Jamie Oliver

Devon Malcolm

Despite the heavy sarcasm, there is a point where everybody should be able to have some form of treat or comfort that is affordable. I can afford healthy food, and try to cook healthy when I can but many cannot. When I was a kid it was a nice treat to go to McDonald's or Pizza Hut but if poorer families cannot afford it then what treats can they give their kids. Some junk food is overall fine, as long as it is in moderation.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

This only thing worse than this dribbling cunt slowly ruining everything is the slathering politicians enabling him. 

Why? Why must you take every crumb of comfort from this dismal existence? It's all well and good living in a mansion and having unlimited expendable income. What about the rest of us, who just want to get shitfaced and eat 2 extra large pizzas while crying every Sunday?

What if - bizarre as it might sound - two people want to buy one pizza each, and save themselves a few quid? What if it's four people that only want half a pizza each?

This assumption that someone who buys two pizzas at the same time is going to eat them both themselves is completely without merit.

• Paid Members

Not allowed, of course. Just file this under 'how do we stop poor people being able to afford the occasional takeaway'. Because there is no way on earth the cost savings will be given to the consumer unless the sales of pizza fall dramatically enough to justify it. 

I'd fucking love to make Jamie Oliver live on the breadline for a year and then see how he feels about having some preening tit telling him what he can and can't eat. I'd love for him to be in that position and experience how depressing it is to have some of the small mercies in life made increasingly expensive because a millionaire twat from London knows it all. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Also it reeks of "poor people aren't informed enough to make their own decisions so I will for them."

Speaking of poor people, has Jamie made sure all those employees  fucked by Jamie's Italian tanking have been paid yet?

• Paid Members

Eating healthy costs much less than buying takeaways or ready meals. You can make a spaghetti bolognese or curry from scratch for 4-6 people for much less than a takeaway pizza. You can make your own pizza for cheaper in the time it would take to have one delivered.

Go to the right places for veg and it's pennies. We got two massive jacket potatoes for 77p the other day. 

In fact, the worst culprits for draining our bank balance is junk food and takeaways. He might be a tosser but people who whinge they can't afford healthier food are just lazy. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Eating healthy costs much less than buying takeaways or ready meals. You can make a spaghetti bolognese or curry from scratch for 4-6 people for much less than a takeaway pizza. You can make your own pizza for cheaper in the time it would take to have one delivered.

Go to the right places for veg and it's pennies. We got two massive jacket potatoes for 77p the other day. 

In fact, the worst culprits for draining our bank balance is junk food and takeaways. He might be a tosser but people who whinge they can't afford healthier food are just lazy. 

What you unsurprisingly forget or don't understand is that for many people it is not JUST a matter of money. It's a matter of time.

Many families live in a situation where they don't have the time to stand and prepare meals all the time. If both parents are working jobs at either ends of the day, just so they can scrape together enough where they're not eating from food banks (which many more will be doing as a result of Jamie Oliver getting his own way increasingly), then a takeaway or fast food is the only way they and their kids are eating.

Oliver shouldn't be focusing all his energies on so-called healthy eating, something that he clearly doesn't care about in his own restaurants because he's only interested in telling poor people what they should or should not eating. He should be using his influence and resources in this country to get people eating - full stop. People are starving to death in this country. There were 1.3 million emergency food packages sent out to families in the last tax year. Where's his help on that front? Why isn't he making stupid fucking cartoons about food banks and sending them to Tory ministers?

But no. Tosspots like Oliver are only interested in pushing their will and image on the most vulnerable people in this country. Not only that, he's essentially telling many adults, whether they have children or not, that they can't go out and have 241 pizzas if the mood takes them. What business is it of his what I eat? Or anyone else's for that matter? I'll eat what I want, I'll feed my kids what I can, and I'll do these things because I'm capable of making my own decisions and trying to be a decent dad. I don't need Jamie Oliver's help or advice and I certainly don't want it.

• Paid Members

Like Devon said, time is a big thing - growing up with siblings, and both parents working at least two jobs, I don't begrudge my parents usually feeding us cheap junk food, as cooking a healthier meal from scratch (or more likely several different healthier meals, once different ages, tastes and dietary requirements are taken into account), in our tiny little kitchen, just wouldn't have been practical at all.

One of my brothers is in a similar position now - he used to be a pub chef, ate very well, only used meat either from a local butcher or from pheasants that he'd shot, fresh ingredients, and so on. But now, as a single dad with four kids ranging in age from 14 to 4, working 12 hour days, it's all well and good to say, "healthier food is cheaper", but that's asking him to take another hour or more out of his day to prepare multiple meals (and that's just for the evening, never mind whatever goes into the kids' lunchboxes and getting that ready for them), and several more hours to make longer or more frequent shopping trips to ensure that his kitchen is stocked with fresh ingredients, when it's so much easier to just nip to the shop once in a while and make sure the freezer's full of quick and simple food.

On paper, I don't really mind something like the sugar tax - I don't see it as any different to taxing cigarettes or booze - but stuff like banning 2 for 1 pizza offers is absurd. And, as Oliver has shown with his restaurants, it's not about sugar or healthiness, it's about demonising the underclass. Let's single out council estate kids for drinking too much Tizer, but fill our restaurants' drinks with more than six times the recommended daily amount of sugar. You can go to a posh dinner party or a corporate buffet and shove your faces full of all the meticulously laid out bowls of Kettle Chips you can handle, but God forbid that a kid at an inner city school have a packet of Skips in their pack-up.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What you unsurprisingly forget or don't understand is that for many people it is not JUST a matter of money. It's a matter of time.

Many families live in a situation where they don't have the time to stand and prepare meals all the time. If both parents are working jobs at either ends of the day, just so they can scrape together enough where they're not eating from food banks (which many more will be doing as a result of Jamie Oliver getting his own way increasingly), then a takeaway or fast food is the only way they and their kids are eating.

Absolutely bollocks. Two adults in the house and not one of them has any time to prep food for 15 minutes and serve it up later? You know you don't have to stand at the oven and watch it cook the entire duration?

I grew up in with my brother, with a working single mother and she cooked near enough every single night. Never fobbed us off with pizzas. We were poor as shit but we got proper home cooked food. Maybe that's why I don't believe for a second that an adult or even two is too poor for proper food but can afford takeaways left and right, or is too busy to cook a good meal. It's laziness, through and through. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I grew up in with my brother, with a working single mother and she cooked near enough every single night. Never fobbed us off with pizzas. We were poor as shit but we got proper home cooked food. Maybe that's why I don't believe for a second that an adult or even two is too poor for proper food but can afford takeaways left and right, or is too busy to cook a good meal. It's laziness, through and through. 

My situation growing up was exactly the same. Single mum working long hours who managed to cook for my brother & I with fuck all money.

It's 100% laziness. The conversations I hear in the office where people claim they're 'too busy' & 20 minutes later the same people are discussing what happened on last night soaps. If you've got time to watch Emmerdale then you've got time to not feed your poor kids shit. Most of them admit to being rubbish cooks but it boils down to them not being arsed to learn. If you can read a recipe you can cook.

When I first lived on my own I wanted to spend all of my disposable income of going out, wrestling tapes & weed, I used to batch cook like a beast on a Sunday & freeze it for later. It's a piece of piss.