General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't mean better in terms of Kane's purported support for Spurs, I mean that it's more impressive - surely - for any player to lead a team that isn't one of the elites to big trophies than it is to go to one of those big teams and be a cog in a machine that'll win those things regardless. I don't know. I think it is. Bale wasn't in a team as good as Kane is. Bale was several levels above everybody else he was playing alongside during his days at Spurs. Kane is playing in a very good team who - and I disagree with Rick here - are actually capable of winning big trophies. I don't think Spurs have regressed at all. As far as league form goes, the Wembley factor has played a part - especially earlier in the season. It isn't home, it never will be. We were always going to have to fight to stay in the top four this year and make sure we're playing top level European football in the new place. We smashed our CL group, which is progress compared with last year.

I do think I agree with Danny Rose. We need to spend money, take the risk for the reward that comes with reaching the next level. I don't know if Levy can or will do that. I hope so. Especially since we will probably sell Rose and Dele in the summer.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah above the winning trophies thing if Spurs don't shatter their wage structure then they'll never build a team of long standing success. Kane can wax lyrical about staying all he wants, the moment his agent gets a snifter of £200k plus a week he'll be banging down Levy's door quicker than Punkstep can make a 'not this season' quip.

• Paid Members

The Telegraph reckon Southampton have accepted a £75m bid for Van Dijk from Liverpool. That's a massive fee, obviously. He's not looked great recently but how much of that is because he doesn't really want to be at Southampton is anyone's guess.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah above the winning trophies thing if Spurs don't shatter their wage structure then they'll never build a team of long standing success. 

I think this is key for Spurs to remain a major player. I agree with SpursRiot that Spurs can win trophies with their current squad (well, I did think that, now I think only City can win anything), however keeping that squad intact is another matter. Walker was the first to be tempted by the big bucks and others will surely follow. Levy HAS to do what the likes of Gazidis and Wenger have failed to do- change the wage structure to compete with the others. They have to, otherwise they are going to have to ensure they have one of the best scouting and negotiation teams to constantly bring in strong replacements.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Man United should throw every none debt servicing penny they have at Bale and Kane. As well as being the ultimate fuck you to Spurs I reckon they're the perfect players to turn Mourinhos ailing fortunes around. Won' be able to cry about lack of money though.

No hope in that happening. They couldnt deliver Peresic. And for all Inter didnt particularly want to sell, it was over a few million quid that it didnt get done. For the turn over United have, there's no way they shouldnt be able to spend a fortune every transfer window (I mean, they sort of do anyway). It's been like this for a decade now, though. Can you imagine any other supposed big club selling Ronaldo for £80 million and bringing in Valencia, Obertain and Michael Owen in as a replacement? There would have been pigs heads thrown on the pitch at Real or Barca.

Football is fucking mad now, though. £75 million is the new £15 million.

Milan had Bonucci for about £35m. Same price United paid for that Swedish lad. If Chelsea went in for Bonnuci it'd have cost £50m plus. David Luis has about £130m in transfer fees. The market is bonkers.

Personally,  if we're looking to spend £75m on one player I'd have went and bought Aubameyang. VVD won't stop us leaking goals. We'll still have an average Goalie and not one single midfielder who can dictate the tempo of a game. Two things I don't see us addressing so Virgil will just be another helpless sod facing a barrage of attacks when we're struggling to hold on to a lead. 

• Paid Members

Remember you have Keita joining in the summer, and there are now reports that Liverpool could sort a pre-contract agreement with Goretzka to sign on a free in the summer. That's fucking brilliant business if that happens. Personally I wouldn't bother with Aubameyang, somebody more in the mould of Coutinho to replace him if he leaves instead. The way your lot seem to utilise your attacking players seems to be working fine as it is, even without a 'traditional' striker.

Just spunk loads of money on more decent defenders, a goalkeeper that isn't petrified of footballs and somebody to sit in front of the back four, and you have a team to challenge for the title.

• Paid Members

I remember when United spent £6 million on Andy Cole, and there were some people that actually vomited due to the impact of the signing. You could have bought Newcastle for £6 million a few years prior to that. But 3 years late £6 million was nothing. United paid double that for Dwight Yorke. Even 5 months later, that Cole record was broken by Liverpool signing Stan Collymore.

You have to ask "what is a bargain" these days. Eric Bailly was £30 million, and he's such a fantastic prospect. Powerful, fast, the lot. But is £30 million a bargain in any language? We're in an era where eventually we're going to see a stunningly embarrassing transfer. In the next few years we're going to see someone as shit as Dong Fangzhuo going for about £80 million based on a bit of hype from an agent on the windup.

Archived