Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

:cry: Our lack of width is a bit worrying. Missed out on Gelson Martins as well, but then again we probably didn't fancy being sued through our arsehole like everyone else trying to rob poor old Sporting.

£24m for Ings is madness. Liverpool will make a profit there, right? Still, I guess that makes up for them getting Max Meyer on a free, could be one of the best moves of the summer that.

• Paid Members

Errrr...no? They have made some good signings but let's not go crazy.

Felipe Anderson is quite the coup, but then again you can say that about quite a few players that have moved to clubs that you wouldn't expect- such as Max Meyer, Jean Michael Seri and Rui Patricio. Yarmolenko is a decent signing but I wouldn't say Wilshere and Fabianski are particularly inspiring (but could be decent signings nonetheless). Diop is still young and relatively inexperienced compared to the other signings. I think West Ham will be in a three team mini-league with Everton and Leicester just outside the top 6, but clear of everyone else. The gulf between them and Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal is still massive in terms of quality.

I touched on this a few weeks ago but if the fans (and board) get behind West Ham then they will be alright. Given the players they have brought in they will need to change how they play but if they haven't won many by Christmas then they need to stick with it rather than panic, sack the manager and bring in a Pulis for survival football.

Top 10 and a cup run I think would satisfy them?

I have been watching a bit of Pre-Season (yeah I know its only friendlies) and Arsenal have impressed me, I think they could have a good season this year, Guendouzi looks like a fantastic prospect as well, almost a Wenger like signing of yesteryear that could be a huge player in the coming years.

• Paid Members

I think we've been very fortunate that we didn't have as many players at the World Cup as usual and fewer than the other big 6 clubs, plus half of them were out by the end of the group stages. Three out of five of our signings weren't at the World Cup either. That's put us in a fantastic position to prepare ourselves for the season and give ourselves an advantage over our rivals- lord knows we need it, especially with our opening two games. I think we've had a brilliant pre-season and ready to go next weekend.

Guendouzi is almost a tribute to Wenger. Young, French and full of potential. It seems he isn't going out on loan either, so he'll likely provide cover to Torreira and Xhaka along with Elneny.

City, Spurs and United still haven't had many of their key players back from holiday (arguably 9 out of 11 starters for Spurs) and although Sarri is finally there, Chelsea don't seem to be fully organised yet- certainly in terms of what their squad will look like next season. Liverpool on the other hand have also had a decent pre-season and have made good preparations.

• Paid Members

Quite interested to see how Arsenal do this season. Despite the enjoyment I've had the last number of years watching disaster after disaster befall them, they are always enjoyable to watch on the pitch and I wonder if that situation will change. I don't think it will, but they're the one unpredictable element in the top teams this season.

Because City should romp it again, Liverpool should flatter to deceive again but finish second, United will be boring and Chelsea will probably be about the same. No idea about Arsenal though.

• Paid Members

Spot on. I can make a prediction for the others, but I can't hazard a guess as to where we end up. I'm hoping top 4 (if I'm in an overly optimistic mood then 3rd, behind City and Liverpool), but it's unknown territory. Chelsea have changed managers again yet I feel more confident guessing where they'll end up but they're used to the manager merry-go-round. For us it's not just a managerial change, it's the end of a dynasty. Compete upheaval and the last time we changed managers I was wanking off over Gillian Anderson wearing a pant suit.

I think Spurs will drop off this season. 6 doesn't go into 4 and I think they'll be one of the two to miss out on the Champions League places.

34 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Spot on. I can make a prediction for the others, but I can't hazard a guess as to where we end up. I'm hoping top 4 (if I'm in an overly optimistic mood then 3rd, behind City and Liverpool), but it's unknown territory. Chelsea have changed managers again yet I feel more confident guessing where they'll end up but they're used to the manager merry-go-round. For us it's not just a managerial change, it's the end of a dynasty. Compete upheaval and the last time we changed managers I was wanking off over Gillian Anderson wearing a pant suit.

I think Spurs will drop off this season. 6 doesn't go into 4 and I think they'll be one of the two to miss out on the Champions League places.

Interesting. I think we'll do well to scrap top 4 to be honest, but keen to hear why you think that.

• Paid Members

I think you've regressed over the past couple of years. There's too much hope that the core of the squad will improve to the point of challenging for major honours, which I don't think will happen unless you supplement that talent with reinforcements at a similar level.

The last couple of summers were spent bringing in players to support your first XI, which was fine and much needed, but if your starting XI isn't improved yet the other top 6 teams are, then I think you'll fall behind. For instance, is Eric Dier good enough to play for one of your rivals? Other than a question mark over us whilst Torreira settles in, then absolutely not. Dembele is good, but as good as your rival's options? Who will you be playing at left back? If things aren't going to plan, who will be the difference maker from the bench? If Alderweireld moves, who do you play if Vertonghen and Sanchez can't play 50 games each? If you're not moving forward then you're standing still, therefore Spurs need to do a couple of wonders (Jack Graelish is not a wonder) over the next 6 days to stay competitive I reckon.

Plus, most of your best players won't be fully ready for the beginning of the season, so I reckon there will be a very slow start for you.

• Paid Members

Without us bringing in somebody substantial within the next week or so, we will finish outside the top four and it'll be time for Levy (well, since it isn't Levy's money, ENIC) to go.

We're an attractive option to any number of super rich foreign buyers. London club, brand new, state of the art stadium with an NFL pitch underneath the football pitch. Then we can buy ourselves a few leagues and cups like everyone else does.

Edited by SpursRiot2012