General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Pulis to Boro is an interesting one. He's not one of these managers with a load of Championship promotions on his CV, just the one with Stoke in 07/08 I think. He's become a relegation firefighter since and has been good at it (WBA should hire him) but this is a different challenge. Boro have an outstanding squad man for man but it's hard to see his 1-0 approach working for them. Be interesting viewing though.

Please with City since Nigel Adkins toook over. We were better than Leeds on Saturday but couldn't score and gifted them a goal and we were better than Derby yesterday who are in great form. We missed three sitters and McGregor only had comfortable saves to make. Signs of progress. Although still few points which is what matters.

Cracking MOTD last night. Coutinho's goal was wonderful. The Defour free kick was sublime too. That Bournemouth/West Ham game was mad. Begovic with a dreadful slip for one of the goals. No idea waht they were playing at with the Bournemouth equaliser though. Presumably came to the conclusion that Wilson didn't touch the ball even though he did. Favourite bit was that Azpilacueta cross though. Absolutely stunning ball on a plate for Morata.

The Harry Kane love-in is a bit sickening. I like him a lot and he's top class but football at the top end is about winning stuff. For all the plaudits about goals (in a calendar year which is a bollocks stat anyway) and comparisons to Messi and Ronaldo, they win trophies. Kane is ace but a cupboard full of match balls isn't what he'll want to look back on one day. He needs to be thinking about a  move now and whether he can go and score these goals playing for a Juventus or Barcelona.

Ronaldo - By 24.5 years old

Premier League x 3
FA Cup
League Cup x 2
Champions League
World Club Cup
World Player of the year
Ballon d'Or
PL Golden Boot

Messi - By 24.5 years old

La Liga x 5
Copa del Rey
Champions League x 3
Super Cup x 2
World Club Cup x 2
U20 World Cup
Ballon d'Or x 3
World Player of the year
La Liga top scorer

Kane - by 24.5 years old

PL Golden Boot x 2
League Cup runner-up

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@tiger_rick To make a comparison between a player playing for Spurs, and two of the best of all time who played for Man United and Barcelona up until the same age is a bit unnecessary. Obviously what those two achieved by the same age is phenomenal. You could probably say that Phil Neville won more by the age of 24.5 (Adrian Mole style)

He needs to be thinking about a move now? Really? When we're just about to go into a 62,000 stadium that, as a product of the academy, he has probably heard about for the last ten years. Call me naive or foolish, and I'm not saying it's not important, but Kane GENUINELY loves the club. He has been instrumental in getting Spurs to the overachieving positions of the last two seasons and I do think he'll want to step out into that stadium to play for the club he's been with since such an early age.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he is on the level of Messi or Ronaldo (He's better than Cavani though ftw), and it is an incredible feat.The media will always go nuts over this kind of thing and the piss that Kane boils on Twitter is an absolute thing of beauty.

Will Spurs win the league this year? No

Will Spurs win the league next year? No

Will Kane one day leave and break my heart? Probably. But until he does, there is absolutely no point anyone saying "Oh he NEEDS to go to Madrid or Juventus" because it's a completely irrelevant point. Weird how the media are obsessed with talking about Spurs players having to move away from the club isn't it?

On another note, Alli was superb yesterday. Really intelligent display.

Kane reminds me of Totti in that he appears to be a one club man/legend who we will all look back on as being a top player but without much to really show for it in a decent team that might win one or two trophies.

Totti did win one league title and a couple of cups (including World Cup) though but thats about it as far as trophies go during his 20+ years at Roma. Lots of individual awards though. He was a class player who could have won so much more. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

@tiger_rick To make a comparison between a player playing for Spurs, and two of the best of all time who played for Man United and Barcelona up until the same age is a bit unnecessary. Obviously what those two achieved by the same age is phenomenal. You could probably say that Phil Neville won more by the age of 24.5 (Adrian Mole style)

He needs to be thinking about a move now? Really?

I should have made it clear, I'm comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo based off the daft graphics that are floating around and all over MOTD. It's not a knock on Kane at all. It's purely for a very obvious comparison.

Second part, yes he needs to move. He's about to enter his peak years and he needs to be playing for a team that wins trophies. I don't believe he will, I think he'll be loyal to Spurs and he'll want to take them into that new stadium but it will be a mistake. He still might give Spurs another couple of years and then make the big move but it's all ifs. He could go now and he's going to get years at a really big club and the opportunity to win the biggest trophies. And that's what its all about.

I'm not knocking Kane because I'm saying he should go now to a Barcelona, Real, Bayern or Juve because he's good enough. And he'll get even better there.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Kane - by 24.5 years old

PL Golden Boot x 2
League Cup runner-up

Rick, you forgot two major honors:

Put the pressure on x 2

And Bacon, you keep talking about his loyalty and I'll have to post that picture of him celebrating Arsenal's 2004 league title win again! Kidding aside, I do think he's loyal, but nowhere near to the extent of the Gary Nevilles and Steven Gerrards of this world because he didn't grow up as a Spurs fan. Then again, Jamie Carragher was the same. I think he'll move if the right opportunity comes along. A move to Real Madrid next summer, who will be desperate to rebuild, wouldn't surprise me. Time to dig out the old hashtag for that one!

@tiger_rick I do agree to a certain extent with what you've said. If I take off the Spurs blinkers, of course he should move to a bigger club. In all honesty, I see all of our 'big' players playing for 1 year in the new stadium before doing one.

@PunkStep get over it babe... Jermain Defoe was a lifelong Gooner and he always loved scoring against you :)

It's weird when it comes to football as I can't ever imagine myself playing for Arsenal, but as you mention Carragher, Gerrard, Mcmanaman, I guess they all start supporting the club they then play for over their childhood team?

Anyway, Kane's achievement is superb, and Shearer has been very gracious about his record being broken. I'm sure, ego aside, people like seeing their records broken.

• Paid Members

At least Kane scoring most goals in a year is less stupid than that twaddle being trotted our earlier in the year that 'Spurs have scored the most points over the past two seasons', like that means anything.

Bacon, Terry is another one who changed the club they suppoted by playing for someone else. Was a United fan as a youngster.

I would love to see Kane at Madrid. Think he would score offensive amounts when facing off against some of the tripe floating around the bottom of La Liga. 

• Paid Members

I would laugh, but it's depressingly true.

Well, normally it is. I'm quietly optimistic about this current squad. A kind World Cup group and one of the easier 2nd round ties if we get there should give the younger players some fantastic experience and confidence to help them for later tournaments. Is Southgate definitely going with two up top? If so, you'd imagine either Rashford or Sterling will miss out on a starting berth, which would be a shame. That said, I wonder how Sterling would fare at the moment without all those class City players surrounding him.

10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I would laugh, but it's depressingly true.

Well, normally it is. I'm quietly optimistic about this current squad. A kind World Cup group and one of the easier 2nd round ties if we get there should give the younger players some fantastic experience and confidence to help them for later tournaments. Is Southgate definitely going with two up top? If so, you'd imagine either Rashford or Sterling will miss out on a starting berth, which would be a shame. That said, I wonder how Sterling would fare at the moment without all those class City players surrounding him.

We will find out in 6 months time :)

Who will England potentially face in Round 2 then?

Man United should throw every none debt servicing penny they have at Bale and Kane. As well as being the ultimate fuck you to Spurs I reckon they're the perfect players to turn Mourinhos ailing fortunes around. Won' be able to cry about lack of money though.

• Paid Members

I will never really understand the argument that Kane (and players like him) should leave Spurs to win trophies. Isn't it far more impressive for, say, Kane to win (for example) the league or Champions League with Tottenham than it is for him to win it with a Madrid or other team that's going to win those things with or without him? 

There is the argument that Spurs won't win anything, so he has to leave, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that with any certainty right now. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I will never really understand the argument that Kane (and players like him) should leave Spurs to win trophies. Isn't it far more impressive for, say, Kane to win (for example) the league or Champions League with Tottenham than it is for him to win it with a Madrid or other team that's going to win those things with or without him? 

There is the argument that Spurs won't win anything, so he has to leave, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that with any certainty right now. 

This last couple of years has been the best Spurs team that I can remember both in terms of style and substance. But other than a couple of weeks were it looked like Leicester might wobble in 2016, I can't say they've looked like winning anything. Something has to change to alter that and I don't see it. We're seeing one of if not the best teams the PL has ever had this year run away with it so that's hard to judge anyone on but in relative terms, Spurs have regressed. They need to invest heavily in the current squad and in signings to close that gap and it's not likely with the way the club is run. If they go through a period like Arsenal of balancing the books to pay for the stadium then I really don't see Levy's approach changing.

No-one can say they won't win trophies but I think the chances of them winning the big trophies are next to nil. Spurs could win cups but that's been true every year and they rarely have. If Kane wants to guarantee that he'll win medals or come really fucking close then he's got the option. I don't think everyone should move but he's a top class centre forward right now. I think he can go play for any of the biggest in Europe.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Ask Gareth Bale that question, as he blows kisses to each of his three Champions League medals. Yeah of course it'd be better to win it with the club you grew with or are most passionate about, but it happens- some players get to a point where they're desperate to have success match their merits. Henry moved to win the Champions League and Cesc moved to be a league champion. See Van Persie, too. I bet Gerrard secretly regrets not moving somewhere else (Chelsea) to win the league.

@SuperBacon England could face either Colombia or Poland in the second round, or Senegal if Sane is in superman mode. Or Japan if the other teams forget how to play football.

Archived