UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Fox Piss said:

On similar lines to Weidmans dad... Who is the pale ginger guy who trains Lawler and some ATT guys? He is up there in pound for pound "get myself on camera" people in the game. 

I thought he looked at Buffer's card, so when he raised his hands during the decision being announced, I thought he saw that Lawler got the nod.

• Paid Members

Yeah i saw that bit as well. He hung on to Buffer for a very long awkward time but Bruce carried on regardless. Then he positioned himself in camera view away from the rest off the trainers. I've noticed him a few times, always a favorite to watch.

What a performance from Jones. I like him but i'm never overly impressed with him inside the cage for some reason but that was a stand out performance were he showed he has more levels to his game. I honestly think i'd pick against him against top heavyweights though. Which is stupid on my part but will also make him a bigger draw due to the intrigue. 

What a freak off a frame. All arms and legs.

• Paid Members

This the guy you're thinking of @Fox Piss, on the far left? 

image.jpg

Wayne Hogenson is his name. He was Lawler's wrestling coach or team mate or something like that when Lawler was in school and they've been close mates ever since. Godparents to each others' kids as well apparently. 

• Paid Members

had DC winning the first two marginally based on landing the more damaging looking strikes but i felt Jones lulled him to sleep in round 3 before firing off that headkick. Jones' in cage IQ is off the charts, with DC reeling he even attempted a foot sweep, who else does shit like that? 

Overall i though Jones looked good but not great, he still utilizes his reach better than anyone else in the sport though and against someone he has advantage over he just must be a nightmare cause he constantly prods at you.

Anyone knocking DC for the post-fight stuff is a bit of a knob really, you cant judge a mans reaction after he's been knocked out and Rogan should never have stuck a microphone in front of his face.

I'll chime in a bit more tomorrow, but i was real glad Ortega/Moicano got FOTN, i thought they'd give it Lawler/Cerrone by default.

oh, and looking forward to reading Davids reaction to the Brock Lesnar call out.

3 hours ago, Adam Turner said:

I still disagree. Fighting defensively and intelligently shouldn't be something somebody is shamed for. If Dana thinks he is boring and doesn't want to promote him, then do it on the quiet.

Yeah someone pointed out that there is comparisons to Woodley and Mayweather in how they fight and that how Woodley fights could make him a box office draw as people will be desperate for someone to beat Woodley.

• Paid Members

I expected nothing less but Dana was being a right helmet at the press conference about Woodley vs Maia. Kept talking about how Woodley "could've got Maia out of there whenever he wanted" and stuff. I'm far from a Woodley fan but this is the guy who knocked out Robbie Lawler in like 2 minutes or something. And it's bullshit to Maia as well to play it off like he's some bum who Woodley should've walked through. Demian Maia of 2017 is a far cry from the Demian Maia of 2009 who got wiped out in seconds by Nate Marquardt. It was a terrible fight. Nobody is disputing that. And he did make some good points that a fight like that won't have people clamouring for Woodley's next fight. True. But fights don't always play out how you want. Dana knows this. Maia is a hard guy to look good against. I get Dana's gripe, I hated the fight myself but it's just the way it is sometimes. Styles make fights and sometimes those fights are cack.

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

DC looked an absolutely broken man at the end of all that. Poor bastard. Where does he go from here?

The heavyweight division or retirement. I don't see DC hanging around at light heavyweight when he clearly doesn't believe he can ever beat Jon Jones.

3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I expected nothing less but Dana was being a right helmet at the press conference about Woodley vs Maia.

It's great that Dana will speak his mind and not hold back, but when Dana is still worked up over something, he comes off so badly. He talks without thinking and does himself and the UFC no favours at all. I get that some people like Dana being all fired up like that, and it can be entertaining, but he completely lacks the capability to reign himself in and avoid coming off like a complete bell end. I really think the UFC should hire someone, someone level headed, to do the post-fight stuff instead of Dana. It would make everyone involved come off a lot more professional.

• Paid Members

I've no time for fans that boo fighters or chant 'boring' during the final round of a fight just because it didn't turn out to be a barn-burner. I have even less time for a promoter doing it. Woodley had a strategy, Maia had a strategy. They are both disciplined, skilled fighters so they stuck to their respective game plans.

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I've no time for fans that boo fighters or chant 'boring' during the final round of a fight just because it didn't turn out to be a barn-burner. I have even less time for a promoter doing it. Woodley had a strategy, Maia had a strategy. They are both disciplined, skilled fighters so they stuck to their respective game plans.

Exactly, and quite honestly it adds fuel to the David shaped fire about LEGIT SPORTS when you dominate like that and the fucking promoter takes the hump.  I know the two sports are different but entwined, but Woodley Maia totally reminded me of when Lennox Lewis schooled David Tua for 12 rounds.

• Paid Members

My problem with the Woodley approach was the lack of any output whatsoever from him.

His defense was superb, and stuffing 20 takedowns with the ease he did it was incredible. But, he barely landed a shot the final 3 rounds. 

In all honesty the final three rounds should have been a 10-10 in reality as neither of them deserved to win them.

Basically Woodley won that fight 1 round to nil.

Archived