That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I'd say the latter in Orville, for the most part. Also, in the earlier episodes there are a lot of jokes, there are a lot less in later episodes and they land much more smoothly.

Ok cool, I noticed it's available on my Now TV box, so I might give it a whirl while I wait for Discovery to return. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Ok cool, I noticed it's available on my Now TV box, so I might give it a whirl while I wait for Discovery to return. 

I recommend that you power through any early feelings of "this is shit" because I truly feel it becomes a decent, very watchable homage to TNG and I'm really looking forward to season two.

The Orville, for me, is like comfort food. It reminds me of simpler times, somehow.

• Paid Members
Just now, SpursRiot2012 said:

I recommend that you power through any early feelings of "this is shit" because I truly feel it becomes a decent, very watchable homage to TNG and I'm really looking forward to season two.

The Orville, for me, is like comfort food. It reminds me of simpler times, somehow.

See, the early reviews (along with the aforementioned Macfarlane concerns) were part of what made me avoid the show. I love TNG, so am more than willing to power through some teething problems if it's paying tribute to Picard and co. Will definitely give it a look. 

• 2 months later...

Alright guy, I need some advice. Sorry if something like this has already been asked before but I need a recommendation on what to watch next. 

Me and the missus have just finished TNG. She was mocking me for being into Star Trek when we started but at the end she was into it more than me. We found that it was a nice and easy show to watch an episode of before bed.

So which series should we go for next? I was saying DS9 but she wants to watch the new Discovery series.

• Paid Members

Agreed. A bit of continuity is always good to transition with first. Discovery is excellent, but the different style is jarring at first. Besides, DS9 is awesome. Starts off meh, but quickly becomes must-watch. Andrew Robinson as Garak is always tremendous.

I realise this might result in excommunication from the thread, but we're re-watching Babylon 5 at the moment, now up to series 4. It's such a slow burner when you consider what a mish-mash series 1 was, but amazing storytelling if you're willing to play the long game and stick with it. Anyway, I only mention it because the one we watched last night had Bryan Cranston in a small but important role. Walter fucking White! Marked out for that one almost as much as when Kelsey Grammer popped up in TNG. 

• Moderators

I saw an articles yesterday saying Patrick Stewart is in talks to reprise the role of Picard.

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/patrick-stewart-new-star-wars-series-2341413

That's not the article I read but the first one that comes up on Google, as I didn't want to come in sourceless.

Edit: lol. Just seen the url for the article. Intentional joke, surely?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I think that CBS could do a lot more to tentpole the Star Trek TV brand. I was always a fan of the original idea for Discovery, which was that it would be an anthology series where each season tells the story of a different crew.

I'd like to see what the TNG folk are up to now. Picard as an Admiral, Riker captaining his own ship etc. I know that there are the books, but they are so hit and miss.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I realise this might result in excommunication from the thread, but we're re-watching Babylon 5 at the moment, now up to series 4. It's such a slow burner when you consider what a mish-mash series 1 was, but amazing storytelling if you're willing to play the long game and stick with it. Anyway, I only mention it because the one we watched last night had Bryan Cranston in a small but important role. Walter fucking White! Marked out for that one almost as much as when Kelsey Grammer popped up in TNG. 

I love Babylon 5, and even liked series 1, although series 5 was not good at all. Crusade was the absolute fucking pits. For some reason I missed Bryan Cranston - which series was he in?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I haven't watched B5 in years, but just thinking about it: Michael Garibaldi reminds me of Miller from The Expanse. Miller is better, though.

Really enjoyed The Expanse, glad it got rescued. Miller's definitely way better, mainly because he's played by Thomas Jane. Jerry Doyle, who played Garibaldi and passed away recently, was like a poor man's Bruce Willis.

• Paid Members

For me (and I imagine a lot on here), the most exciting project they can create is something with an older Picard and co. There were rumours the Tarantino effort (which probably will not happen) features Picard in quite a prominent role.

But, aye, it's the move. Picard doing something along the lines of Discovery would be tremendous.