tim is on an instrument-building tip at the moment - he's made a couple of cigar-box guitars, and a bread-board dulcimer so far. They sound great too.

DIY's something my parents made very sure I'd have a decent grasp of; we weren't well-off, and our family house when they first bought it needed a lot of repair, so we had to be able to save money by not hiring builders for small jobs and decorating, plus it was much cheaper to buy materials from wholesalers instead of retailers. As a result, I can wallpaper, tile, re-point (though have oddly never done bricklaying), render, plaster, the odd bit of woodwork. 

• Paid Members

Wish I hadn't been in so a hurry in the rain this morning, walking to the subway I saw stuff from an apartment clearout on the sidewalk, and the real eyecatcher was a side table with the Captain Morgan logo burned into the top, and the legs made out of Captain Morgan bottles. If it's still there on the way home, I'm having it.

• Paid Members
Just now, Sergio Mendacious said:

Wish I hadn't been in so a hurry in the rain this morning, walking to the subway I saw stuff from an apartment clearout on the sidewalk, and the real eyecatcher was a side table with the Captain Morgan logo burned into the top, and the legs made out of Captain Morgan bottles. If it's still there on the way home, I'm having it.

That will look great strapped on the back of your toilet.