• Paid Members

I think I have seen The Deer Hunter only once, probably close to twenty years ago, and some of the scenes scarred a young Stanton to the point that they still haunt my thoughts to this day. I did love the film though, I'm interesting in watching it again so I'll stick that one on the Sky planner. FMJ is one of my all-time favourites, I always took exception to those that only thought the film was any good while Ermey was cracking the funny lines off. It's an incredibly moving film.

Extremely useful thread so far, many thanks Devon!

• Paid Members

I think the final shootout with the sniper in FMJ is one of the best scenes Kubrick ever directed, it's incredibly good.

Film4 are doing a 1970s crime season, I think, so there are some beauties on this week.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'll bet Stanley was too shy to tell her, bless him.

I love the story about how on Clockwork Orange the guy playing the minister for the interior had a real cockney working class accent and McDowell told Kubrick he should have a plummy Eton accent. Kubrick didn't understand why.

Although McDowell could be embellishing, given Stans meticulous approach.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Tomorrow (Monday):-

* PICK OF THE DAY - Full Metal Jacket (1987) (TCM - 00:40) - I was once like those idiots who think that this is half a good film (the first part) and half a boring film. But I saw the light when I last watched it a couple of years ago and it hangs together as one of Stanley Kubrick's very best and one of the very finest anti-war films of all time.

i think everyone goes through that stage who see's the movie relatively young. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i think everyone goes through that stage who see's the movie relatively young. 

That's true. I first saw it when I was 11, but I didn't really get the full meaning of quite a chunk of it, so I re-watched it later in my late teens, and understood much more.

Doesn't always work. I'm almost convinced the opposite was true for me with Dune.

• Paid Members

Tonight and tomorrow:-

* Silent Running (1971) (Film4 - 02:15) - A cult favourite among UKFFers and deservedly so. This great old sci-fi comedy-drama is full of heart and gives Bruce Dern one of his greatest ever roles. Duncan Jones tried, and largely failed, to replicate the formula for Moon.

* The Big Steal (1949) (Movies4Men - 02:35) - Movies4Men has become arguably the best place to find all noirs and crime films and this Robert Mitchum vehicle is an action-packed thriller that arguably put the great Don Siegel on the map.

* The Cruel Sea (1953) (TCM - 15:00) - What this season on TCM has proved is that Ealing Studios were more than just about comedy. Charles Frend's gruelling war drama also happens to be one of the very best WW2 films of the post-war era. Jack Hawkins and Stanley Baker proving themselves as two of our greatest ever actors helps a lot.

* Starman (1984) (Film4 - 16:35) - After the runaway success of Assault On Precinct 13 through to The Thing had established John Carpenter as one of the greatest directors of his generation, he went through a slightly experimental phase of three films that alienated him with critics and received lukewarm responses at the box office. The misfire of Christine was followed by Starman, a really enjoyable sci-fi drama that thrives on the performances of Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen. One of the dark horses of his filmography but truly worthwhile viewing.

* PICK OF THE DAY - The French Connection (1971) (Film4 - 01:40 (Thursday) - What a way to announce yourself as one of the most important directors of your generation. William Friedkin's sensational crime thriller packs in one of the greatest car chases of all time, one of the greatest foot chases of all time, one of the greatest endings of all time, and manages to be compelling, challenging and brilliant the whole of the rest of the time too. We all know Gene Hackman was the greatest but we shouldn't forget what an amazing 1970s Roy Scheider had. This, Klute, Marathon Man, Jaws 1 and 2, Last Embrace, The Seven-Ups, Sorcerer, All That Jazz - follow that.

By the way, if you're looking for something newer to watch tomorrow, there's some good stuff on too. The underrated Knight and Day and Premium Rush are on Film4 and Sony respectively at 18:50 and 21:00. Dog Soldiers is on Film4 at 23:30. Oh, and Shaun of the Dead is on ITV2 but you already knew that.

Edited by Devon Malcolm