DIY for knuckleheads

Bus Surfer

Anyone ever painted the outside of their house before? Wife wants it done this year but we've got a few quotes of around £800 which is more than we want to pay for it. 

Looking instead at buying the paint ourselves and potentially hiring a work platform in order to do it ourselves. That works out about £300 altogether so a lot cheaper. Just wondered if anyone had painted the outside of theirs before and how easy it was? 

• Paid Members

Wooden frames? Any chance of some pics of the casting on the walls?

Preparation is the key. You'll want to remove any loose or flaky paintwork. Possibly repair rotten and damaged areas. Then scuff up, lightly sand, the surfaces. This allows the paint to adhere properly. Its important to do all that before painting. 

Edited by BigJag

@Divorced Dad

You are going spend an absolute age going over the house with a wire brush to remove any loose paint, then giving all the window frames a rough sand papering. A lot of the work is the prep, before you can start painting. You might find that you need some filler for frames or to touch up some of the rendering. The only other tip I have is to start from the top down. The actual painting shouldn't take too long at all.

• Paid Members

Sand/wire brush off the peeling paint first. Check the seals. They may want replacing. Treat the rust with a rust removing chemical. Clean and scuff up the surfaces. Then apply a primer coat. Possibly repeat the primer coat. Then paint with a suitable paint in the colour of your choice.  A light sanding, with finishing sandpaper, between coats is recommended. It will enhance the finish. Mask the glass. It'll save loads of time on clean up and give you a neater finish. 

• Paid Members

Ok. The windows look quite modern and are UPVC double glazing. I'm going to say you won't be painting those. The window sill however. The grey block. Is either wood or some form of masonry. Most likely a pre formed concrete block shaped to fit. That can be painted. Use the methods previously mentioned. 

Those walls. Hmmm. They look like pebble dashing. Which is a process of literally dashing pebbles at the wall. I've never seen that painted. The only time I've seen pebble dash coloured is via a rather unique process. The contractor used a hand crancked machine that threw/sprayed paint at the wall. I wouldn't try to paint those walls with a paintbrush. I can't see it being a fun or rewarding experience.

Honestly, from the picture everything looks in good order. There doesn't seem to be much need for extensive work.  Pick a nice colour for the window sill and paint that.

• Moderators

Yeah those walls would be a nightmare to do anything to. They're ugly as shit but the only way to make them look better would be to render them all which would be a big costly job - they'll still look ugly even if they're painted white (which in itself would be a really difficult job, as Jag has mentioned).