• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just a curiosity - in reading the BBC write up of Roma winning the brand new “is it prestigious or do we not really know yet” Europa Conference League, they refer to Mourinho as being the first manager to win “all three major European club competitions” or words to that effect.

I’m not sure what irks me more ; on one hand, if there’s not a missing but intended current/active in the “all three” then it does a grave injustice to the Cup Winners Cup which had more history than the UEFA Cup at the time of the unification and for most of their co-existence was a bigger deal than the “runners-up cup.” And the distinction NEEDS made because Trapattoni won all three of the original trophies with Juventus. On the other hand, if there is, its a bit wonky referring to Jose as the first to win all three as it’s the first year of the Conference League. Nobody else has won it, so it’s fairly obvious nobody else will have beaten him to winning all three.

However ; the real question I ask is, when it refers to Roma’s “first major European trophy” - does that do a disservice to the Fairs Cup? It was the spiritual successor to the UEFA Cup and is only unrecognised by UEFA for the fairly obvious reason that they didn’t organise it, but does that mean journos should ignore its brief existence as Europes 2nd tier trophy too? Can’t really argue that football history prior to 1972 doesn’t matter because they always want to talk about how many domestic league titles (not Premier League titles) United or Liverpool have won, and that Real just won their 14th European cup. Is it only dorks like me (and Newcastle fans, probably) that think we should still consider the ICFC as was worthy of mention?

• Paid Members

There's an easy tell to check a global cup competition's prestige. Check the last English holder of each: 

World Club Cup- Chelsea

Super Cup- Chelsea

Cup Winners Cup- Chelsea

Europa League- Chelsea 

Champions League- Chelsea

Fairs Cup- *brb, googling* Yuck, it's Dirty Leeds!

That speaks volumes. I hope next time we have a meltdown season we end up in the ECL and get to be the first to complete the set. I probably won't be able to pretend it's an amazing achievement as good as Jose, but man I'll try!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

However ; the real question I ask is, when it refers to Roma’s “first major European trophy” - does that do a disservice to the Fairs Cup? It was the spiritual successor to the UEFA Cup and is only unrecognised by UEFA for the fairly obvious reason that they didn’t organise it, but does that mean journos should ignore its brief existence as Europes 2nd tier trophy too? Can’t really argue that football history prior to 1972 doesn’t matter because they always want to talk about how many domestic league titles (not Premier League titles) United or Liverpool have won, and that Real just won their 14th European cup. Is it only dorks like me (and Newcastle fans, probably) that think we should still consider the ICFC as was worthy of mention?

That's a really good point, and I do know having read some Italian coverage of the cup win that Roma fans and a lot of Italian media are recognising the Fairs Cup still. They have mostly addressed this recent win as "Roma's first European trophy in 60 years" or whatever. And I've seen fans say the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It seems to be that the Spanish media has been linking him with a slew of women since his seperation from his wife and this afternoon he has tweeted along the lines of "I hope you will respect me - I'm gay".

Puyol replied along the lines of "Now we can tell our story Iker ❤😘" which numerous mainstream news sites jumped on and reported without any hesitation that Casillas was coming out as a gay man and many speculated that Puyol's reply suggested they may have been a couple.

Casillas has since came out claiming that he was hacked however it appears what has happened is that he's thought it was funny/appropriate to say he is gay when he isn't incinuating maybe the Spanish media would then stop linking him to women.

Puyol has tried to make an equally shit and poorly thought out joke incinuating that they were a couple and could now be public.

An all round shit show really.