UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

Wandshogun09 was right a few months ago. I did have too much faith in Jones's ability to not fuck up. I'm still gobsmacked though. By the way, Cormier has been handed back the title according to Sherdog and TMZ. Dana has said it is undecided. 

Edit: Jones's camp have released this statement:

We are all at a complete loss for words right now. Jon, his trainers, his nutritionists and his entire camp have worked tirelessly and meticulously the past 12 months to avoid this exact situation. We are having the samples tested again to determine the validity or source of contamination. Jon is crushed by this news and we are doing whatever we can as a team, to support him.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember who said it, but "the only person who can beat Jon Jones, is Jon Jones himself"

So, based on what I've read, if it's confirmed positive, he's looking at 4 years suspension under USADA guidelines. Can someone more knowledgeable than I confirm, the fight will be overturned to a No Contest, therefore DC gets the title back? Or will UFC consider the title vacant?

11 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

the fight will be overturned to a No Contest, therefore DC gets the title back? Or will UFC consider the title vacant?

If the samples are tested again, and no errors have been made; the fight will be ruled a no contest. It's up to the UFC to decide whether D.C gets the belt back, or whether they declare the title vacant. If they do declare it vacant, D.C will probably fight Gusty or Oezdemir to crown a "New" Champion.

I'm no fan of DC, but you have to feel for the guy. His first title reign was overshadowed by the fact he lost a decision to Jones, and now if he gets the title handed back to him it'll be forever blighted, rightly or wrongly, by the fact that Jones knocked him silly in their final bout. That's gonna hang over him regardless of what he does now.

They're gonna have to set up a fight between Cormier and Gusty possibly to determine a new champion, just handing the belt to a guy who got knocked out isn't really cricket, is it? Surely he should have to win it back in some form?

• Paid Members

There is a breaking news audio on the Wrestling Observer website with some interesting bits of information. The particular steriod is used when trying to cut weight and hold onto muscle, so among Bodybuilders/Powerlifters/Fighter etc during competition periods, rather than being an "off season" type of mass builder. It's detection period is around 6 weeks and it also reduces your T:E ratio to a very low level. Jones had a test around the time of the first Cormier fight that flagged up an abnormally low T:E ratio. Apparently this steriod is very rare among reputable labs in the West, and is most known for being used by East German athletes in the 70's.

• Paid Members

The most Jon Jones news ever. I know we shouldn't be surprised when he does something like this, but I was expecting him to punch a kid or something, not another PED violation.

Maybe DC had a point about how clean Jones has truly been throughout his career? For DC, though, it's the ghost that won't go away, and, as far as I'm concerned, this completely nullifies their last match, if it's proven Jones was taking something more than a dick pill.

What a tit.

I shouldn't be stunned, but I am. 

Can't believe we're going through this again.

Can't help but feel sorry for Cormier. Even if he gets his belt back, he's always going to have that cloud of Jones lingering over him, positive drugs test or not. The roller coaster of emotions Jones has taken him on these past few years must be exhausting for him. Can't even begin to imagine his state at the moment.

If Jones is found guilty, he deserves every single consequence coming his way. I wouldn't let him compete again. Never have I seen somebody with so much natural talent,so determined to piss it all away.

Archived