General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

If PSG win the league and Champions League then it'd be crazy to sack off Emery. That's why I don't understand people saying Mourinho is lining himself up for PSG because if they do the double and he finishes 2-4 In the league how do they justify swapping managers for him.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Really? Ancelotti would make a better fist of it now. Mourinho has his card marked. Mourinho isn't known for slowly building successful teams. If he hasn't won the league in his first two seasons then the players will have downed tools by the third.

The players need someone to play for now. They never played for Moyes or LVG and eventually they'll stop playing for Mourinho. 

Mourinho is flawed, of course, but he's done a brilliant job at United. He's a bit unfortunate his second season arrived at the exact same time City decided to throw all that money at their team. Realistically, I don't think many other managers would be doing much better. I'm worried because of that. IMO, the players are downing tools because they've not got a chance of the league now. Obviously Mourinho needs to sort that out, but it's on the player as well. Jose has done some great work with some players that were considered jokes 18 months ago.

I like Ancelotti, but he could quite easily not reach Jose's standards. This month hasn't been great, but overall Jose has done a good job.

• Paid Members

I'm not won over by Mourinho at all.

I still think, tactically, he has been mostly to blame for us being so far behind City. The set-up against any team that would have a really good chance at beating us is incredibly negative and self-defeating. The Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and first half against City were utterly ridiculous. We shouldn't fear playing against those first three and as for City, your best way of beating them is to try and beat them and do your best defensively. Of course, it doesn't help if all of a sudden you develop an inexplicable inability to defend crosses.

I think his transfer market dealings have been mixed. Spending £70 million on a striker who basically scores goals (after three chances) and contributes nothing else overall is madness. So many good strikers around and we go all in for Lukaku. Lindelof was a similarly strange one in that there are so many good centre backs around and yet he's unproven from a poor league, he hasn't looked slightly convincing so far. Matic, fair enough, although his performances have waned over the last few weeks.

But also he has this weird habit of putting players in almost like he's wanting them to be shit so he has an excuse to get rid of them. Mkhitaryan yesterday was a classic example of that, Shaw has felt like that on the odd occasion we see him. I still don't think he really likes Martial and he's waiting for that one bad performance so he can leave him out for three months and then ship him off to Inter or somewhere.

I also disagree he should be given credit for the rise in quality of Valencia and Young because they, for all his faults, were actually on the up-slope under van Gaal. It was when he put Young in that left wing-back slot during that ill-advised period when he played three at the back that Young suddenly started to put a shift in and realise that this could be where he saved his United career. He's been superb. Valencia was a similar case although he actually was first tried at right back under Ferguson. But his ascension into one of the best right-backs around has been a steady one rather than a Mourinho creation. 

I don't really care about all the chat and moaning because he's always been like that and I still find it entertaining, plus there is the upside that United have actually resembled an entertaining team at various points in the opening half of the season, unless he's shit himself because we're playing someone good. 

The fact is that we've spent almost as much as City and we'll probably be over 30 points behind them at the end of the season. That's not actually progress, that's a backwards slide.

The players aren't downing tools because they know they can't catch City. Their heads will be fucked because Mourinho is such a fucking weirdo. Fucking around with people like Schweinsteiger may be ok in isolation but once he's been their long enough to have worked his way around the sqaud none of the players know if they're coming or going and there can't be any trust because he's throwing people under the bus and publicly calling out his own players. Why run through a brick wall for a dick head like that?

He is entertaining though.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Do you think he'd go back there?

Just putting 2 and 2 together with the constant rumours that PSG will ditch Emery. There aren't many managers that they'd let him go to bring in. Realistically, only Ancelotti and Mourinho. And that's dependent on Jose finishing up at United.

Great post ^^^, Devon.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm not won over by Mourinho at all.

I still think, tactically, he has been mostly to blame for us being so far behind City. The set-up against any team that would have a really good chance at beating us is incredibly negative and self-defeating. The Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and first half against City were utterly ridiculous. We shouldn't fear playing against those first three and as for City, your best way of beating them is to try and beat them and do your best defensively. Of course, it doesn't help if all of a sudden you develop an inexplicable inability to defend crosses.

I think his transfer market dealings have been mixed. Spending £70 million on a striker who basically scores goals (after three chances) and contributes nothing else overall is madness. So many good strikers around and we go all in for Lukaku. Lindelof was a similarly strange one in that there are so many good centre backs around and yet he's unproven from a poor league, he hasn't looked slightly convincing so far. Matic, fair enough, although his performances have waned over the last few weeks.

But also he has this weird habit of putting players in almost like he's wanting them to be shit so he has an excuse to get rid of them. Mkhitaryan yesterday was a classic example of that, Shaw has felt like that on the odd occasion we see him. I still don't think he really likes Martial and he's waiting for that one bad performance so he can leave him out for three months and then ship him off to Inter or somewhere.

I also disagree he should be given credit for the rise in quality of Valencia and Young because they, for all his faults, were actually on the up-slope under van Gaal. It was when he put Young in that left wing-back slot during that ill-advised period when he played three at the back that Young suddenly started to put a shift in and realise that this could be where he saved his United career. He's been superb. Valencia was a similar case although he actually was first tried at right back under Ferguson. But his ascension into one of the best right-backs around has been a steady one rather than a Mourinho creation. 

I don't really care about all the chat and moaning because he's always been like that and I still find it entertaining, plus there is the upside that United have actually resembled an entertaining team at various points in the opening half of the season, unless he's shit himself because we're playing someone good. 

The fact is that we've spent almost as much as City and we'll probably be over 30 points behind them at the end of the season. That's not actually progress, that's a backwards slide.

I agree with some of your second paragraph.

However, you're being a little harsh on Lukaku. He's had two seasons with Everton where he's scored 25 goals or over - last season 25 in the Premier League. Obviously, Mourinho wanted Morata and Greizmann, but those options fell apart for a number of reasons. Lukaku does need service, but United needed a goal scorer badly and they decided on a player that scored 25 PL goals last season. Not a terrible option at all. Out of interest who else would you go for, considering the first two targets didn't pan out?
In fairness to Lindelof, while unproven, he's a fancied prospect - aye, he's been mostly shite, but he's only 23 and clearly getting to grips with the PL. Obviously, we all would have preferred an experienced head in there, but Lindelof was bought with the next 10 years in mind, even if Jose makes it through one more.

Other Mourinho signings, like Pogba, Bailly and Zlatan were/are good buys. Obviously it's a shame Zlatan's knee exploded, but he did the job that first year. Signing Pogba is hardly a great find, but Jose apparently insisted on his signing and he's been very good, for the most part.

I wasn't crediting him with the rise of Valencia at all, he's been one of United's best player even when the rest of the team has went to shit. It's surely no coincidence Young has experienced his best form in years under Mourinho - credit to Young and Jose. Mourinho also somehow managed to turn the likes of Rojo into a solid CB, when he can remain fit, which never looked like happening.

Also, United spent £169M to City's £217M, with Chelsea spending £200M to get where they are. I disagree about the backward slide too. Let's not forget United didn't even scrape into the top 4 last season, relying on a (heroic) Europa League win for the CL place.. The current situation isn't ideal, but only if United proper bugger this up and drop out of the top 4 can you call it a backwards slide. Realistically, how many teams in PL history have been as good/dominant as this City side? Obviously United should be trying to attain that standard, but it's not so easy.

Unless Jose truly loses it, I think he's doing a good job. A shit load better than the dross we've all experienced post-Fergie.

52 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The players aren't downing tools because they know they can't catch City. Their heads will be fucked because Mourinho is such a fucking weirdo. Fucking around with people like Schweinsteiger may be ok in isolation but once he's been their long enough to have worked his way around the sqaud none of the players know if they're coming or going and there can't be any trust because he's throwing people under the bus and publicly calling out his own players. Why run through a brick wall for a dick head like that?

He is entertaining though.

Maybe, but the downturn in form is surely not coincidental, seeing as it coincided with City beating United and opening the gap. Again, maybe.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Also, United spent £169M, with Chelsea spending £200M to get where they are.

People blaming City being above United based on money is bad enough. Doing it for a team that's spent considerably less net during Mourinho's time at United (and a good few years beforehand) is ridiculous.

• Paid Members

I see BarCa have found an innovative new way of tapping up players. Get your kit manufacturer to include a player that you're pursuing on their website under the kit personalisation page!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42527428

Yeah, there's no way that was an accident or a rogue member of the web staff, the shady wankers.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

People blaming City being above United based on money is bad enough. Doing it for a team that's spent considerably less net during Mourinho's time at United (and a good few years beforehand) is ridiculous.

I'm aware, but that wasn't really my point. Devon typed both clubs spent about the same, but £40M+ is a decent difference. I've typed on a previous page that Guardiola's success is clearly a combination of great management and investment. It's an important double act.

Whether you think it has made a mockery of Mourinho's time at United, fair enough, but I think Devon and co are being well harsh.

Archived