2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What happened to this guy.

BeÅŸiktaÅŸ came back to win 4-2 after he went off btw.

Obviously as a Spurs fan, I find it really sad, and just as a general football lover I find it really sad as well.

I have my own theory, and this is only my theory based on nothing more than what I've read and heard from others, including a few people close to him and that is that football was his way out, and the only thing he knew.

Clearly incredibly gifted and destined for the top (OK, Spurs) and once he had 'made' it and secured his and his families future, that was it for him, and it just became another job. 

Also, perhaps he never loved football as much as others so once financial security was established, he stopped striving for the top and coasted. Successive managers didn't fancy him at Spurs, and the training ground is where you need to shine, and he Obviously didn't. 

See also, Ndombele, who is one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen, but clearly doesn't give a shit about football. Again, maybe it was his only route out to establish a future for his family.

Also, and I think this is very important, none of us apart from Dele, his family and close friends, know what's going on, and even I have just added to it with my conjecture. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors? 

Will never forget 16/17 Dele. 18 goals and 9 assists in the league...YES I WILL FOREVER BE BITTER WE DIDN'T WIN THE LEAGUE THAT YEAR!!! Fuck off Spurs. Forever. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Obviously as a Spurs fan, I find it really sad, and just as a general football lover I find it really sad as well.

I agree with this a lot. It was so obvious what an amazing talent he was from that MK Dons performance when they beat United 4-0 which put him on the map and to see it so immediately come to the fore when he moved to Spurs - you just wondered how much better he could have got.

But maybe it's as simple as he peaked far, far earlier than most players did. Who knows, but at 26 I still refuse to believe that he's a completely lost talent. I wouldn't actually mind seeing what ten Hag could do with him at United, even at this stage. He's been awful at Beşiktaş though, that wasn't an isolated incident, sadly.

8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I wouldn't actually mind seeing what ten Hag could do with him at United, even at this stage.

I always thought he would end up at United so could still happen. Poch obviously got the best out of him, and Ten Hag seems fairly similar in being a 'project' manager and getting the best out of talents, so perhaps it would be a good fit. 

Maybe Poch just knackered him out. 

I also do think we tend to forget just how many games these players play, it's no wonder they burn out.

Bukayo Saka, at 21 years old, has already played 179 senior games. Which is quite frankly mental. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

and the training ground is where you need to shine,

I think this is key and the All Or Nothing documentary shows that he wasn't putting in the graft on the ground, which as you say could mean he just doesn't love it enough. Doesnt make him a bad guy, it is what it is.

I thought he came across really well in it (Danny Rose, not so much) and I also thought Jose dealt with him well. Tried a couple of different methods to try and get the best out of him. At one point it seemed to be working and he had a mini resurgence under Jose, but it didn't last. It's a shame, as there was clearly a huge amount of talent there. 

Edited by PunkStep

9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

(Danny Rose, not so much)

This is purely down to the "Any word from Milan?" clip to be honest, and at the time it wasn't such a mad thing to say. Rose was one of the best LBs in the league (probably even Europe) for a few years and lots of English players were moving to Serie A.

That was purely down to editing. Rose is a wonderful guy, Sun interview aside. There will be no slander here thanks. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is purely down to the "Any word from Milan?" clip to be honest, and at the time it wasn't such a mad thing to say. Rose was one of the best LBs in the league (probably even Europe) for a few years and lots of English players were moving to Serie A.

That was purely down to editing. Rose is a wonderful guy, Sun interview aside. There will be no slander here thanks. 

It may well have been down to that, but he just didn't come across as well as Dele in those sit-down chats with Jose is all I'm saying. He didn't seem to want to listen or digest what Jose was saying and just said it was unfair. He may well be a wonderful guy, I'm not disputing that at all.

19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It may well have been down to that, but he just didn't come across as well as Dele in those sit-down chats with Jose is all I'm saying. He didn't seem to want to listen or digest what Jose was saying and just said it was unfair. He may well be a wonderful guy, I'm not disputing that at all.

IIRC at the time, he was completely frozen out and training with the youth team, so was probably massively pissed off. 

According to lots of people, he was amazing with the young players and offered a lot of help and advice, and still goes to watch them. I think he's still a free agent.

• Paid Members

Alli could potentially become a player that shines again in the latter stages of his career. It might take something like a humbling drop down to Championship level, but in the right environment and if things click with the right coaching staff, a good mix of old heads and youngsters he can impart wisdom on not to repeat the mistakes he's made, then he might find his mojo again. Even if he doesn't reach his projected heights, I share the opinion that he's still got the potential to make a big contribution to the game. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Today is the 150th anniversary of the 1st international goal scored by Colonel William Kenyon-Slaney, in the 2nd international match after the 1st had ended 0-0. He also scored a 2nd in the 2nd half and then never played for England again. Back then Coloneling in the Grenadier Guards was a bigger gig. 

• Paid Members
On 12/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, SuperBacon said:

Rose is a wonderful guy, Sun interview aside. There will be no slander here thanks. 

Just saw this.

Maybe he is, in general. However, back when they were about to do the big opening bash for the new stadium, Spurs hired my sister to choreograph dancers for a number that was going to be part of it, and this included some of the players. She said everyone was lovely, particularly Christian Eriksen, but with the very notable exception of Rose, who was just an absolute prick towards her. So he can fuck off, as far as I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Just saw this.

Maybe he is, in general. However, back when they were about to do the big opening bash for the new stadium, Spurs hired my sister to choreograph dancers for a number that was going to be part of it, and this included some of the players. She said everyone was lovely, particularly Christian Eriksen, but with the very notable exception of Rose, who was just an absolute prick towards her. So he can fuck off, as far as I'm concerned.

That's disappointing to hear. Less a Rose, more of a Thorn then.