GLOW

HarmonicGenerator

Binge watched this over the weekend and already can't wait for another season. It was brilliantly done and I thought it really portrayed wrestling in a positive light. I'd go so far as to say it's the best wrestling show I've seen that wasn't made by WWE.  I'd take this over The Wrestler every time.

It was alright.  Was an easy watch the whole way through and the Sam Sylvia character was really good, but I can't say I'm fussed either way if it gets a second season.  Having said that I suspect they'll have way more material for a second season now that all of the backstory is out of the way. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, pushed me to rewatch the documentary — I think I got more upset the second time around. The minute Fiji showed up on screen, I started tearing up, and by the time they wheeled into the reunion, I was totally knackered.

This was a totally insane thing that happened to her and her family

Also, I'd forgotten what a cracker Little Egypt was and is.

I struggled with the series but was ultimately pretty entertained by it, it's refreshing to see a TV series portraying wrestling in a fairly positive manner. I read interviews with some of they actresses before watching and they all seemed to really appreciate and have a new found understanding of how tough wrestling is and it's history. They were taught wrestling history which I'm pleased about as I'm sure it inspired them to give more realistic performances and not just ham it up in a stereotypical way as I really expected them to do before viewing.

My issues with the series though is that it struggled to find its genre and was light on drama, comedy and action. I think they could have turned the volume up on one of all of those to give the show a better direction and more bite. I'd like to have seen a darker side with more in the way of emotion and overall depth it seemed to skim by quite nicely without any real shocks or character development. I found myself forgetting the characters names and backstory by the 2nd episode hopefully if a second series comes along they will be able to flesh out the characters a bit more and give me a reason to care about them.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, BigJag said:

There's a piece about GLOW on Ch4s Sunday Brunch. It just finished. You should be able to catch it on CH4+1 from about 1210. I didn't Realise there was a British actress on the cast.

There is a Frankie Crisp shaped world of hurt coming your way. 

• Paid Members

EVE are getting a ton of publicity off the back of GLOW, which is good to see.

As well as the Buzzfeed article, over the last couple of months they have been covered by The Independent, Metro, TimeOut, Kerrang!, and the New York Times, and their last show had a lot of press and non-wrestling fans in attendance.

I was actually interviewed outside ResGal after the last show, but can't remember (if I was told) who for, as I was a bit pissed.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this on NF, found it more entertaining than watching the network or GFW.  Would happily welcome another season. 

• 2 weeks later...