UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, David - keep posting like that, and you'll get all your rep back (not that you care, nor should you). Agreed with everything you've said so far (except for the Fitch stuff). 

"This is a sport" is valid. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the UFC is indeed a business, but it's a business founded on being a sport. There's got to be some middle ground intersection between being both. If it's too much of a purist sport, it won't survive, and if it's too much of a business, it won't be seen as legitimate. 

I don't like Woodley. That's not a surprising opinion. But he is the current best in the world at what he does, at his weight. Fence-grabbing cheating aside, he beat Maia, simple. He makes more money doing so. If the UFC is a business, so are the fighters. They are their business, and their business is to make money by winning fights. If they can do it in entertaining fashion, that gets them a bonus, but it's not a guarantee, and if they feel being more entertaining is going to lose them fights and thus lose them money, they shouldn't be lambasted for winning ugly, and least of all by the promoter, whose fucking job it is to promote them.

What exactly does Dana gain from slagging them off, anyway? If there was some way in which criticising fighters on your roster might make money and generate more interest in your events, I'd understand, but I can't think of any way whatsoever a boss gets more eyeballs by going after a fighter that isn't pro-wrestling. He's not Vince McMahon.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

After seeing him doing that PPV hard sell at the end of the prelims a couple of times, my wife calls him '50 Shades Of Pink' or just 'Mr Pink' now. Never Dana. I don't even know if she knows his actual name. She doesn't say much when I'm watching UFC, but every single time '50 Shades' is on screen she comments on his pinkness and that he's heading for a heart attack like her Uncle Charlie. 

8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

"This is a sport" is valid. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the UFC is indeed a business, but it's a business founded on being a sport. There's got to be some middle ground intersection between being both. If it's too much of a purist sport, it won't survive, and if it's too much of a business, it won't be seen as legitimate. 

I don't like Woodley. That's not a surprising opinion. But he is the current best in the world at what he does, at his weight. Fence-grabbing cheating aside, he beat Maia, simple. He makes more money doing so. If the UFC is a business, so are the fighters. They are their business, and their business is to make money by winning fights. If they can do it in entertaining fashion, that gets them a bonus, but it's not a guarantee, and if they feel being more entertaining is going to lose them fights and thus lose them money, they shouldn't be lambasted for winning ugly, and least of all by the promoter, whose fucking job it is to promote them.

What exactly does Dana gain from slagging them off, anyway? If there was some way in which criticising fighters on your roster might make money and generate more interest in your events, I'd understand, but I can't think of any way whatsoever a boss gets more eyeballs by going after a fighter that isn't pro-wrestling. He's not Vince McMahon.

Absolutely spot on in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

After seeing him doing that PPV hard sell at the end of the prelims a couple of times, my wife calls him '50 Shades Of Pink' or just 'Mr Pink' now. Never Dana. I don't even know if she knows his actual name. She doesn't say much when I'm watching UFC, but every single time '50 Shades' is on screen she comments on his pinkness and that he's heading for a heart attack like her Uncle Charlie. 

My girlfriend calls Joe Rogan "Mr Muppet", not because of disagreeing with his views or calling the fight, as she has no real interest in either, but because she says he has the perfect voice for playing a Jim Henson creation.

Of course, now I see him in post fight interviews with his massive purple head and my mind sees something like this.

Lord.jpg

EDIT - Agree with Bombcar, David has been posting some brilliance in this thread

• Paid Members

i fully understand the thinking that Woodley winning cleanly and taking little damage is keeping him earning, but you also have to consider the money he's now losing out on by not getting the GSP fight. The money he would have made in that fight would be substantially more than anything he'll earn in his next title defence.

...and to make it clear, im not actually disagreeing with what most of you are saying here. The Dana White thing probably comes from frustration because Woodley is actively outspoken toward the UFC and wanting big paydays, i think Dana took the oppurtunity to throw it back in his face. Wrong practice? probably, but its how the guy operates.

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i fully understand the thinking that Woodley winning cleanly and taking little damage is keeping him earning, but you also have to consider the money he's now losing out on by not getting the GSP fight. The money he would have made in that fight would be substantially more than anything he'll earn in his next title defence.

...and to make it clear, im not actually disagreeing with what most of you are saying here. The Dana White thing probably comes from frustration because Woodley is actively outspoken toward the UFC and wanting big paydays, i think Dana took the oppurtunity to throw it back in his face. Wrong practice? probably, but its how the guy operates.

I actually agree with Ariel, and think that when Dana remarked before the event that he was meeting with GSP's people that the fight was never going to be Woodley's anyway. If Woodley had knocked out Maia we'd have likely gotten the "we'll see, it depends what GSP wants to do" type spiel after the fight.

If we're honest, GSP is playing it smart. He's got a chance to become a two-weight world champion by beating what is most likely the weakest middleweight champion we've seen in the division since Rich Franklin held the strap over ten years ago.

I honestly believe that GSP isn't wanting to face Woodley, and with good reason, the guy is a monster. He also won't put on the fake feud chat that Bisping likely will.

30 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, the fight to make for GSP is and always was the Bisping fight.

And to be honest, I don't blame Dana for that as I believe that GSP has been the one pushing for it. I do hold Dana responsible for all manner of arseholery over the weekend though, and the way he treats his company's champions is ridiculous.

In regards to Tyron Woodley claiming he tore his shoulder up and that's why he wasn't more aggressive (source: MMATorch.com):

-Despite claiming earlier this week that he tore his labrum early in his fight with Demian Maia, Tyron Woodley was only issued the minimum seven-day medical suspension by the California State Athletic Commission.

I didn't like his tactics, but making excuses about it just further sours me on him. Just say you had no interest in taking risks and don't give a fuck if the fans are entertained or not. I'd have more respect for him if he flat out said that instead of making shit up.

Archived