• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

With Joel Edgerton? He's a really good actor who doesn't pick enough good films for his talent. He was superb in Warrior especially.

The gift was great as well I thought.

less said about his Star Wars work mind

• Paid Members

Tomorrow:-

* The Set-Up (1949) (Movies4Men - 06:00) - Robert Wise was one of the greatest directors of all time, it's just that nobody else has realised it yet. His versatility was his strongest point and here he turns this boxing drama into one of the very best noirs of the classic period, with the great Robert Ryan in one of the finest performances of his stellar career.

* See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) (Sony Movie Channel - 18:55) - The only downside to them showing it this early is that we'll be denied Joan Severance's nude scene. Otherwise, still as funny as fuck.

* Alien: Resurrection (1997) (Film4 - 21:00) - A timely screening considering the Joss Whedon stuff this week. It is, of course, a fucking mess - Jeunet and Whedon were never going to gel together. But thanks to Jeunet's visual invention and understanding of the franchise, he manages to pack in some great scenes and images in-between Whedon's usual jocular tripe. It's worth seeing.

* PICK OF THE DAY - Chinatown (1974) (Film4 - 01:00) - You have to persevere with Chinatown because the first watch of this can be tough. The plot is labyrinthine to the point of distraction and the ending is, of course, hard to stomach. But repeated viewings are essential to revealing this to be possibly the greatest crime film of the finest decade for the genre, and one of my top 10 favourite films of all time. So basically, if this is your first viewing, watch it again a week later. And then thank me afterwards.

• Paid Members

Loads of good stuff on tomorrow, lads, check this haul out:-

* The Locket (1946) (Movies4Men - 06:00) - Movies4Men's 6am noir slot continues to bring some utterly superb films and this psychological thriller, featuring one of Robert Mitchum's earlier roles, is no exception. Brilliant use of flashbacks and a great ending especially.

* Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964) (Talking Pictures TV - 12:25) - The 60s were generally a quiet decade for crime films but there were quite a lot of interesting, offbeat and more psychology based films such as this one. Bryan Forbes' film is probably one of Britain's finest ever crime films, with Richard Attenborough and Kim Stanley possibly never better. You also get a pre-Fairy Nanette Newman and a pre-Alan Bradley Mark Eden. I adore this film.

* The Dirty Dozen (1967) (TCM - 15:00) - If there's one thing I love, it's a war action adventure film. The Dirty Dozen isn't quite my favourite film of that genre (Where Eagles Dare, lads) but it's still fucking brilliant. A bunch of craggy bastards led by the craggiest bastard of them all, Lee Marvin, killing hundreds of Nazis. What more could you possibly ask for.

* The Secret of My Success (1987) (Sony Movie Channel - 16:30) - Not one of Michael J. Fox's better known or most widely liked 80s comedies, but only because he had so many of them. This is really good - lots of funny moments with a sparky plot and if you're still not convinced, Helen Slater. There you go.

* Labyrinth (1986) (5* - 19:00) - Not as good as Tumblrinas would have you believe but still obviously great. The 80s were a great decade for fantasy adventure films, possibly the best ever, and while I prefer stuff like Willow and Time Bandits, Labyrinth isn't far off.

* Poltergeist (1982) (TCM - 21:00) - Imagine thinking that Tobe Hooper directed this. Spielberg makes a very Spielberg-esque spin on the haunted house film and it's still far fresher in that genre than any of these Conjuring films and shit being crapped out these days.

* PICK OF THE DAY - Predator (1987) (Film4 - 21:00) - Fuck yeah.

* Predator 2 (1990) (Film4 - 23:05) - Double fuck yeah.

* Serpico (1973) (Film4 - 01:15) - Not much need to move off Film4 all night tomorrow, is there? Sidney Lumet's masterful biographical crime thriller about an infamous New York cop whistleblower features a rare restrained Al Pacino performance and as such it's probably no coincidence that it might be his best ever.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

From September 1st, Talking Pictures TV are doing a season of Laurel & Hardy films. It's the first time they've been shown on UK TV in over a decade. It will include features and also some of their shorts.

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

From September 1st, Talking Pictures TV are doing a season of Laurel & Hardy films. It's the first time they've been shown on UK TV in over a decade. It will include features and also some of their shorts.

Think Blockheads, is the first one to be aired. Seen it plenty of times and have it on DVD but will still be watching! 

• Paid Members
On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:24 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Tomorrow (Monday):-

* Went The Day Well? (1942) (TCM - 15:00) - TCM's superb Ealing season continues with this enjoyable WW2 propaganda thriller about a small English town invaded by Nazis posing as Allied troops. A bit silly and flag-waving in places but generally really good fun.

I'll not lie, I was caught totally off guard by

Mrs Collins buttering up the German with a sausage before caving his head in with an axe.

• Paid Members

Very fuckin angry here! 

I'm watching Predator on Film 4 and right after Arnie says one of the greatest delivered lines in cinema history "If it bleeds...we can kill it" it goes direct to a fucking poxy ad break instead of the Dindindindin Building a Trap scene. 

I really did 'pop' - for want of a term - at that line just there and then expecting goosebumps I get the Boursin ident.

Its like getting a blowy but she makes you finish on your own navel.

Sorry its an angry post, but if anyone underrstands my frustrations here, its you, D-Mal

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

After a few years with no TV subscription I got some bare bones Virgin media TV bundle free with my internet. I can't believe how bad TV is so I'd like to remind everyone this thread exists.

I just discovered a channel called CBS action and an amazing Chuck Norris Temple of Doom/Romancing the Stone rip off called Firewalker is on shortly. Over the Top is on later too.

• 1 year later...