• Paid Members

Just caught a cracking film i'd taped off Talking Pictures TV, Hell is a City. Stanley Baker in a hammer noir playing a cop trying to track down an escaped convict he'd already put away. On again this weekend. Worth seeing for old movie fans.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Just caught a cracking film i'd taped off Talking Pictures TV, Hell is a City. Stanley Baker in a hammer noir playing a cop trying to track down an escaped convict he'd already put away. On again this weekend. Worth seeing for old movie fans.

It's great. Shot in and around Manchester as well, one of the few films of that era to have been done so.

Surely Stanley Baker was the greatest Welshman who ever lived aside from Ryan Giggs.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Couldn't help but think he'd have made a great Bond while watching that list night. He reminds me of Lewis Collins, but clearly a superior actor.

According to his Wiki, his widow claims he was originally offered the role but turned it down.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

According to his Wiki, his widow claims he was originally offered the role but turned it down.

Offered the role of Bond is the acting equivalent of 'At one point Vince was planning on putting the belt on me' everyone of an age seems to think they were offered it. 

• Paid Members

He wouldn't have suited Bond at all, I don't think, not in the era he was around. Although he'd have made a decent Dalton-esque down-to-earth version later on.

The Criminal, Accident, Robbery, A Prize of Arms and The Cruel Sea are all great Baker performances and really good films too. I'd recommend them all.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I was going to bring this back but then I looked at the schedule for tomorrow and there's hardly anything good on aside from The Devil and Daniel Webster on Talking Pictures TV at 10:50 and Coogan's Bluff on ITV4 at 23:00.

Dirty Dancing is also on but it's fucking shit.

• Paid Members

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is on 5Spike tomorrow at 15:10, probably the best Sinbad film of them all. The Howling (Horror, 22:55) is one of the best werewolf films ever made, needless to say easily the best of the series. Taxi Driver (Sony, 22:55) has never been a film I've loved but that's on as well. Rambo II (ITV4, 23:05) gets its weekly outing, as it should, while Gumshoe (Talking Pictures TV, 00:30) is a great tribute to Albert Finney's talents as an actor and a superb offbeat British noir.

• Paid Members

Always preferred The Golden Voyage of Sinbad myself - yeah, the accents are dodgy, but overall, I prefer the plot, and it has some of the best Harryhausen animated sequences I've ever seen, the best of which is the Khali statue scene (even though it's actually Shiva...). Seventh Voyage was still great, but I always found that 50s Hollywood style a bit jarring with certain genres.