UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I haven't seen this event yet, and am intrigued by all the good reports, but I'm not sure I want to watch two of my faves, Barao and Woodley, being beaten comprehensively, and Jones winning. That said, I'm intrigued by Oezdemir. Being 3-0 in the UFC with wins over three relatively decent LHW names in such a short space of time is really impressive, and I'm glad it throws up a potential contender for the struggling 205 division.

I can't stand Race-Card, but Dana slagging him off for the boring fight is bullshit. Sure, it's no fun to watch, but this is a combat sport where wins mean more money, and holding the belt means even more money; it's not on Woodley to provide entertaining fights. It's on the exciting fighters to figure out a way to beat him, and until then, the annoying truth will have to be that boring styles trump exciting styles for effectiveness. I agree, however, it does mean that Woodley doesn't deserve exciting fights that, coincidentally, make money. It is on him to have entertaining fights if he wants that cheddar.

DC to HW would be good, and I agree with wand that I think a Werdum match-up would be interesting. Assuming the right Werdum shows up, however, I don't think DC comes out of it well; they're both good strikers, but I think Werdum's elite BJJ means DC's wrestling is nullified, as he won't want to take it to the ground.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Watch the Barnett fight, @Chunk. A really, really fucking good fight that's been largely forgotten. 

DC has this rep as a boring fighter and I can see why given his shitty fights with Anderson Silva and Frank Mir. But you look at his fights with Barnett, Bigfoot, Rumble x2, Jones x2 and especially Gustafsson and he's anything but boring. He's been way more good than bad, IMO. 

Dana's reaction to Woodley was yet another in his long list of ridiculous antics. In any other sport would you ever see a promoter, the guy who fronts the company that depends on these guys being popular and selling fights, shitting on their champion? It's absolutely mind blowing stuff.

I mean, honestly, who the fuck ever looks great beating Maia? Apart from the Rory MacDonald fight, the answer has been pretty much no one. Every fight he's lost bar one has been via decision, and has been pretty unremarkable.

Gutted for D.C. He exceeded my expectations in the first two rounds. At the very worst, the fight was even going into the 3rd. Then Jones came into his own, and scored what was probably the most impressive stoppage of his career. Submitting Rampage and Belfort is one thing, scoring a TKO over D.C is another. Jones is now in a league only shared by GSP, and he still hasn't reached his full potential. 

D.C back at Heavyweight would be interesting. The Heavyweight division would certainly benefit greatly from his involvement. Jones? I'd like to see him rematch Gusty. I believe that boxing is the way to beat Jones. He's one of the best all-round strikers in MMA, but his boxing has never been the strongest part of his game. It was something that was pointed out earlier in his career; although he has improved since then. To date, the most consistent success anyone has had against Jones is by drawing him into a boxing match (D.C 2nd fight, Gusty 1st fight). I think Gusty could be very competitive in the rematch. 

That being said, a lot of noise is being made about the Lesnar fight. Too much to make think it's just grandstanding. I think if that fight can be made - which is a big "if" - then that fight will be next. If it happen, I think Jones stops Lesnar pretty easily. 

1 minute ago, jimufctna24 said:

Jones? I'd like to see him rematch Gusty. I believe that boxing is the way to beat Jones. He's one of the best all-round strikers in MMA, but his boxing has never been the strongest part of his game. It was something that was pointed out earlier in his career; although he has improved since then. To date, the most consistent success anyone has had against Jones is by drawing him into a boxing match (D.C 2nd fight, Gusty 1st fight). I think Gusty could be very competitive in the rematch. 

I'd like to see Jones go against Volkan Oezdemir. As we saw on Saturday, Jones can be caught with shots, and it would be interesting to see if someone who hits hard could land one on him and cause him issues.

That's the very reason why I always hoped we'd see the Rumble/Jones fight. Would give Jones something different to think about.

• Paid Members

I've got hard nipples for a potential Gustafsson vs Oezdemir fight for some reason. Ever since I thought about the possibility of that one I've been fascinated by it. Obviously, either of them vs Jones makes more sense but it's one to think about down the road.

I think I'd give Gus the next crack. That rematch has been a long time coming. Remember, they were originally supposed to rematch back in 2014 but Gus got injured and then the Jones-Cormier rivalry really took off so Gus was out of the picture. It needs to happen. And as big a fan of Gus as I am, it seems like he's never far from getting derailed. Either by a loss or an injury. He's coming off a tremendous performance and finish over Glover Teixeira. Strike while the iron's hot and that. 

I'd whack Oezdemir on another big PPV in a featured position next. Maybe that MSG card. Who you put him in with is anyone's guess though. Maybe Shogun if he beats OSP in September? 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Watch the Barnett fight, @Chunk. A really, really fucking good fight that's been largely forgotten. 

DC has this rep as a boring fighter and I can see why given his shitty fights with Anderson Silva and Frank Mir. But you look at his fights with Barnett, Bigfoot, Rumble x2, Jones x2 and especially Gustafsson and he's anything but boring. He's been way more good than bad, IMO. 

Really? Anyone that comes out with that is clearly a bit of a tit, for all the examples you mentioned. Strikeforce and UFC, DC has been good value.
So long as age doesn't zap him of his super power, I fancy DC's chances at HW. I strongly dislike this narrative the UFC played up that DC needed to beat the potential GOAT, or he's some random bum. Losses to Jones aside, he's absolutely bossed MMA and, despite what happened last night, he's still P4P one of the very best fighters of all time, just not THE GOAT.

Anyway, in all the drama of yesterday, I forgot to mention a couple of things.

One being not a lot being made of Woodley repeatedly grabbing the fence to stop Maia. Herb gave him a strong warning in the first, but he did it after and nowt was done about it. I know it happens a lot, but there was definitely a couple of times where Maia was in a good position, only for Woodley to essentially cheat. If you're Maia, it must enhance the frustration. Woodley was smart, but Herb did a terrible job with that.

Finally, Cruz is the best colour guy in the game, to the point I let out a "yas" when I saw him at the start.. He's a lot more relaxed these days too, so it's all added up to him being essential now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it feels like every time DC fights there's people saying they find him boring or don't like his fighting style and so on. Fair enough, nobody is everybody's cup of tea. But I don't think he's boring at all. He's had a couple of shit fights but who in combat sports hasn't unless you're name is Arturo Gatti? Fuck, even Wanderlei Silva had a few stinkers. 

5 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

One being not a lot being made of Woodley repeatedly grabbing the fence to stop Maia. Herb gave him a strong warning in the first, but he did it after and nowt was done about it. I know it happens a lot, but there was definitely a couple of times where Maia was in a good position, only for Woodley to essentially cheat. If you're Maia, it must enhance the frustration. Woodley was smart, but Herb did a terrible job with that.

Referee's are far too lenient with this sort of thing. Whether it's grabbing the fence, poking the eyes, or kicking low, referee's seem reluctant to actually punish fighters. Fine, warn them the first time, even though by just warning the first time you're essentially telling fighters they have a free go at breaking the rules. But if they do it again after the warning, start taking points away or you're just blowing hot air by warning them over and over.

• Paid Members

Aye. It only added to the frustration of watching that fight, because Herb gave it that big "you grab the fence again, I'll take a point off you", then did absolutely nowt when Woodley did it after that. It made a huge difference too, because Maia is at his best when he's grinding you against that fence and Woodley clearly needed the balance in those situations.

• Paid Members

That reminds me of Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia. Dan Miragliotta was the ref that night and he was warning Anderson about his piss-taking and inactivity for ages before finally taking a point away in the 5th round. Who knows, if he'd taken a point earlier it might've given Anderson the lit match up the arse he needed. 

I think it was Frankie Edgar vs Urijah Faber as well where Faber kept grabbing the fence and got away with it. Refs really need to be on that stuff more. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

Aye. It only added to the frustration of watching that fight, because Herb gave it that big "you grab the fence again, I'll take a point off you", then did absolutely nowt when Woodley did it after that. It made a huge difference too, because Maia is at his best when he's grinding you against that fence and Woodley clearly needed the balance in those situations.

He's too nice to do it but Maia should pull the race card. Black ref letting a black fighter cheat etc. 

Archived