• Paid Members

I remember watching some cracking ones when I was 13, 14 years old and taking advantage of summer holidays to stay up till 4am watching Sky Movies or The Movie Channel. There were some fun pot-boilers I remember, like Robot Jox and Quarantine (the one with no big names in).

Netflix has got some great classics on at the moment. I think 12 Angry Men is on right now, as is High Plains Drifter and The Long Riders.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@tiger_rick Yeah, it's a great old channel. A lot of their stuff is from BFI archives and hasn't seen TV in decades. Some great old obscurities on it.

Yep has some great old movies. If its on again A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square is worth checking out. Another good one is Suddenly with Frank Sinatra too.

• Paid Members

Today!

Detective Story (1951) (TCM - 16:45) - Amazing and offbeat film noir from the great William Wyler set almost entirely in Kirk Douglas' police station. Probably an influence on the likes of Hill St. Blues and it's one of Kirk's greatest ever performances. Yep, that good.

Home Alone (1990) (Film4 - 16:50) - It's not fucking Christmas yet but Daniel Stern getting a spider put on his face is funny any time of the year.

Bullitt (1968) (TCM - 18.45) - Worth it not just for the car chase. The rest of this film is excellent too and it's a great precursor to the grittier crime movies of the 1970s.

Pale Rider (1985) (TCM - 21.00) - Not quite as good as High Plains Drifter on the 'Clint Eastwood probably plays a ghost' western front, but still pretty great. Features a great fight with Richard Kiel sans metal teeth.

Anaconda (1997) (Sony Movies - 21:00) - Almost worth it for Jon Voight's leering at Jennifer Lopez alone, but the rest of it is great too. I love a good monster movie. My only complaint - the snake isn't big enough!

The Game (1997) (Sony Movies - 22:50) - If we're honest, David Fincher isn't actually all that great but The Game is definitely one of his best, probably because it has Michael Douglas in it.

PICK OF THE DAY - Runaway Train (1985) (Movies4Men - 00:40) - A great day for Jon Voight fans indeed. Features Eric Roberts' only good performance and is a brilliant thriller from start to finish.

• Paid Members

That's a good bleedin' line up for tonight, D-Mal.

The Game is absolutely wonderful, until the ending. I still watch it from time to time hoping my stance will thaw out, but it really is a terrible ending that almost outdoes the goodwill it built up preceding it.

And I'll be watching Runaway Train once I get me wee lass, Emily, to bed as the Mammy is out on the piss tonight so we'll have our pizza and home cinema night.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

That's a good bleedin' line up for tonight, D-Mal.

The Game is absolutely wonderful, until the ending. I still watch it from time to time hoping my stance will thaw out, but it really is a terrible ending that almost outdoes the goodwill it built up preceding it.

And I'll be watching Runaway Train once I get me wee lass, Emily, to bed as the Mammy is out on the piss tonight so we'll have our pizza and home cinema night.

If it ended

when he hits the crashmat that would have been perfect. Unambiguous, but doesn't have the jarring bit where he's just hanging out at a party after as if nothing happened. Let's you know that it was definitely a set up, but allows your brain to start thinking about the implications of it and how you would react and put your life back together after, as the credits roll. It's basically only really about 1min away from being a perfect ending.

In fact, I'm going to get a good digital copy and edit my version and then watch it like that, dammit!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

That's pretty bang on, Chest! I remember being so excited to see it in the cinema as I was such a huge fan of Seven, and it really lived to up my expectations until the ending which caused, I think, the whole cinema to leave with a bit of a pissy attitude towards it.

My girlfriend at the time said “I reckon Hollywood wouldn’t let him have another downer ending after Seven (which was funnily enough one of our first dates)” but I think the opposite. I think Fincher just said “I want to give people what they really don’t expect” and gave us an absolute howler of a last three minutes.

I wonder if somebody has done a Fan-Edit? The Constantine, Crow - City of Angels, Prometheus and Bateman Begins were all tremendous in their own weird ways.

• Paid Members

Tomorrow! (Tuesday)

PICK OF THE DAY - The Wrong Man (1956) (TCM - 9:00) - Not widely regarded as one of Hitchcock's best, and certainly not one of his best known. It should be. In many ways it's his darkest film - none of his usual black comedy here, just a bleak look at the effect of wrongful accusations and possibly Henry Fonda's finest ever performance. Absolutely brilliant.

Two-Way Stretch (1960) (TCM - 11:10) - Wonderful old British crime comedy with an absolutely perfect British cast headed by one of Peter Sellers' best displays. Not one of the country's best-known comedies of that era but certainly one of my favourites.

King Solomon's Mines (1985) (Sony Movie Channel - 15:00) - Unfairly maligned for being an Indiana Jones ripoff, which it is really, it's still an enjoyable adventure on its own and that's even before you factor in Sharon Stone.

To Have and Have Not (1944) (TCM - 17:10) - Sometimes considered to be little more than riding the coattails of Casablanca, I actually prefer this. Bacall and Bogart have more chemistry, the plot is a lot more interesting and it's also got Walter Brennan, which always helps.

* Money Train (1995) (Movies4Men - 21:00) - For the most part a total mess but really good fun with it. I realised two things with this film - 1) That Jennifer Lopez is actually a really good actress and 2) That we really don't treasure Woody Harrelson highly enough. The guy is always great.

Rambo: First Blood (1982) (ITV4 - 22:00) - Became slightly ignored behind its more immediately memorable and spectacular sequel, but this really is such a superb action adventure that also has lots of stuff to say about the treatment of Vietnam veterans. Owes a lot to the previous year's Southern Comfort, which can only be a good thing.

* Kramer vs Kramer (1979) (Film4 - 01:30) - My assumption before watching this recently was that it was probably Oscar bait boredom. And it isn't. Perhaps mostly down to a quality Dustin Hoffman performance but it's impressively balanced and thoughtful and rarely lapses into over-sentimentality.

• Paid Members
On 8/3/2017 at 0:54 PM, Carbomb said:

I remember watching some cracking ones when I was 13, 14 years old and taking advantage of summer holidays to stay up till 4am watching Sky Movies or The Movie Channel. There were some fun pot-boilers I remember, like Robot Jox and Quarantine (the one with no big names in).

Yeah, around 1994 to 1996 was the best time for those channels. They'd show anything. I remember they used to have certain days for films. Sundays from 10pm was always the horror place. I remember watching a big, long warning before "Hellraiser 2" started. I think that was the night Sky got fined for showing a totally uncut version of it. I remember the guy cutting himself and getting dragged around the bed a lot longer than any other release. Just keeps going on and on and on.

I also fondly remember the "Thursday Night Sex" section where they'd show such classics as "Young Lady Chatterley", "Black Emmanuelle", any early 90s Shannon Tweed shit. Robin Askwith films too. I felt so rebellious watching bloody "Confessions of a Window Cleaner" or "Confessions from the David Galaxy Affair". Them were the days. TalkingPictures showed a few Robin Askwith 70s softcores on there when they first started. I remember catching "Cool it Carol!" on there.

They'd always show good shit during the night on those channels. Once digital came along, this shit all stopped.

ADDED: Staying up to 3am to record "Meet the Feebles" too. Ah, memories.

Edited by bAzTNM#1