DIY for knuckleheads

Bus Surfer

@Divorced Dad

Like Chest said it will really need to be sprayed. That will need to be a professional job, they'll most likely use a rubber based paint which adds an extra layer of protection to the rendering. Whilst it is possible to paint it you would have to stipple on the paint with a brush and that's going to take a really long time.

• Paid Members

With a little help from people here I've got my little home brew kit set up. 

There's some ingredients on the way, so I'll hopefully be spending the Bank Holiday next week trying it out. 

IMG_20200502_155715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I had a few old benches laying around, mostly rusting and the wood rotten in places, so I cut out the bad wood, sanded it back and treated it and gave the metal a good service and turned them into little seats I can put by the pear tree in my allotment space I'm putting in. 

I've another to finish but I'm so surprised it didn't fall apart under my fat arse I thought I'd share. 

IMG_20200517_130152.jpg

• Paid Members

Very nice job there. I'm restoring my mums old bench. The Mrs is currently sanding it down.

It has a few broken slats that will want replacing. Will need to get creative to fix them. I dont want to have to dismantle the bench.

20200506_122634.jpg

20200506_122719.jpg

• 2 months later...

Did some painting of a window frame today that has suffered with mould over the years. It's actually my first bit of real world painting because we've only ever been able to rent (still do). Anyway, I used white spirit to clean the brush. How do I dispose of the leftovers? Apparently it's rather toxic. 

• Paid Members

If you use a glass jar. Like a jam jar. Pour the soiled spirits into that and leave it for a day or two. All the paint will settle to the bottom and the clear liquid can be reused for future cleaning. otherwise you can take it to your local refuse centre for recycling.

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been decorating at home and painted the walls in bog standard Dulux matt paint. For some reason there are two areas where there are lots of bubbles in the paintwork. I've never seen this before, have you? I spoke to my Dad who suggested I sand it all down again, paint the area with an oil based paint, let that dry, paint with the matt again and see if that works. 

• 5 months later...

Random question but has anyone on here ever attempted to saw through a tyre before?

I'm wanting to saw some in half across the middle and then attach some wood to them to make them into balance boards/seats for the school I work at.

I've had a go at it with a hacksaw and an hours hard sawing has given me a cut maybe two inches long. Would a jigsaw or circular saw be a better option?

• Paid Members

As cocopuff said an angle grinder with a cutting disc might be your best bet. 

Don't tyres have a metal weave within them where it fits the rim? cutting through that as well as the rubber with a hacksaw is unlikely to happen and I assume it would just fuck up your jigsaw. 

Edit: I'd suggest you ware a mask, I've never tried it but I assume it will get hot and smoke and stink like that pre puncture smell you get sometimes on the motorway. 

Edited by Tommy!