UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

A few notes.

- Dana said that they were looking to book Miocic vs. Jones.

- Frank Lester is claiming that Jones was set-up. I haven't heard Lester's name mentioned since 2009 when he was on TUF 9. 

- Cormier has stated that Jones is entitled to due process, and won't comment further until he knows exactly what happened. Very classy.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turinabol is the same steroid that Frank Mir popped for. Frank Mir’s agent is Malki Kawa, whose other clients include Jon Jones, Yoel Romero and Alistair Overeem.

As for why Jones would take such a huge risk and take steroids right before his first fight back after a failed drug test, which is stupidest thing in the world to do, just remember that Jones has had people enabling his reckless behaviour for years. Of course Jones is going to keep behaving recklessly when, any time he screws up, there are people to rush in and clean up his messes for him.

23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If this is the  end I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up dead in a few years.

I've never had any doubt that the story of Jon Jones is going to end tragically. The people around Jones let him do whatever he wants and are happy to clean up the mess he leaves behind just as long as the Jones gravy train keeps going. Jones has nobody around him who is willing or able to stop him from acting like a reckless idiot, and the law of averages says you can’t behave like that forever without things ending badly. At some point, Jones is going to mess up so badly that nobody will be able to clean it up.

3 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

If they change the result to a no contest, then he never lost the belt. 

As unfair as it may be, you can't just hand the title back to a guy who was seen on PPV in front of lots of people getting knocked silly. No contest or not, that's the lasting image of that fight.

They'll need to vacate and set up a fight between DC and someone for the title.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

As unfair as it may be, you can't just hand the title back to a guy who was seen on PPV in front of lots of people getting knocked silly. No contest or not, that's the lasting image of that fight.

They'll need to vacate and set up a fight between DC and someone for the title.

I sit somewhere in the middle personally. Whilst yes you have that image as you state, when it comes down to it the man who beat him had illegal substances (and performance enhancing ones no less) in his system whilst doing what he did.

It easy to look at it and say that the Jones we saw wouldn't have performed as he did if it were not for the said substance.

That said, I think Cormier will insist on winning the belt back, more likely in a fight against Gustafsson. 

Just now, lambyUK said:

I sit somewhere in the middle personally. Whilst yes you have that image as you state, when it comes down to it the man who beat him had illegal substances (and performance enhancing ones no less) in his system whilst doing what he did.

It easy to look at it and say that the Jones we saw wouldn't have performed as he did if it were not for the said substance.

That said, I think Cormier will insist on winning the belt back, more likely in a fight against Gustafsson. 

The thing is, it's a bit like a newspaper making a front page accusation against a celebrity, only to publish a one paragraph retraction a week later on page 25. People only remember the front page article, and very few even know about the retraction, even if they learn that the celebrity has been found innocent of whatever he or she were accused of.

Sure, they'll know that the title is vacated and Jones has been stripped, but most won't know the whole story. The majority will still remember DC as the guy who got knocked silly then cried after trying to fight the referee. They have to put him in there for the title against someone else. Pretending he never lost and carrying on with him as champion won't work.

• Paid Members

If the B sample comes back positive then his career in the US must be done. There's no way he wouldn't try and fight abroad and essentially get blacklisted by the NSAC for doing it. UFC are in this terrible situation now where they need to either keep Jones under contract for 4 years (probably less on appeal) to essentially stop him fighting anywhere else or fire him, releasing one of their biggest draws and best fighters to the highest bidder. It's not like they could even try and keep him in the spotlight on a series of TUF or something because he's blown any goodwill and redemption story they could try and spin. He'll be fighting Fedor on a New Years show at this rate.

• Paid Members

If you've checked out the Dana White media questions about it, you'll notice he's quite gutted about it. I think that's mostly due to the fact Jones may have just established himself as a legit big draw, with that last win, so UFC are now light of another star.

(Obviously, none of the following applies if it turns out there was a mistake/tainted supplement/B sample comes back clean)

What an absolute fucking moron Jon Jones is. He lost out on so much of his career to dumb mistakes, so much fame, glory, success, paydays... and he still hasn't learned his lesson. You'd think losing something as monumental as the UFC 200 main event would be a wake up call, but apparently not. How can you not realise you're going to be under a microscope after the shit with USADA last year. Astoundingly dumb and arrogant.

And it calls into question the legitimacy of his career, for me. Jon Jones' greatest enemy over the past couple of years has been USADA. Was he just able to skate by the lower level testing before? Starting to seem fishy to me that all these drug test failures are coming in from Jones once elite level testing comes into play.

God, I hope there's been some mistake. For all his fuck ups, I enjoy Jones as a fighter, and while I never really bought into the idea he was a totally reformed and changed man, I preferred the way he carried himself to "why don't you all like me? I'M A NICE GUY!" Daniel Cormier.

• Paid Members

I must admit, much as I detest the cunt, I like the idea of Jon "The Exile" Jones, fighting everywhere except the US, sort of like Bret Hart with dodgy piss.

Archived