UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

Fuck me sideways what a fucking show that was! 

Oezdimir. What a fucking killer. To quote DC "you just beat Corey Anderson, sit down young man".  Exposed Manuwa as a myth who is only profiting from a weak division. Sorry to say. 

Lawler and Cerrone was fun to watch.  I actually had Cerrone up on the scoring - TBH I wouldn't have even been that far away from giving him all three rounds after that Rd1 takedown and top control for 2 mins or so. 

I had no problems with Woodley fighting the way he did.  I actually thought it was pretty majestic the way he made Maia look like a dud.  Guy was on a seven fight win streak and mullering cunts. 

For the main, well, well, what can you say? I don't think I've ever felt so bad for a fighter as I did for DC right there. Hopefully he can make peace with being 2nd to JJ and retire with his head held high.  He fought well until the KO - winning at least one round of the two - but even with the good shots he landed from the clinch he was never really troubling Jones you feel. Did the UFC just gain some momentum in 2017?  I think so.  

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, OzExile said:

Did the UFC just gain some momentum in 2017?  I think so.  

Yes, a win for Jones is undoubtedly better for business than if DC had retained. As both an athlete and a character he offers them a lot more going forward. No messing about waiting for another money fight either, with that Lesnar call-out. I do get the feeling with Conor boxing Mayweather and Brock potentially coming back to fight Jones, that the UFC is retreating in it's progress towards being accepted as a mainstream sport though. These are freakshow fights that draw closer comparisons to pro wrestling booking than to professional sports.   

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, OzExile said:

Exposed Manuwa as a myth who is only profiting from a weak division. Sorry to say. 

Fucking hell, man. That's way harsh. I said myself that Manuwa was probably only so close to a title shot because there weren't really any other interesting or fresh challengers around at the moment. But he's still a good fighter. Corey Anderson's a boring cunt but he's not an easy guy to beat and Manuwa put him to sleep quick. And OSP went 5 rounds with  Jon Jones, Manuwa KO'd him in 1. This loss doesn't tell us he's a myth. I think it tells us that Oezdemir is legit and someone who's really worth keeping an eye on going forward. 

Marc Raimondi told a cool little story about Oezdemir on MMA Fighting's post-fight show. Apparently he was all set to fight for Titan FC when he got the last minute UFC call up to fill in and fight OSP on stupidly short notice. And get this, he wasn't even going to be on the main card for Titan! He comes in, beats OSP on like 2 days notice, then KOs a Cirkunov (in seconds) who was getting some hype, then KOs a Manuwa (in seconds) who was on the cusp of a title shot.

He's gone from the Titan FC prelims to 3-0 in the UFC and possible #1 contender in about 5 months. How mad is that? 

• Paid Members

DC's released a statement; 

First off, thank you all for the kind words. I have felt the support. Congratulations to Jon Jones and his team. They did a phenomenal job and got the victory. Also, to Big John McCarthy, I would like to apologize for acting up with you. I am thankful for the time you gave me to try and defend myself and stay in the fight. You are the best in the business for a reason. I also wanna thank my team and my coaches. I love you all from the bottom of my heart. Your time and energy is greatly appreciated. You guys did a wonderful job, I was ready. It's a fist fight and things happen. Dana White and the UFC, thank you for being the premiere organization in all of MMA. Again, congrats to Team Jones and JacksonWink. Love you all. I'll see you soon.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fucking hell, man. That's way harsh. I said myself that Manuwa was probably only so close to a title shot because there weren't really any other interesting or fresh challengers around at the moment. But he's still a good fighter. Corey Anderson's a boring cunt but he's not an easy guy to beat and Manuwa put him to sleep quick. And OSP went 5 rounds with  Jon Jones, Manuwa KO'd him in 1. This loss doesn't tell us he's a myth. I think it tells us that Oezdemir is legit and someone who's really worth keeping an eye on going forward. 

Marc Raimondi told a cool little story about Oezdemir on MMA Fighting's post-fight show. Apparently he was all set to fight for Titan FC when he got the last minute UFC call up to fill in and fight OSP on stupidly short notice. And get this, he wasn't even going to be on the main card for Titan! He comes in, beats OSP on like 2 days notice, then KOs a Cirkunov (in seconds) who was getting some hype, then KOs a Manuwa (in seconds) who was on the cusp of a title shot.

He's gone from the Titan FC prelims to 3-0 in the UFC and possible #1 contender in about 5 months. How mad is that? 

Nah - Manuwa is shite. There's something inherently annoying about London loudmouths who think they're better than they are. Always nice when they get put in their place.

• Paid Members

I have to admit I'm with Herb here. I think he's shite too.

He's a powerful striker no question, his kicks are vicious in particular. But the guy plods around the octagon at fucking snails pace and has zero footwork or movement. His striking is ridiculously linear as well. I've never seen the guy put on a decent combo together. Everything is just kick stop, punch stop etc.

• Paid Members

No-one was saying this when he was winning though, were they? I think it's doing Oezdemir a disservice.

I'm not even saying Manuwa was some threat to the title. I always said he was basically a poor man's Rumble and he'd already kind of found his level. He'll lose to the likes of Gus and Rumble every time but I honestly think he beats most guys below that level. He's not great but saying he's shite is going too far in the other direction for me. 

Definitely got the sense he thought he was better than he was though. Even in his walkout you could practically taste the overconfidence. I like him but it kind of felt like he had that coming. 

I think it's safe to assume that nobody is going to be overlooking Oezdemir from here on out. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

No-one was saying this when he was winning though, were they? I think it's doing Oezdemir a disservice.

100% this. Manuwa handled who was put in front of him & had a decent run doing it, that's all that could've been asked of him.

He's not, nor likely ever will be an elite LHW but he's not shit, not even close. Shades of grey lads....it's a sliding scale.

• Paid Members
On 7/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, Chunk said:

Agree with this. Something seems different about Jones this time ... like he knows he can't fuck up yet again. The only question is lack of cage time but I wouldn't be shocked if DC doesn't see the championship rounds. 

Bosh.

The talk of DC moving up to HW seems mad to me. The obvious difference with Jones, in my opinion, was the height and reach disadvantage DC had. He couldn't close the distance effectively enough to use his biggest weapons - wrestling and striking in the clinch.

DC is 180cm tall with a reach of 72".

If you eliminate Cain (because DC would never fight him) and Hunt (because he's an exception to the norm at HW), the average height of the current top 10 HW fighters is 195cm and the average reach is 80". If DC moves up to HW, he's getting a repeat of the Jones fight every time he steps into the cage!

Think Manuwa is a victim of being a latecomer to the sport, as is almost always mentioned by the commentary team when he's making his walkout. Guy is 38, so he really is at the tail end of his career and technically speaking has always been playing catch-up. He seems relatively effective against less powerful strikers and has picked up some profile wins to be fair to him, however he has stumbled 3 times now against those who can hit with either more or similar power to him, in Oezdemir, Gusty & Rumble. And I'd make the argument, with the exception of Oezdemir, that Rumble and Gusty just aren't at the level of the top 2 in the division.  I've always had the opinion that Manuwa's movement seems clunky and slow, but he does have decent striking which has landed him where he was, really not sure where he goes from here though. There's some decent fight's for him up at heavyweight that he'd probably be better suited for, pace is a little slower up there too, however his chin isn't the best and could be put flat out on his arse just as quickly. - But we can put to bed the idea of winning a title/boxing David Haye now. 

• Paid Members

Chunk, did you ever see Cormier at heavyweight? He dominated everyone he fought. 

We're talking beasts here in Barnett, Big Foot (before he was shit), Frank Mir, and Roy Nelson. 

It's not the size of Jones that's the issue for Comier, it's the humongous reach advantage he had that he found difficult. No heavyweight has that reach Jones has and Cormier wouldn't have to cut weight, something that he struggles with.

His wrestling would be more of an advantage too at heavyweight as his height gives him advantage over the bigger guys when it comes to his wrestling. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, whatever DC gives up in size by going up to heavyweight, it kind of gets balanced out by him not having to cut weight, his speed advantage and the technique edge he has over most of the heavies. 

I'd be interested to see how he'd match up with Miocic. I'd favour Big Stipe but he's not one of the bigger heavyweights and it'd be the first time we'd be seeing him in with a superior wrestler. There's some good fights to be made with Cormier there, I think. I don't see him winning the title but I'd love to be wrong on that. 

• Paid Members

Of the current heavyweights (not including Cain), only Stipe for me has the game to match Cormier. I think Cormier at heavyweight as Wand says, is faster in the stand up than most, and he concentrates on his wrestling game a lot more as his energy levels aren't depleted. 

I think the likes of Overreem, Werdum, and JDS couldn't handle the variety Cormier brings at heavyweight. I don't know enough about Ngannu's takedown defence to make a guess with him.

The spanner in the works is Cain though as Cormier said in a pre fight interview to 214, he would only go up based on what Cain's plans were. 

• Paid Members

Oh, DC vs Werdum would be a VERY intriguing one actually. Assuming Werdum came in on his game. The standup could be interesting and I'm not sure if DC would be so comfortable taking Werdum down. 

Archived