General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

No, that was a big shock. It's still very hard to measure him up, he's a much bigger risk than Emery is for us and even a bigger risk than when they appointed FSW.

I bet you're bloody chuffed, aren't you?

It's a weird appointment altogether. It's not like he has a good record at club level. Then again, they appointed Jaunde Ramos after he led Spurs to the bottom of the table, so it's not like they're beyond appointments that don't seem to make a lot of sense. It does feel like something of a placeholder appointment - get him in for two or three seasons and if he does well, great. If he doesn't, and Poch is still highly regarded (having, hopefully, won stuff with Spurs) they can then probably get him.

I'm also setting myself up for disappointment on the Bale front because Lopetegui loves Isco and has previously called Bale lazy. Given that we have also raised our wage ceiling to 200k plus hefty bonuses, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that we could bring Bale back to Spurs. I still reckon he will go to United but I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?

I really do think there's a chance Bale returns to Spurs, you know. He's always been very family-oriented and I could just about see him deciding to return to the Premier League to triumphantly deliver first place to the new White Hart Lane.

Not sure his agent would agree, mind.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@PunkStep cannot wait to quote that with a gif of him BANGING the winner past you this season :)

We can afford him, but he deserves bigger and better than us and he'll go to a club bigger and better than us

He's at the biggest and best club in the world right now, having won three Champions League medals among other, numerous honours. Going anywhere else, even to United at this point, is a step down. Of course United are bigger than us, but I'm not sure if that's the only consideration for him. Clearly, it's all about game time for him if we judge him by his comment post-Champions League final. In terms of money, the guy and his family are set for generations if he's even been only slightly smart with his money.

Again, I think it's unlikely. As PunkStep says, a player in their late 20s with a questionable track record with injuries and little sell on value isn't Levy's usual bag, we have massive stadium loans to service and we are likely to be already increasing our wage budget significantly with new deals for Dele, Eriksen, Lloris and Kane, among others. But Poch did say we had to be brave and take risks.

2 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

To think, if Steve Cunting Morgan hadn't dragged his heels over Fosun buying Wolves, Lopetegui was all signed up and ready to take the job as Wolves manager.

Lopetegui will be gutted when he looks back. 

29 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Premier league opening fixtures-  August 11/12: 

Does this mean it's time to start a 2018-19 thread?

What I take from the fixtures is that the Premier League season is going to finish a week earlier than expected, with an extra midweek round added instead where FA Cup replays used to be. And yes, I realise logistics won't be anybody else's priority just yet.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fog Dude said:

What I take from the fixtures is that the Premier League season is going to finish a week earlier than expected, with an extra midweek round added instead where FA Cup replays used to be. And yes, I realise logistics won't be anybody else's priority just yet.

I find that strange. Why finish the season a week earlier for 2019, when there isn't a major tournament? A better idea would be to remove one of the many rounds of fixtures during late Dec/early Jan, where the congestion of games starts to get a bit silly, but oh no- they won't do that because of TV.

That's why I'm not in agreement with how they are incorporating the winter break the season after next. I think they've missed the purpose- it's the congestion of games in Dec/Jan that I think is the main problem, a break in February might not give them the full benefit they are hoping for.

10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I find that strange. Why finish the season a week earlier for 2019, when there isn't a major tournament? A better idea would be to remove one of the many rounds of fixtures during late Dec/early Jan, where the congestion of games starts to get a bit silly, but oh no- they won't do that because of TV.

That's why I'm not in agreement with how they are incorporating the winter break the season after next. I think they've missed the purpose- it's the congestion of games in Dec/Jan that I think is the main problem, a break in February might not give them the full benefit they are hoping for.

I'm glad someone else agrees. In 61 days in December and January, there are 11 matchdays (including 4 of the 5 full midweek programmes), 2 rounds of the FA Cup and 2 rounds of the Carabao, one of which is still two-legged. That's a ridiculously punishing schedule if the weather even holds up. Goodness knows what they'd have done if Liverpool had actually won the Champions League and had to squeeze the Club World Cup into the middle of all that. The staggered break in February won't help at all. The only other tiny respite involves scrapping extra time in the League Cup.

With the recent Amazon rights deal it seems Boxing Day fixtures are here to stay, except presumably in the season when we have a winter World Cup in Qatar. There is the new 'Nations League' final this summer, but that's hardly a big enough reason to finish the league season 20 days before the Champions League final. 

• Paid Members

No mention from @Teedy Kay on Wolves confirming the Rui Patricio signing...he must still be celebrating. It's a hell of a coup for them, the dodgy Mendes-meddling fuckers. Will be interesting to see where the others end up. Hoping for Martins to Arsenal, but we'll see. I'd love Big Will, but it seems we're set on Torreira for that position instead- which could be done this week.

We're set to announce the signing of Bernd Leno (ahhh, that famous Royksopp song) very soon, which is very good news. Pleased with our business so far, even more so after seeing how much of a bastard Lichtsteiner can be during the Brazil game. We need a bastard. I'm also happy with Xhaka getting a new contract, I think he can thrive under the right coach.

Archived