Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

4 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Where did I say that?

Think it was last season, you qualified it with it being a short term thing and you hoped it would shake up the structure but I remember being amazed that a fan said they didn't care about results.

EDIT - @Devon Malcolm it was to do with rather losing and playing entertaining.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

I think he's once again played it brilliantly. The Mourinho three season plan:

Year one is transitional because he's working with the previous squad, so he steadies the ship, gets them to a decent season. The second  one is  where the magic happens and he gets his new contract for more money so that in the third season he can phone it in, start slagging the team off and when everything goes to pot he gets his nice golden handshake and a couple of years to enjoy it before he takes his managerial credentials to the next marks.

There's no denying that he can be a phenomenal manager, his titles and cups speak for themselves, but that group of players should be at least a couple of places further up  the table.

Next manager? Mark Hughes? Solskjaer? Steve Bruce maybe? A player from that era of United's history who can try and instill some of the "United way" into the players and get them playing like they used to would be a decent choice. Somebody who can get Fergie on speed dial for advice for guidance. Well, that or Allardyce for shits and giggles.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Think it was last season, you qualified it with it being a short term thing and you hoped it would shake up the structure but I remember being amazed that a fan said they didn't care about results.

It was while discussing the alleged bullying of Luke Shaw, and I said something like wins and loses dont matter in the short term if all your best players end up leaving (using what happened at Chelsea as an example of this.) I never said that I'd be happy to see them lose if it was entertaining. If that's how it was taken, it certainly wasnt meant that way.

26 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

It was while discussing the alleged bullying of Luke Shaw, and I said something like wins and loses dont matter in the short term if all your best players end up leaving (using what happened at Chelsea as an example of this.) I never said that I'd be happy to see them lose if it was entertaining. If that's how it was taken, it certainly wasnt meant that way.

Ah, right you are.  Apologies for the insinuation.  But Luke Shaw eh?  If only he brought out a clothing range or something.  Did find this from NostradarmIAN though!

44 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Well I guess I'm one then. I still don't understand how that works though.

You'd rather lose but play entertaining than win and be boring?  If that's the case then yes you are.  I suspect it isn't the case though.  Getting results is everything, how you get those results is a bonus.

I think given that most of us choose what team we support when we were children it's a little unfair to hold the glory hunter tag against us. If our team drop down the divisions and we step away then fair enough but despite the origin of our fandom most of us have far surpassed that now.

I'll also reiterate my stance on the good or bad football vs results. There's no reason why a team paying 100's of millions of pounds for players shouldn't have the expectation of playing entertaining football and winning. It's never a choice between the two for teams like Liverpool or United. We have the wealth to attempt the best of all worlds.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You'd rather lose but play entertaining than win and be boring?  If that's the case then yes you are.  I suspect it isn't the case though.  Getting results is everything, how you get those results is a bonus.

Of course I want to see them win matches and of course I want to see them win things. But entertainment comes first and foremost to me these days. I want to see that put in place first at United and then for the winning stuff to follow.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@Keith Houchen Of course it's entertainment! What would you watch a match you're neutral for if not to be entertained? 

I'm talking about my own club though and from the perspective of a fan of that club.  I can't fathom how a fan of a club would put entertainment over results.  Results are the most important thing, are you saying you'd rather be entertained than win the league with incredibly boring football?  Not on your nelly.