General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

I would like to see Arsenal play with two strikers. I think both Aubameyang & Lacazette would cause all sorts of problems between the movement/pace. I'm not really sure Lacazette is a striker who can play up top alone. 

It would mean a change in formation and should work against most teams in the league, especially at home. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Laca hasn't really played as part of a two-man strike force, he's been the focal/central point in a 4-3-3 at Lyon.

I've thought about us playing with two up top and think if we do that we either severely lack width and leave Bellerin & Monreal exposed, or we waste Ozil and Mkhi's talents if we push them out wide (and leave ourselves open in the middle somewhat). But hey, we might as well try it out, after all it worked for the best team Wenger ever assembled 14+ years ago.

• Paid Members

I went to my second ever premiership game today - Spurs v Arsenal at Wembley. I feel a bit guilty that experiences like this are a bit lost on me though. I’m now way more knowledgable about Spurs since I asked for tips a few months ago but still feel like a bit of a fraud. I was working before the match (I work for a charity) so I was going around some of the lounges with a collection bucket and Micky Hazard. He was lost on me even though I looked him up.

In one of the lounges I saw some bloke with a few people buzzing around him asking for photos so I thought it’s be a good PR thing for the charity if I had a photo. Again, he was completely lost on me until I got to the pub later and was told the blood was Pat Jennings. Apparently, this is like standing next to Michael Schumacher and not knowing who is was or something...

I loved the game even if I was busy working through most of it and even missed the goal as I was on the phone doing crisis management. I wish I could go to more games and learn more though.  I just find it easier to get enthusiastic about it when i’m actually rather than watching on TV.

• Paid Members

My favourite bit of trivia about Pat Jennings is that he scored from a goal kick, against Alex Stepney. Don't know if he's the only one to ever do it, but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

11 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Laca hasn't really played as part of a two-man strike force, he's been the focal/central point in a 4-3-3 at Lyon.

I've thought about us playing with two up top and think if we do that we either severely lack width and leave Bellerin & Monreal exposed, or we waste Ozil and Mkhi's talents if we push them out wide (and leave ourselves open in the middle somewhat). But hey, we might as well try it out, after all it worked for the best team Wenger ever assembled 14+ years ago.

I reckon we've got nothing to lose, so against a lot of teams I'd go with Aubameyang up top with Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Lacazette just behind, all changing between left/right/centre (even though none of them are tracking back a whole lot). It'd be a 4-2-4 with the holding midfielders have to do a lot of work but it's not like we're doing well with other formations.

25 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

My favourite bit of trivia about Pat Jennings is that he scored from a goal kick, against Alex Stepney. Don't know if he's the only one to ever do it, but I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

This isn't completely unheard of. Tim Howard did it for Everton about 6 or 7 years ago. Against Bolton IIRC. I'm sure there are other Prem-era examples too.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Pinc said:

This isn't completely unheard of. Tim Howard did it for Everton about 6 or 7 years ago. Against Bolton IIRC. I'm sure there are other Prem-era examples too.

Fair enough. As I've said before, I didn't follow football too much during the 2000s and early 2010s, so I haven't caught too much of the quirky incidents during that time.

I do like the quirky goals, though. I always remember that one someone (I think Collymore) scored against Tim Flowers back in the 90s, sending a half-hearted, ground-hugging shot which he would've got easily, and as he crouched to scoop it up, it hit a divot and went over him into the net.

2 hours ago, Twatters said:

I reckon we've got nothing to lose, so against a lot of teams I'd go with Aubameyang up top with Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Lacazette just behind, all changing between left/right/centre (even though none of them are tracking back a whole lot). It'd be a 4-2-4 with the holding midfielders have to do a lot of work but it's not like we're doing well with other formations.

Nah in that scenario you want Lacazette as close to goal as possble. You'd want to create the same dynamic as Liverpool when we had Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho in the same team. No width needed just really creative fluid forwards and a couple of great finishers.

Archived