• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As to your second point, I actually agree, but I know of people who have seen something like The Goonies or The Princess Bride but only as an adult and so thought it was shit. I too only watched it for the first time in my teens (My parents banned me from watching it as a kid, no idea why) and I loved it. So whilst I don't myself think thats an acceptable reason to form an opinion on things, others do.

Midnight Run isn't a kids' film though so your comparison is off anyway. I get the point that watching certain kids' films in your adulthood might lead to an indifferent experience (I didn't think much of The Princess Bride) but we're talking about a 15 rated action comedy where Charles Grodin asks Robert De Niro if he's ever fucked a chicken. You've not missed anything from not having seen it as a kid.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Midnight Run isn't a kids' film though so your comparison is off anyway. I get the point that watching certain kids' films in your adulthood might lead to an indifferent experience (I didn't think much of The Princess Bride) but we're talking about a 15 rated action comedy where Charles Grodin asks Robert De Niro if he's ever fucked a chicken. You've not missed anything from not having seen it as a kid.

Good counter. Maybe a better example would have been something like Robocop, but as I said, I don’t agree with that stance myself. HOWEVER, I am going to give it another watch to see if my Baywatch of it has changed on a second viewing. 

• Paid Members

I acknowledge this will be of no interest to nobody but:-

As far as I'm aware, unless it's had any other recent airings on Paramount, it hasn't been show on TV for about 15 years over here. The only way you can stream it is a version that is (was?) on YouTube that somebody had taped off Sky Digital just after its launch. It's never been released on VHS or DVD for some reason, amd isn't available to stream on any official platforms, I believe. A bit of a rarity, but also a great film if not one you're going to get much of a laugh out of.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I acknowledge this will be of no interest to nobody but:-

As far as I'm aware, unless it's had any other recent airings on Paramount, it hasn't been show on TV for about 15 years over here. The only way you can stream it is a version that is (was?) on YouTube that somebody had taped off Sky Digital just after its launch. It's never been released on VHS or DVD for some reason, amd isn't available to stream on any official platforms, I believe. A bit of a rarity, but also a great film if not one you're going to get much of a laugh out of.

Is it bad that I only heard of this film because of Weird Al Yankovic?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Paul Newman double bill on ITV4 this weekend

Board favourite The Sting today at 12:55!

Tomorrow at 13:35 is The Towering Inferno. I think this film disappeared for a bit after 9/11 but is back now. Tune in to see Paul Newman and Steve McQueen get all dirty and sweaty whilst taking on a massive fire ( and also behind the scenes fighting over who had the most lines!). Not as good as Poseidon Adventure for me but still a really great few hours 

Edited by waters44

• Awards Moderator
32 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Tomorrow at 13:35 is The Towering Inferno. I think this film disappeared for a bit after 9/11 but is back now. Tune in to see Paul Newman and Steve McQueen get all dirty and sweaty whilst taking on a massive fire

Cheers, never got round to seeing this. 

( and also behind the scenes fighting over who had the most lines!).

And according to one of Kermode's seven anecdotes: squabbles over poster top billing means one of them is upper right and the other lower left so neither truly has the best placement. Good article about name placement here: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-dark-arts-of-poster-billing/