UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Rumble can't speak highly enough of Volkan Oezdemir. 

"Nobody knows who he is. Nobody knows how hard he works. Nobody knows really how truly good he is, you know what I mean? Volkan might be slow, he might not look marketable and stuff but the boy has heart. He's tough. He's super tough. He was my main training partner for all of my fights over the last year, year and a half, and he took my shots and I didn't drop him. Like, I kicked him upside the head a couple of times and he didn't drop. Punched him square in his face and he didn't drop. Volkan is tough! People don't understand how tough he really is."

"He deserves it (a title shot) at this point. He deserves it. Gustafsson had two title shots, I had two title shots, they need some new blood in there. And Volkan is definitely making waves now. Especially after beating Jimi the way that he did. I knocked Jimi out in the second round, Volkan just did it in, what, 2 minutes? Something like that? He made ME look bad! Y'all don't understand how excited I am for Volkan right now."

• Paid Members

I really wouldn't be against a Oezdemir title shot. If the Jones/Lesnar fight can't happen in November (which seems to be the case), it's either gotta be Oezdemir or Gustaffsson. I'd take Gusty first choice for the history and how good the first fight was, but if Gusty isn't ready im all for No Time. Fresh blood at 205 is a bit of a rarity.

Few more thoughts...

* Cyborg/Evinger did nothing for me. If Cyborg had stepped on the gas you get the feeling she could have taken Evinger out at any point, it was a complete mismatch. Until Cyborg is given a worthy challenger im not really interested anymore, it's quite sad to see these hapless women fight someone who is just so much physically superior.

* Ortega/Moicano was money. Fantastic fight, both guys stood in the pocket and threw bombs all night. I always had Ortega down as a straight BJJ guy but the guy's got some legit standup skills and looks to have an iron chin, Ortega is going to be tough to beat. He's like Demian Maia with standup. I see him in title contention before the end of 2018. Moicano lost nothing in defeat either.

* Woodley/Maia...not really sure what else to add. It was just a horrible clash of styles. You can't really blame Woodley for the performance, it comes with the territory of fighting someone like Maia. I have a lot of respect for what Maia's able to achieve in the cage but i'd be happy never to see him completely drown someone on the ground again.. Woodley is having one of the weirdest title runs in UFC history.

* Dominic Cruz was great on commentary too as others have stated. I love that he reels Rogan's bullshit in, a couple of times Rogan tried to go off on a weird tangeant as he tends to do and Cruz just shut him down, good stuff.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I always had Ortega down as a straight BJJ guy but the guy's got some legit standup skills and looks to have an iron chin, Ortega is going to be tough to beat. He's like Demian Maia with standup.

He's great, isn't he? I think he's more like an updated Nick Diaz. Slick grappling, effective volume striking, chin for days. The full on Nick Diaz v.2. And with better hair. He's even got that laid back stoner charisma to him. Kind of like a cross between Diaz and how RVD was in ECW.

He's been one of my favourites to watch for a while now. All his UFC fights so far have been really entertaining. Definitely more than a BJJ guy. He finished Clay Guida with strikes not long ago, and also stopped Thiago Tavares in an absolute blinder of a fight. Seriously, Ortega vs Tavares is a forgotten gem. 

Didn't Maia do the exact same in his title fight against Anderson Silva, just put all of his hope in getting a takedown for 5 rounds? 

Besides does defending takedowns for 5 rounds win you a fight a fight nowadays? Woodley didn't exactly do much to win rounds, I'd say Maia was the aggressor considering Woodley was defending all fight.

But yea shit fight and the welterweight division needs Lawler back on top.

11 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Didn't Maia do the exact same in his title fight against Anderson Silva, just put all of his hope in getting a takedown for 5 rounds? 

Besides does defending takedowns for 5 rounds win you a fight a fight nowadays? Woodley didn't exactly do much to win rounds, I'd say Maia was the aggressor considering Woodley was defending all fight.

But yea shit fight and the welterweight division needs Lawler back on top.

Woodley was sharper on the feet by a long shot. Maia was pressing the action, but that in itself isn't enough to win the fight.

• Paid Members

Woodley was just on the MMA Hour and claims he tore his labrum during the fight, which is his excuse for his lack of striking. Out of interest, did he mention his shoulder at any time during the post-fight presser?

Woodley also demanded a public apology from Dana, or he'll "leak" somethings the UFC apparently don't want out there.

He also said some right rubbish on top of it. Like Lawler hasn't done enough to earn a title shot wtc.

9 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Out of interest, did he mention his shoulder at any time during the post-fight presser?

I don't believe he did. I think this is the first public mention of an injury being the reason that Woodley fought the way he did.

10 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Woodley also demanded a public apology from Dana, or he'll "leak" somethings the UFC apparently don't want out there.

Making demands and threats towards Dana White doesn't exactly seem like the smartest thing to do.

15 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

He also said some right rubbish on top of it. Like Lawler hasn't done enough to earn a title shot wtc.

Woodley needs to let someone else do his talking for him. He almost always comes off badly, like someone with minimal self-awareness.

• Paid Members

On the flipside, I have to grudgingly admit that I actually thought Jon Jones came off well at the post-fight presser. 

Still not buying it though. He's done this before and it never lasts. He's like an abusive partner who says all the things you want to hear so you keep taking them back. It never lasts. 

33 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Woodley was just on the MMA Hour and claims he tore his labrum during the fight, which is his excuse for his lack of striking. Out of interest, did he mention his shoulder at any time during the post-fight presser?

He did actually, yeah. He went into a fair bit of detail on it, saying it's related to an injury he's had before. Something slipping in his shoulder. 50 minutes in.

Becky Lynch (or Miss Balboa) & Cyborg have been talking about having a match at Summer Slam on twitter (Cyborg is clearly in on it, so Becky doesn't have to worry about running into her and getting slapped about for real), they could probably work an angle but I doubt they could have a match without one looking bad. 

Becky isn't doing much right now and isn't on the Summerslam card but I'm guessing she will face a heel Charlotte come Mania and they could use Cyborg as her back up if Charlotte gets another lacky or two and it gets Cyborgs name out there as she probably won't lose a fight for a couple of years.

Even the MMA snobs will probably be won over by Becky's goofy persona and wouldn't shit on it.

Archived